Help: Player wants to be Super Mario

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
Due to Smash Ultimate coming out I have a player who wants to roll Mario...

In my mind a Mountain Dwarf Way of the Elements Monk would solve this...
From the Trinket List I gave him the 'bit of folded cloth that, when unfolded turns into a stylish cap.'

Personality Traits:
I can find common ground between the fiercest enemies, empathizing with them and always working toward peace.
Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
I would rather make a new friend than a new enemy.
I don't pay attention to the risks in a situation. Never tell me the odds.

Ideals:
Bonds of friendship last forever.
People deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
There's no good pretending to be something I'm not.
You are willing to try anything and love good, friendly competition (Mario Party/Kart etc.).

Bonds: I will do anything to prove myself superior to my hated rival (Bowser).
Loves to eat mushrooms and collects gold coins.

Flaws:
Distrustful of Dragons (Bowser).
Can't resist helping a pretty woman (Peach, Daisy etc.)
Prefers a simple solution instead of complicated ones.

Any other suggestions...

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
I created Mario for my one-shot Mario Does D&D. You can check it out there and please feel free to use the scenario to entertain your players.

How did you justify Mario as a Fighter when he generally doesn't wear armor or actually use weapons...
(NOT ATTACKING your creativity...simply wondering?!)

My justification for a Dwarf was height/beard as well as the Dwarves Weapon Training (Throwing Hammers and Warhammer's)
Monk was so that he specializes in punch and kicks (Thinking mainly of Mario in Smash)
Elemental so that he can have/use fire abilities.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
How did you justify Mario as a Fighter when he generally doesn't wear armor or actually use weapons...
(NOT ATTACKING your creativity...simply wondering?!)

My justification for a Dwarf was height/beard as well as the Dwarves Weapon Training (Throwing Hammers and Warhammer's)
Monk was so that he specializes in punch and kicks (Thinking mainly of Mario in Smash)
Elemental so that he can have/use fire abilities.

I do a lot of this sort of stuff and one thing I've come to realize is that it's better in my view to think about the concept as D&D+Mario (or D&D plus whatever) than trying to strictly simulate the concept with D&D mechanics. So it's Mario with a layer of D&D on top. This is a lot easier to accomplish. I also tend to use just the Basic Rules when posting things so that limits what character builds I can use.

What's more, I haven't played any Mario games since the early 90s. So if something works better with new incarnations of Mario, do that.

MarkB

Legend
Due to Smash Ultimate coming out I have a player who wants to roll Mario...

In my mind a Mountain Dwarf Way of the Elements Monk would solve this...

[SNIP]

Any other suggestions...
Maybe make a modified Athlete feat. Instead of the +1 ability bonus, have it allow you to add your proficiency bonus to the damage of any unarmed attack you make against an enemy if you use your movement to jump adjacent to them.

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
Maybe make a modified Athlete feat. Instead of the +1 ability bonus, have it allow you to add your proficiency bonus to the damage of any unarmed attack you make against an enemy if you use your movement to jump adjacent to them.

I like this idea and got me thinking of another way to accomplish this...

Maybe instead of the Slow Fall Ability at 4th Level you gain a modification to the Step of the Wind ki feature.

It says your jump is doubled...and the 4th level ability would cost an additional 1 ki point to allow your proficiency bonus to either the damage roll or the damage of any unarmed attack they make against an enemy if they use their movement to jump adjacent to them.

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
I do a lot of this sort of stuff and one thing I've come to realize is that it's better in my view to think about the concept as D&D+Mario (or D&D plus whatever) than trying to strictly simulate the concept with D&D mechanics. So it's Mario with a layer of D&D on top. This is a lot easier to accomplish. I also tend to use just the Basic Rules when posting things so that limits what character builds I can use.

What's more, I haven't played any Mario games since the early 90s. So if something works better with new incarnations of Mario, do that.

Your right on the money with the early Mario reference. In Super Smash the way he mainly fights is by punching and he always has a minor Fire Flower ability to shoot simple Fireballs.

The Dwarf/Monk abilities I am talking about are a part of the 5E Basic Rules in the Player's Handbook.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Your right on the money with the early Mario reference. In Super Smash the way he mainly fights is by punching and he always has a minor Fire Flower ability to shoot simple Fireballs.

The Dwarf/Monk abilities I am talking about are a part of the 5E Basic Rules in the Player's Handbook.

What I mean by "Basic Rules" is the free PDF which only includes the cleric, fighter, rogue, and wizard classes. Monk isn't in the Basic Rules.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Background: Guild Artisan (Plumber)

Also I think you want Hill Dwarf (+Wisdom, +1 HP/level) rather than Mountain Dwarf. The +2 Str from Mountain Dwarf is nice, but the light/medium armor proficiency is totally useless for you.

Remove ads