WOIN Trying to figure out motorcycle jousting

Faolin

Villager
As the thread title implies I need a bit of help figuring out how to make motorcycle jousting work. Looking at the vehicle rules for head on collisions the most logical way I can think of to resolve damage being total speedx3+lance damage. Unfortunately, not only does this this feel highly exploitable it also does not answer several key questions that also need ruled on.

If the jouster connects looking at the vehicle collision rules the driver would need to make a very high drive check to not fall off the bike, should there be a way to mitigate that check?

Should the jouster take damage, or should the lance take the damage first with remainder going to the jouster if the lance breaks?

If a character has the immobile mutation, would that simply prevent the

I know motorcycle jousting is not a reasonable thing, but I think rule of cool>reasonable.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hmmm. I don’t think jousting is the same as vehicle collision. I feel like it would almost be it’s own “mini-game”. Let me think on it!

M3woods

Explorer
Opponents use Driving skills for Initiative rolls, modified by Acceleration. Make attack rolls as normal; damage is non-lethal, except in cases of Critical hits. When a rider is hit he must make a STR check vs. a ROUTINE [10] + Damage difficulty. Failing the check unseats the rider, gaining an additional 1d6 non-lethal damage.

Of course, using the Called Shot options, a rider may forego a damaging attack and, instead, focus his effort on unseating the opponent (Trip) or breaking the opponents lance (Sunder).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wouldn't have thought at initiative roll would be needed. Attacks would be simultaneous.

I'd say simultaneous attacks, but you use your riding skill as your attack skill.

M3woods

Explorer
I wouldn't have thought at initiative roll would be needed. Attacks would be simultaneous.

I'd say simultaneous attacks, but you use your riding skill as your attack skill.

That makes sense. Simultaneous attacks create the possibility of both riders being unseated on the same run.

If this is a contest similar in style to medieval jousting I'd include opportunities for modifiers based on 'smack talking' and bike damages since bikes obviously Spin Out if the driver is knocked from the seat. Some maintenance would have to take place between runs. Maybe use a table like below when the driver is unseated?

2d6 EFFECT
2Tire is punctured, all checks -1d6
3-5Swingarm damaged, reduce SPEED by 1d6
6-8Busted Fairing, no additional effect
9-10Fork Tubes are bent, reduce HANDLING by 1 class
11Engine is damaged, reduce ACCEL by half (round up)
12Fuel Tank ruptured, bike inoperable until replaced/repaired

Remove ads