Mapping program with 'Dwarven Forge' Tileset?

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Do any of the dungeon mapping programs have a tileset that matches the tiles in Dwarven Forge and / or Mystic Modular?

Now that I've amassed a collection of these things, finding such a tool for myself and the other DM in my group would be ideal for making it easier for us to plan out using them.

Silveras

First Post
Visio

I use Visio, from the MS Office suite, and have made my own stencils of the MasterMaze pieces.

If nothing else turns up, I could make them available.

Silveras

First Post
Sample Visio Image

This image was re-scaled in MSPaint, to 1/25 (4%) original size. The stencils I use are sized 1:1 with the pieces (made it easier to create the stencils that way). As a result, if you can't travel with (or do not yet own any of) the pieces, you can still print out a full-size battle-mat.

Attachments

• SampleMap2.JPG
    SampleMap2.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 299

KenM

Banned
Banned
I think it would be cool if dwarven forge came out with a program. You enter what sets you own and it comes out with maps that you can print out in any scale.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Dungeon Crafter is a simple bit map program, with add on images. Being a bit map, this allows you to create you own images via scaning or cut & paste into MS-Paint.

MarauderX

Explorer
I will second Dungeon Crafter. It's easy to use and makes bitmaps for you to use, which you can scale up in another program and smooth out the edges a bit before printing. I have had to fudge the scaling and still don't have it down to a science, but so far it works well since I can have the whole map on an 8.5x11 and give out the separate rooms piecemeal according to what the PCs can see. It kinda defeats the purpose of the Dwarven Forge dungeon pieces, but at least all can see around the table.

Silveras

First Post
MasterMaze is hard for tiles

The difficulty with using a tile-based mapper for MasterMaze is that the tile-based mappers (at least the ones I have looked at) use square tiles. The MasterMaze materials do not fit that model well. The passage pieces, for example, have the traditional 2-five-foot-squares width, plus walls added on the sides (about 1/4 inch each side). Other pieces are irregularly shaped (the Caverns, and the new Cavernous Passages, for example), although all have at least 2 "square" edges for joining to other pieces. Other "odd" pieces (from the Advanced Builders' Set) include 1-square-by-2-square+wall fillers, and partial walls for making small rooms. The odd-sized but still rectangular pieces would be relatively easy to create as tiles, but the irregular cavern pieces might be harder to manage.

MythosaAkira

Explorer
Silveras said:
The difficulty with using a tile-based mapper for MasterMaze is that the tile-based mappers (at least the ones I have looked at) use square tiles. The MasterMaze materials do not fit that model well. The passage pieces, for example, have the traditional 2-five-foot-squares width, plus walls added on the sides (about 1/4 inch each side). Other pieces are irregularly shaped (the Caverns, and the new Cavernous Passages, for example), although all have at least 2 "square" edges for joining to other pieces. Other "odd" pieces (from the Advanced Builders' Set) include 1-square-by-2-square+wall fillers, and partial walls for making small rooms. The odd-sized but still rectangular pieces would be relatively easy to create as tiles, but the irregular cavern pieces might be harder to manage.

You could still use square tiles, but you'd need to accomodate having pieces that use multiple squares. Cavern pieces could fit into a square/rectangular mold - you would simply have to have "empty space" between the square "edge" and the irregular wall part.

I've been toying with the idea of making an MM mapper for awhile - it would make mapping a lot easier than pulling out the pieces and setting them up like I do now :) I'll have to think about this again and see how much time it would take...

heruca

Explorer
Old thread, I know, but...

I'm currently working on trying to get the Dwarven Forge tiles ported to my MapForge software, which could theoretically replace their Map Maker web app. Follow this thread for info & developments.

Remove ads