Most frustrating quirk of 5E?

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Oh, right, I forgot one thing:

Digest-sized softcover of the books. I love having my books with me, but can't lug them all to the game every week, along with everything else.

schnee

First Post
Why does healing over a long rest bother so many people? Hit points are a measure of how tough a character/creature is. It's not merely raw physical damage sustained. It is supposed to represent much more then that. It's an abstract system meant to encompass more raw damage but still kept simple. Getting your wind back, recovering from shock, minor sprains, so on and so forth.

Well, I know when healing was slower it forced us to approach all combat with much more trepidation and scheming. This edition, I have a hard time getting players to do anything but charge in and attack.

In 1E, we did a lot more in the way of traps, ambushes, scouting, setting up unfair advantages, and shenanigans like 'cast Glyph of Warding on a bunch of small flat pieces of stone, put them on the floor around the corner, and lure the bad guys in to it'. When you get worn down easily and can't reliably heal up every morning, then you definitely tread more carefully and plan more.

I think it removes some of the potential to apply pressure on the characters in a low-key way that drives them forward and makes the game more engaging. It also rewards cleverness, stealth, gathering intel, and parlaying / negotiating far more than charging in and sucking up HP of damage to bounce back to 100% tomorrow.

I think if I reduced healing, I'd reduce some monster hit points as well, so combats are less of a multi-round slugfest, and the rewards for getting surprise and engaging with the game in a more strategic manner are more rewarded.

Hell, I'd be happier if they even ended up with more hit points than now at the end of the day if it made them sweat - and think - more.

CapnZapp

Legend
Well, I know when healing was slower it forced us to approach all combat with much more trepidation and scheming. This edition, I have a hard time getting players to do anything but charge in and attack.

In 1E, we did a lot more in the way of traps, ambushes, scouting, setting up unfair advantages, and shenanigans like 'cast Glyph of Warding on a bunch of small flat pieces of stone, put them on the floor around the corner, and lure the bad guys in to it'. When you get worn down easily and can't reliably heal up every morning, then you definitely tread more carefully and plan more.

I think it removes some of the potential to apply pressure on the characters in a low-key way that drives them forward and makes the game more engaging. It also rewards cleverness, stealth, gathering intel, and parlaying / negotiating far more than charging in and sucking up HP of damage to bounce back to 100% tomorrow.

I think if I reduced healing, I'd reduce some monster hit points as well, so combats are less of a multi-round slugfest, and the rewards for getting surprise and engaging with the game in a more strategic manner are more rewarded.

Hell, I'd be happier if they even ended up with more hit points than now at the end of the day if it made them sweat - and think - more.
Yes, the attrition model presumes that every 1d6 stab your character takes is bad for you, and cannot easily be replenished (without spending a precious spell).

Even if you *know* you will easily kill the goblins, you might still hesitate attacking them, since it likely is very avoidable.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
C'mon! You know this. YOU HAVE TO KNOW THIS!

And the Mearls spake, saying, First shalt thou attune one time. Then shalt thou attune three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number of magic items thou shalt attune, and the number of the items attuned shall be three.

Four shalt thou not attune, neither stoppeth thou at two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

Five attunements is right out!

Once the number of three, being the third number, be reached for attunements, then thou shalt have all thy attunement slots fulfilled.

Sometimes, I wonder if this is really a TTRPG board ....

I really wish I had remembered this....well played...

Retreater

Legend
My biggest frustration is the Inspiration mechanic. It's either forgotten by players or annoyingly sought after by power gamer types.
Also dislike backgrounds. I think they should be more general. Like "my character was a soldier and I fought goblins so my character should be able to speak goblin and get a bonus to track them." Or maybe your acolyte character has the ability to turn undead once per day?

My biggest frustration is the Inspiration mechanic. It's either forgotten by players or annoyingly sought after by power gamer types.
Also dislike backgrounds. I think they should be more general. Like "my character was a soldier and I fought goblins so my character should be able to speak goblin and get a bonus to track them." Or maybe your acolyte character has the ability to turn undead once per day?

I'm with you on inspiration.

It's why I just wrote a thread on it here:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?655586-Using-ideals-bonds-flaws-and-traits-for-advantage

1) Melee Sneak Attack working only with finesse weapons, and not all light weapons as well. Seriously, let me zonk somebody in the head with a damn club (an iconic Sneak Attack if there ever is one) and get Sneak Attack damage for it!

2) Dual wielding requiring BOTH weapons be light for the bonus action attack. Which pretty much kills the classic real-world rapier + dagger setup unless you take the Dual Wielder feat. Should've required only the off-hand weapon to be light. Dual-wielding is already on the weak side of combat styles for anything other than Rogues and Paladins, so letting you use a 1d8 main-hand weapon ain't gonna disrupt game balance one iota there.

3) DEX-mod to weapon damage. Or for that matter, ANY mod to damage with weapons other than STR. Yes, including ranged weapons; in fact, DEX-mod to damage there is why ranged combat is overpowered in 5e. Also, crossbows shouldn't add any ability mod to damage period.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
the Surprised condition. I preferred the "Surprise Round" mechanic.

Also, reminded about at last play session: the PH Index leaves a lot to be desired. Just TRY to look up something that you don't remember where it is!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases