WorldOfDarkness.com Closing Down?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

WorldOfDarkness.com Closing Down?

White Wolf has had a terrible year. As a result, they're issuing apologies, recalling books, changing the management, being absorbed into parent company Paradox, advertising for a new Brand Manager, and now... it looks like they're closing down WorldOfDarkness.com.

Name:  wod.png
Views: 24893
Size:  3.9 KB

The message below went out to subscribers of White Wolf's online book reader service. Thanks to Distant Shore for the scoop!

Name:  Duz9DgJWoAYYQoZ.jpg-large.jpg
Views: 11055
Size:  114.8 KB

Novice (Lvl 1)

First of all. Thank you very much. Never thought I would be mentioned on a En World article.
    Regarding the news, I can only say to be really sad to receive the news the day before the site closure.
    May be Paradox could show a little more consideration toward the World of Darkness fans.

This is the only answer I received from Paradox till now: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NZYVKqHg233iUbJ28
    Last edited by TheDistantSh0re; Thursday, 20th December, 2018 at 01:51 AM.
    XP Ralif Redhammer gave XP for this post

I recieved my email notice about my subscription cancellation, and subsequent refund (for the back catalogue library) this morning too.

It isn't a surprise - this is what White Wolf being dissolved means. The Onyx Path will continue, with their own business and licences. Not sure what they'll do with with the V5 license while they tailor the content to their own fanbase - but it's there anyway.

For me, however, Helmgast's Kult: Divinity Lost now becomes the default flagbearer for the 'modern horror, aimed at mature audiences' schtick. The new edition is incredible, but considering the hullabaloo with White Wolf this year, I'm hoping it remains a more low key release within the wider RPG community, notwithstanding it's own censorship issues before it's release.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

And here I had two free months courtesy of the Humble Bundle...
    XP Jer gave XP for this post

Damn it all!!!!

Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Its going to be a long, hard road for the game to recover from this year.
    Last year V5 was the most anticipated RPG of the year. And now the game is struggling to get its planned releases out, let alone move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
    Its going to be a long, hard road for the game to recover from this year.
    Last year V5 was the most anticipated RPG of the year. And now the game is struggling to get its planned releases out, let alone move forward.
    Flatly, it's not going to recover. The Onyx Path may get a few more supplements out for it, probably via Kickstarter, but don't expect too many records to be broken.
    XP 5ekyu gave XP for this post

Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Quote Originally Posted by TrippyHippy View Post
    Flatly, it's not going to recover. The Onyx Path may get a few more supplements out for it, probably via Kickstarter, but don't expect too many records to be broken.
    It'd be interesting to see if VtM even made it onto the ICv2 charts for this past summer. But apparently that site has decided that info is subscription-only this year.
    Read my webcomic & blog at:
    http://www.5mwd.com
    XP TrippyHippy gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jester David View Post
    It'd be interesting to see if VtM even made it onto the ICv2 charts for this past summer. But apparently that site has decided that info is subscription-only this year.
    My gut feeling, for all the talk of opprobrium, was that the bottom line for White Wolf was it just didn't sell enough to meet it's targets. I think the core buy in price may have been too high.
    Last edited by TrippyHippy; Thursday, 20th December, 2018 at 09:27 AM.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

White Wolf's Facebook page has not posted anything since mid-November when all the apologizing and stuff happened.

White Wolf's Twitter has stayed active, though.

Storyteller's Vault is still going strong too.

In fact, just a day or two ago on Reddit, the folks in charge of the Vault held an AMA and one of the questions asked was when V5 would get added. The official answer was just sometime late in 2019, after more books have been released, but they are expecting it to happen.

Interesting side note from the AMA, they are using the beta-test experiment with DMsGuild for PoD to see if it will also work with the Vault.

Quick Reply Quick Reply