D&D 5E What can a wizard do in that other casters can't?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Different casters, between their spell list and features, often have niches that other classes can't match.

For sorcerers, metamagic can lead to twinned single target buffs, something no other class can do. The also can manage more quickened spell + cantrip nova output.

For bards, they have a list that's great at crowd control and debuffing, and then they have features usable at the same time for buffing (or more debuffing) that gives them a double dip of that.

Wizards can change their spells the best to fit a situation - assuming you are in the type of campaign where you can get information ahead of time that's a great boost. But clerics and druids can also do that, and they can pick from their entire list.

But what else can Wizards do to a degree more then the other casters out there besides their spell flexibility?

In other words, why wizard instead of some other caster. (Outside knowledge skills.)

Starting at 2nd level, Arcane Recovery is a pretty big deal, letting them cast more spells per day than the other full casters. Only one specific subclass of Druid matches that. (Sorcerers can get additional spell slots per day but give up Metamagic to do so, which, uh, defeats the purpose of being a Sorcerer. Wizards give up nothing for theirs.)

Wizards can do more with a certain school of spells of their choice, and most of the school subclasses are pretty good with it (really anything except for Evocation).

And at very high levels (18+), at-will 1st and 2nd level spells are great. At-will Shield and Misty Step? Yes, please.

Also out of the three preparation casters (Wizards, Clerics, Druids), only Wizards will get to cast lovely things like Contingency, Simulacrum and Wish. Also being a prepared caster isn't only useful in the case you can get information beforehand. Take aformentioned Simulacrum, for instance: You'll only need to prepare it for a day that you actually create a Simulacrum, then memorize something else on days you won't.

Last edited:

Gavin O.

First Post
A Divination wizard has something no other class has access to: A way to force a failed save. Legendary Resistance lessens this power somewhat at super high levels, but aside from that, there are plenty of "save or do nothing" Spells (Polymorph, Banishment) that a Divination wizard can use without fear of failing.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
Wizards have the best form of ritual casting by default; they can ritual cast any spell in their spellbook without having to prepare it. Ritual casters and warlocks who take Book of Secrets can do basically the same thing, but it costs them more. I think a lot of players underestimate just how nice being able to cast things like detect magic, unseen servant, and leomund's hut without having to burn a spell slot or even prepare the spell is, and wizards can do it from level 1.

Wizards get the wizard spell list, which has some really impressive spells that basically no one else gets and a lot of pretty much everything but healing. Lore Bards can dip a little but that's a 'your special ability is to get a little of what wizards get a lot of'. I haven't delved into the Bard spell list, but the wizard list also has a lot of crowd and battlefield control spells, and I wouldn't be surprised if they can beat a bard at that game. Wizard subclasses have a ton of really good abilities. Some of them are 'meh', but ones like diviner, abjurer, illusionist, and transmuter are really good, and very unique.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It's a good thing this question wasn't asked of clerics. Their important defining feature from other spell casters appears to be heavier armor proficiency...

The most important feature a wizard gets that sets him apart from all other casters is access to the wizard spell list coupled with an ample amount of known spells and an adequate amount of spells prepared.

There's simply no class spell list that gives the important in combat and out of combat options that a wizards list does. Basically, he gets the whole kitchen sink (apart from healing).

Volund

Explorer
Spell acquisition. By adding 2 spells to your spellbook at each level, plus the ability to add any wizard spell you discover, the wizard repertoire very quickly outdistances any other arcane class.

Familiars. Tome and Chain 'locks can get them, as can anyone who takes the magic initiate or ritual caster feat, but wizards get them from level one.

As previously mentioned, the ability to cast a ritual at will from a spellbook without having to prepare the spell like a cleric is a premier class ability.

Also, being the best at Arcana checks is pretty darn useful in a magical world. Comes up all the time in our games.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
To sum up:

Wizards have a great list, and the best daily access to them for a arcane class (clerics & druids have access to all spells). This gives them access to fantastic spells - a wider range then other class plus some best-in-breed. Plus the ability to swap out including during down-days to get specific not-all-the-time spells like Simulacrum.

Wizards can cast rituals without preparing them.

They have a few more low level slots a day due to arcane recovery.

Their subclasses give cool things that are generally not the same as other caster subclasses. Except Evocation. Of special note is Divination who can, depending on the roll, force a failed save. Also, they have good cap abilities.

Bringing these all together, it sounds like the final result is not that they can really do things that others can't, but can do more things than any one of the others can. Between their great spell list, ability to customize, ability to cast rituals even if not prepared they are the most flexible and swiss-army-knife of the casters.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Wizards have the best form of ritual casting by default; they can ritual cast any spell in their spellbook without having to prepare it. Ritual casters and warlocks who take Book of Secrets can do basically the same thing, but it costs them more. I think a lot of players underestimate just how nice being able to cast things like detect magic, unseen servant, and leomund's hut without having to burn a spell slot or even prepare the spell is, and wizards can do it from level 1.

Wizards get the wizard spell list, which has some really impressive spells that basically no one else gets and a lot of pretty much everything but healing. Lore Bards can dip a little but that's a 'your special ability is to get a little of what wizards get a lot of'. I haven't delved into the Bard spell list, but the wizard list also has a lot of crowd and battlefield control spells, and I wouldn't be surprised if they can beat a bard at that game. Wizard subclasses have a ton of really good abilities. Some of them are 'meh', but ones like diviner, abjurer, illusionist, and transmuter are really good, and very unique.

My Swashbuckler/Bladesinger loves that feature.

Also, the wizard subclasses tend to do stuff no one else can, and wizards have the most versatility in terms of what sorts of effects their spells have, not to mention some spells that just don't have any other equivalent, like Magnificent Mansion, Bigby's Hand, etc.

And yeah, being able to do rituals without prepping them is enormously useful. I can ID items, Detect Magic, bring back my Familiar when she flits off to the fjords, etc, without losing anything in terms of my prepared spells.

Remove ads