Is Lethal Weapon a Christmas move?

Ryujin

Legend
Yes, it is. It's a movie that takes place at Christmas and has a heart-warming ending.

I'd say that in that respect, "The Last Boyscout" also qualifies. Satan Claus fails.

Yes, it is. It's a movie that takes place at Christmas and has a heart-warming ending.

I'd say that in that respect, "The Last Boyscout" also qualifies. Satan Claus fails.
I'd forgotten that one
That and Lethal Weapon, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and Iron Man 3 really show how much Shane Black likes setting movies at Christmas...

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I'd forgotten that one
That and Lethal Weapon, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and Iron Man 3 really show how much Shane Black likes setting movies at Christmas...

While not a Shane Black, I'd also throw in "The Adventured of Ford Fairlane." Seriously, a major character named "Zuzu Petals"?

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Now, Gremlins seems more like a Christmas movie than any so far mentioned. Gizmo was a Christmas gift after all.

This is one of those big questions.

Because if you limit it to movies with magic and wonder, you exclude films like Home Alone and A Christmas Story. And stuff like Gremlins gets in.
If it has to involve Santa then you lose It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Carol. But you allow Bad Santa and Rise of the Guardians.
If it has to be happy and wholesome you lose Nightmare Before Christmas and Christmas Vacation. And you gain Santa Buddies.
If it has to be family friendly and for kids you lose Scrooged and A Christmas Tale. But you get all the worst direct-to-video cartoons aimed at incriminating youths such as Dora's Christmas Carol Adventure.

I think the big rules are:
  • It needs to take place around Christmas (or otherwise involve Christmas overtly), and the plot would not easily work at another time of year/ holiday.
  • It needs to have a happy ending and/or positive message
  • The central theme needs to be one commonly associated with Christmas (miracles/ family/ gift giving/ birth of Jesus Christ)

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Remove ads