Sorry Folks, I just can't get into 5e

I never really got into D&D until 5e, it's the only ruleset I found simple enough (+having free basic rules available helped a lot), yet still having enough different build possibilities.

But honestly, I only find it natural to stick with the ruleset you've learned. I wouldn't see any need to ever move to 6e either as long as my group was still going or I could still find players interested in that edition.

So basically my only motivation to learn a new ruleset was if I couldn't find anyone interested in playing the one I know anymore.

S'mon

Legend
I've seriously tried, but I cannot get into to anything beyond Basic D&D and AD&D1e. D20 just does nothing for me. Every version that came out, I tried to read the game rules and be part of the interest but the game is so different than Basic/ADD1e that it might as well be an entirely different game altogether.

I really tried more so with 5e because I was under the impression that the creators made this so it would interest the Mystara people, but it doesn't. It's like playing football one day and waking up in a place where football is now called soccer and you were expected to jump in and learn the rules.

Or maybe it is like being happy with my vinyl records and cassette tapes (ask your grandparents!), and then the music industry decides to only print CD's forcing you to make life changes in how you purchase and listen to music.

signed,

Lost in Indiana

We will just have to try to carry on.

Personally I like pretty well all editions of D&D, even 2e AD&D has a few elements of value. :p

I found with 5e that running it without the PHB option modules (Feats, Multiclassing) helped me get into it - initially I didn't use Skills either, but I eventually found it was easier just to allow them. Still I like how 5e is both robust & easy to tweak, but also works well RAW using just the PHB.

fjw70

Adventurer
This is funny. I was just thinking of starting a thread about ho much I still love 5e afterit has been out for 4 years. I started with BX back in middle school and for me 5e is my favorite version of D&D but I still like others as well.

In my D&D group, we all like it but some of the group likes other editions better. It is a decent compromise edition.

CapnZapp

Legend
I've seriously tried, but I cannot get into to anything beyond Basic D&D and AD&D1e. D20 just does nothing for me. Every version that came out, I tried to read the game rules and be part of the interest but the game is so different than Basic/ADD1e that it might as well be an entirely different game altogether.
Okay.

Seems to me that the OP is looking for the Moldvay Basic out of 5e, they should just:

* Don't use Feats.

* Make Long Rests available only in the City/Home Base.

* Play levels 1-3 only.

* Gold/Treasure for xp and Prime Requisite xp bonus.

* Roll for Ability Scores (which cap at 18) and Money.

* Lawful, Chaotic, Neutral as alignment and Alignment Languages.

* Encumbrance in Coin value.

* Elf is a High Elf Fighter and only they can take Eldritch Knights at 3rd.

* Dwarf is Mountain Dwarf Fighter and takes Champion at 3rd.

* Move all Cantrips (Light being exceedingly important) to 1st level, or, alternatively, make Cantrips fueled by Hit Dice.

* Retainers.

* Mapper, Caller.

* Themed, Stocked, Scaled, Keyed Dungeons with explicit Levels.

* Exploration Turns at 10 minutes > Wandering Monsters > Monster Reactions (instead of the Social Interaction conflict mechanics) > Morale.

That should come pretty close. Instead of rolling 1d6 for checks and succeeding on a 1 or a 2, you're just using the Ability Check system. If you want it to be more Moldvay Basic, make most DCs difficult; 17 - 20 (so failure rate is 67 - 83.5 %).

Nebulous

Legend
Don’t forget that WotC made Basic D&D available via Print on Demand:
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/17171/DD-Rules-Cyclopedia-Basic?it=1
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/16989/DMR2-Creature-Catalog-Basic?it=1

If that’s your thing, all the power to you. I will support that. If it works for your table, then that is all that matters.

But if you want something Basic-esque but with a modern twist.... 5e might work.

I would love to play Basic D&D. I started with 1e and never had a chance to see the other stuff. I have flipped through the rules Cyclopedia though and I really like it! Could anyone make a short list of the major differences between the RC and 5e?

Remove ads