If you were able to design your own version of D&D, how would you do it?

Pretty much just do what I've been doing for 40 years - making house rule changes for my own games, my most well-developed set being based primarily on 1E. The only difference is that I'd publish them, although knowing that they'd now be for wider public consumption I'd likely revise them again to accommodate a wider range of approaches to the game rather than quite so narrowly concentrate on just my personal preference.

If I were to use 3E/3.5 as a base it'd probably just look a lot like E6 (but I'm sure there would still be some significant additional changes). Maybe a set of "expansion" rules to 12th level but a lot of the material for that would then be heavily revised and I'm not sure what it would really look like.

I have no familiarity with 4E and I've barely played a minimum of 5E so they'd be of minimal influence.

The simplicity of White Box OD&D married to the elegance of 3e in terms of mechanics (this may mean turning something like m20 into a full-on D&D.) Jettison some of the gunk that's built up, i.e., something much more like 4e's cosmology than the Great Wheel.

The tone of the original game, especially with regards to DM rulings as opposed to rules, married to consistent and elegant design, which the older versions never had, to their vast detriment.

Then, for subsequent products, focus on adventures, campaigns, and example settings. Each year could have a new setting, a campaign set therein, and any number of adventures, depending on demand.

And novels. Whatever happened to the D&D novels, anyway?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I read the story hour start to finish. Haven't seen the finished novels yet (though I know he did them. So cool!). Will definitely give them a look.

Not to hijack, but you'll appreciate this. :)

[sblock] Dranko photo.jpg[/sblock]

Remove ads