Game set up.

Richards

Legend
I DM for six players. I have a kitchen table with seating for six in the middle of my man cave/gaming room. The players sit around the table, while I sit in the chair at my computer station off to the side. (I play the background music from the computer, generally hour-long episodes of the radio program "Music from the Hearts of Space" with musical themes appropriate to the adventure at hand.) I generally do my die rolling on the table where everyone can see the results.

I also play in a different campaign run by my adult son, but we use the same gaming area. We only have five players in that campaign, so I sit at the table with the others (including the DM).

Johnathan

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I've played sitting around dinning tables, couches at coffee tables, the bottom bunk in a bunkbed, even while sitting on a toilet. I prefer the dinning table. Lots of room for books, dice, and other items. I too, have used computers. I had a PC off to the side, but laptops replaced it. While I still like a stack of books, I do utilize pdf books also. Comes in handy to have more than one copy open to different sections for quick reference.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I bought a conference table and six conference room chairs from a company that was selling off a bunch of old furniture and equipment on Craigslist, which I've set up in my basement near a wood stove and kitchenette (full fridge, mini stove, sink and decent amount of counter space and cabinets. Nice for pot-luck game days. Also have a number of folding tables.

When not running my D&D game, the conference table is a general activity/game/craft/homework table. On game day, I set up two smaller tables at the end of the conference table, making a kind of L shape that I sit behind. On the side, I set up a large plasma TV for displaying maps, etc. And I have plenty of room for my lap top and books on the other table. I sometimes extend the conference room table with an additional folding table and some comfortable folding chairs when we have a larger group. I've thought of getting fancy "game" tables, but none have seemed as convenient as a number of high quality folding tables in different sized. If I had a larger area, I would replace my heavy conference table with four high-quality, solid 8' commercial folding tables. I could just have two set up most of the time and easily set up two more when I need. Or I could have multiple separate games going on at the same time. Basically, I want my basement to be a mini version of a LFGS.

I am looking at building or having built for me a portable digital map case for tabletop games. Something like this: https://www.collabrewate.com/blog/2018/3/6/portable-tv-case-tabletop-games

In the past I thought about getting one built into the table, but having it separate is more practical. You can just put it away when not using it. You can carry it to a game store or friend's home. You can move it to different room in the house. I actually like that it is higher than the table, so spills are not a concern and player dice and papers don't intrude on the battlemap. I play a lot different games and have young kids, so I want tables I don't worry about spills, markers, scratches. Where people can just relax and have fun. I can put up a tabletop Foosball or air hockey, switch to board games, move to TTRPGs all in a single afternoon.

My favorite table, though, was a friend that took a section of a bowling lane floor when the bowling alley was being torn down and built a table out of it. Thing was indestructible and you'd need to really give it a hard kick to shake it enough to upset a drink. But it was also huge and heavy. Something you built for a room and would not easily change or move it.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I don't currently host any games, though I do run. When last I hosted I was running 3.5 which was very grid intensive so we played around a dining room table. Back when I was still running at our house regularly I was away for a three day weekend and my wife pulled a "while you were out". God a bunch fo our friends over, painted the spare room to look like parchment, put up candle sconses, changed out the overhead light for something that was more thematic (but still generally acceptable), got a wall tapestry and some other decor, and turned the spare room into a cool gaming area.

Where I currently run we're just around the kitchen table at a friend's. I think just inertia / having a place to roll dice and write notes.

A place I play is the clubhouse of their apartment complex. Big and comfy, and few people ever go there. That started with a friend putting together a game with people found online, so not doing it in a private space made sense, but it's really worked out.

Remove ads