Why 5E may be the last edition of D&D

Mercurius

Legend
The Amazon thread inspired a thought I wanted to explore. D&D is, from everything I've heard, thriving in a way that it hasn't since at least the boom era of the early 80s, perhaps even ever. In the past, we've gone through several edition cycles, which follow a pattern something like so: New edition comes out, game thrives, expands, over-extends itself, declines, collapses. Shortish fallow period. New edition comes out, etc...

Not unlike the rise and fall of empires, really, although in this case D&D is reborn from its own ashes. That is the cycle of life, and inevitable. Or is it?

But here's the thing: D&D may be too big to come out with a new edition. New editions are primarily driven by sales (core books) - or the decline and lack thereof, but also by the interest of the designers and what they perceive to be trends within the industry. So as long as D&D thrives, there is really no reason to create a new edition - or rather, any other reason (e.g. "to make the game better" or change things up) just doesn't hold muster to the bottom line.

So "never" is not right, really. What is more accurate is to saythat we just can't predict when there will be a new edition or what it will be like, because we don't know how long D&D will continue to thrive. Maybe this will just be a longer cycle, and so in that sense we might see a new edition in a decade or so.

But let's say they really have accomplished what they hoped to do: Turned D&D into an evergreen game, a perennial classic like Monopoly or Risk - one that abides, with only relatively minor fluctuations. If that is truly the case, a new edition would be disastrous. Why? Because a new edition means re-learning the game and playing a different style of D&D. Now this is something that a lot of diehards like to do. But casual fans generally don't.

Here's an analogy. If you're a hardcore fantasy novel fan, then you probably love the process of starting a new series, entering and learning about a new world, its history and lore, etc. If you are a casual fan, you might like Harry Potter or Tolkien, but you don't want to invest too much time or energy, so chances are if you read a fantasy book you'll go back to something you know and love - a new HP book, something "like Tolkien." You probably won't pick up Malazan Book of the Fallen, and if you do you'll be turned off by the learning curve (sort of like AD&D vs. BECMI, back in the day).

D&D is thriving because it has a ton of casual to moderate fans. In fact, I would argue that all edition cycles see a boom of more casual to moderate fans, then an inevitable contraction as those fans slip away and we're left with the hardcore base. What seems different this time is that contraction hasn't occurred. Yet. But we're four and a half years in and the game is just becoming more popular.

At some point it will max out. But the question, then, is whether or not it stabilizes at a high plateau, or contracts and collapses.

Now if WotC has stumbled upon a formula that will allow for the current status quo to continue in a plateau form, with only minor fluctuations, then they won't do anything more than maybe cosmetic changes and possibly provide more options. But they won't overhaul the system. They won't want to distance those casual/moderate fans that have turned D&D from a fringe hobby to a thriving, mainstream one.

We might see other games, variants on D&D. Not only "scifi D&D" but maybe even something like "advanced D&D." But D&D itself will remain pretty much unchanged. There won't be an overhaul of the rules until after the popularity of the current edition collapses, and we see absolutely no sign of that in the near future. Maybe not for years, and maybe "never" - at least in this late pre-Singularity era ;).

Of course we don't know. There are so many factors, unforeseen shifts - cultural, societal, technological changes. I was mostly joking about the "pre-Singularity era," but not totally. A lot of very smart people prognosticate major societal changes, whether through climate change and/or AI, that will utterly transform human existence over the next several decades.

But for the foreseeable future, "The D&D Abides" - and 5e will live on, at least for as long as the game continues. May it be the Last Edition of Dungeons & Dragons?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Mearls said on Twitter abotu a minor rule change a while back that it wouldn't be worth it unless it would usher in world peace. I don't recall which rule it was, but it was fairly minor. Even if they do a 6E, it would be backwards compatible, with a new coat of paint possibly. The current art style has been extremely successful, too.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, nothing in the history of the world has ever lasted forever. I suspect this edition will last longer than any previous ones, but 6E will one day be a big thing. Maybe the biggest thing!

Mercurius

Legend
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION], on a completely different note, everytime I see the "Frazzled" underneath your name I think "Fraz-urb'luu," which isn't comforting.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
its just been 4 years. I think they will start thinking seriously about 6e in the next couple of years, and we would see it around 2024, restoring the 10 year edition cycle.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
2024 would also be the 50th Anniversary -- a good time for a major release.

I'll be really excited about 6E if it's largely the same as 5E, and completely compatible with all the 5E adventures. I suspect I'm not alone in that. For an example of a game that does this exactly right, look at the edition process for Savage Worlds. Each edition is mostly the same as the previous, with incremental improvements to problematic rules, and you can run adventures written for previous editions with almost no conversion needed (very old adventures use a slightly different system for melee damage, so you have to covert 1d8+2 into 1d8+1d6 on-the-fly, which isn't too bad).

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I want to see 6e lower the number of expected daily encounters down quite drastically. 2-3 per day I think would be ideal.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I think the weakest part of 5e is its dependence on the Forgotten Realms. if there’s something that players will tire of it’s playing in that Disneyworld-esque mess of poor world building. :)

I think I could imagine a major refresh that not only tightened up some of the rougher parts (probably by pruning rather than adding) but also introduced a new baseline setting built on a fresh and fantastic world. FR really bogs the game down IMHO.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
One book that might be interesting to see would be something like a guide to world building so DM's get tools and advice on how to create and run their own custom world and setting.

Remove ads