D&D 5E About to run a game on Ravnica

Bupp

Adventurer
I've been approached with starting a new group. One brand new player, two fairly new player, and three experienced players. My three experienced players, and myself, are avid Magic the Gathering players. I was wanting to play something epic, and felt like Ravnica is an excellent starting point.

I've decided to start the players at 7th level, and been generous with stat rolling (1d6+10). Like I said, in the mood to go epic. I was wanting to run thru the story of the last few Magic Sets. A few adventures in Ravnica to grow attached to the setting. Then they get hired to go to Kaladesh to provide protection for the Inventor's Fair and the Planar Bridge. To Ixalan to find Orazca, City of Gold and the Immortal Sun, and to Amonkhet to discover that Nicol Bolas is behind it all. Back to Ravnica to defend it against Nicol Bolas.

Somewhere along the line, the players will develop the Planewalker Spark. I may or may not pull out the Gatewatch as a "rival adventuring party".

We've been doing a Session 0 via email, and so far we have:
Fire Genasi Rakdos assassin rouge
Aarakocra (reskinned as an aven) Rakdos thief rogue
Half Elf Selesnya Oath of Ancients Paladin
Izzet Alchemist (race undecided)
The other two are still deciding.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
As far as I can tell - you haven't actually asked a question. Are you posting just to inform the community or do you want some feedback?

Also, your pest is next to impossible to read if one has (like me) a black background. If you remove formatting from your text (the AxA symbol , 2nd from the left in the edit toolbar), everyone can read it just fine.

Bupp

Adventurer
A little of both. I've noticed some indifference towards GGtR, so yes, letting people know I'm making use of it.

Feedback is always appreciated as well.

IchneumonWasp

Explorer
I'm interested in hearing your experiences! I've received the book as a gift and have already made 2 groups of magic players interested in playing D&D next month. Going to give DM'ing it a try.

I'm currently reading through the book and making notes. I'm really focussing on the different guild-locations and using plot hooks to get 2 other guilds involved when designing my adventures. It feels quite accessible and easy to me, compared to other settings, to think of intrigue and plot twists.

A little of both. I've noticed some indifference towards GGtR, so yes, letting people know I'm making use of it.

Feedback is always appreciated as well.

This sounds good, I'm really interested in Ravnica although I know nothing about the MtG worlds, cards etc...
It's just refreshing to have something new to play with.
Keep us posted on how it goes. I'd love to hear how it runs.

One question, how do you plan to balance the group of adventurers from such a diverse group of Guilds?
Actually, another question... how common is planewalking/portals to other planes in Ravnica? I've come across things that say it's a closed plane, and others that talk about plane-walkers

Are there any good resources online (or elsewhere) in regards to getting a feel for the world / lore?
Cheers

Anyone know if there's an official adventure path down the pipeline for Ravnica? Or even unofficial on DMs Guild?

I have no factual basis for this, but I think they are going to be pushing Ravnica hard in future products, I expect more books, I'm just not sure what they'll be.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
Anyone know if there's an official adventure path down the pipeline for Ravnica? Or even unofficial on DMs Guild?

I think the setting could benefit greatly of the publication of a bigger adventure maybe lvls 1 to 5. There is an ongoing "campaign" by Travis Legge and Beatriz Dias on the DMs Guild so far they have published two adventures for it, the first one is called "Off to a weird start" and the second one "The Palace of Pain's Pleasures". I havent play or run them yet so not much more info I can share.

Nebulous

Legend
I have no factual basis for this, but I think they are going to be pushing Ravnica hard in future products, I expect more books, I'm just not sure what they'll be.

yes, if there was a level 1-5 official product i would be far more inclined to give the setting a chance.

Bupp

Adventurer
We're scheduled to play all day on the 28th.

Once the last two pick their guilds, I plan on picking one of the unused guilds and making them the antagonist. For example, the Gruul Clans are organizing in the Rubblebelt, and are planning a major attack on ____. Some of the guilds caught wind of it, and have formed a temporary truce. The characters are their guild's representative in stopping the Gruul.

I'm not 100% solid on Ravnica lore, and I plan on playing fast and loose with the lore. My game is certainly not canon.

As for their initial move to another plane, I plan on making use of the Planar Bridge.
https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Planar_Bridge

Digging thru the wiki that I linked to is a good way to uncover some of the lore yourself.

The Magic page does a storyline with each set. I haven't read it yet, but here's the current one.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/under-cover-fog-2018-10-10

There is already a decent amount of stuff on the DMs Guild for Ravnica.
https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php...hor=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=&?affiliate_id=624945

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases