Is Lethal Weapon a Christmas move?

Janx

Hero
Die Hard is about an estranged Dad who is trying to get back to his family on Christmas eve but is stopped by a Grumpy old man who wants to spoil everybodies fun

Thats the quintessential synopsis of a good number of Christmas movies

Lethal Weapon is NOT a christmas Movie however - its Riggs redemption arc

Gremlins is a Christmas Parable about the dangers of overindulgence and is as much a Christmas story as Krampus is

Pretty much this. In writing land, I learned that if I could cut something out, without changing the story, then it's not needed (and I should cut it out). Everything should be load bearing.

Christmas is the very reason Bruce is traveling across the country. To try to put his marriage back together. At the company christmas party.

Would it make sense to do that in August? There wouldn't be a big company shindig, certainly not one that invites the spirit of family and stuff that Bruce is hoping to help save his marriage.

Take Christmas out and it changes the tone and expectations of the audience on what this all means, and the juxtaposition of the violence that happens. Put it at fourth of july, and it's a America F! Yeah and we'll show Hans and Gerry what for. Wrong tone.

So yup, it's a Christmas movie. Every year this argument crops up on FB with my friends and every year somebody who thinks they knows movies is wrong. Even Bruce.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Setting a movie at Christmas time does not make it 'a Christmas movie'.
Ex: Home Alone would work at any other season (and on the 4th of July would be deadly to the intruders, not a comedy of errors).

How does "the spirit of Christmas" impel needed character changes / improvements to happen, or inform a decision to change one's habits?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases