Aquaman (Spoilers!)

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Saw Aquaman today and my expectation were low based on the Empire review (https://www.empireonline.com/movies/aquaman/review/). Generally I tend to agree with Empire but, while the film wasn’t perfect, it was a fun ride. My biggest worry going in was the criticism about the plot but I didn’t find it overly complicated at all.

I don’t think Aquaman was ever in any real jeopardy (possibly my biggest criticism) but it was a refreshing change that neither Black Manta or Ocean Master died.

Perhaps this film, with Shazam and the next Wonder Woman film might mean DC has finally found its feet?

ccs

41st lv DM
Aquaman is a really good comic book movie. Good action movie as well.
But DC will have found its feet when they get Batman, Superman, & Green Lantern right though.

I think the best part is that it simply embraced being a comic book movie.
1) The characters acted & looked* like you expect from the books.
*Except for Arthur himself, but you'll like Jason Momoa in the role enough to overlook that. And then he dons the green & gold for the 3rd act & everything's fine.
2) They didn't kill the bad guys this time. Finally!
3) The setting is pure comic book.

As for Aquaman not ever being in any real jeopardy? Of course he wasn't. Everyone knows he's going to win by the end of the movie. You know this before you get your ticket.... But then aside from in IW & End Game no Marvel characters ever been in jeopardy either. (the only jeopardy ever faced was by the Hulk: Would he make enough $ to justify a sequel?)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Aqua man is awesome, it has great visuals, great fx, great action and a fun plot.
I wasn’t expecting great acting and wasn’t disappointed on that.

It’s interesting that both Aquaman and WW are on the mythic end of DC, I think that helps, so let’s see if Shazam makes a trifecta. (I’m also hoping they adapt Triton Saga for the sequel and bring in a WW team-up vs The Olympians)

Supes and Bats have a lot of catching up to do

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Aqua man is awesome, it has great visuals, great fx, great action and a fun plot.
I wasn’t expecting great acting and wasn’t disappointed on that.

It’s interesting that both Aquaman and WW are on the mythic end of DC, I think that helps, so let’s see if Shazam makes a trifecta. (I’m also hoping they adapt Triton Saga for the sequel and bring in a WW team-up vs The Olympians)

Supes and Bats have a lot of catching up to do

I really think that Clark and Bruce can take a back seat for a while, and let us see a Connor Superboy movie, and a Nightwing movie, and maybe even a movie introducing Tim Drake’s Robin, which would obviously heavily feature Bruce, but doesn’t need to be about him.

However, I wish they were keeping Cavill as Superman. When they let him be light and happy, he is Clark. And they can’t really bring in Tyler Hoechlin Superman, since he is the CW Superman right now.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Titans on DC streaming have done a reasonable job of both Nightwing and Jason Todd, and being DCs own I’m wondering if they’ll be willing to share Nightwing with the movies

But yes I’d be happy for BS to be put aside for awhile - go Mythic DC

Ryujin

Legend
Despite being a Momoa fan (or perhaps because of it) I didn't really enjoy the movie. Action is fine, but I like to be able to follow what's going on. The age reduction was so 'uncanny valley' that it pulled me right out of it. The way that the story played out just didn't pull me in. Whinnying seahorses and an octopus drummer? Pity, I had hopes for this one.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Despite being a Momoa fan (or perhaps because of it) I didn't really enjoy the movie. Action is fine, but I like to be able to follow what's going on. The age reduction was so 'uncanny valley' that it pulled me right out of it. The way that the story played out just didn't pull me in. Whinnying seahorses and an octopus drummer? Pity, I had hopes for this one.

I don’t recall if the cartoon had whinnying seahorses, but the comic book did at least once depict Aquaman’s pet octopus Topo playing several instruments at once.
Topo-Octopus-DC-Comics-Aquaman-a.jpg

Those days, a surprisingly large number of DC Heroes had pets with unusual capabilities. Remember Superman’s menagerie? Besides Krypto, there was Streaky the cat, Beppo the monkey and a horse named Comet.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I don’t recall if the cartoon had whinnying seahorses, but the comic book did at least once depict Aquaman’s pet octopus Topo playing several instruments at once.

Those days, a surprisingly large number of DC Heroes had pets with unusual capabilities. Remember Superman’s menagerie? Besides Krypto, there was Streaky the cat, Beppo the monkey and a horse named Comet.

Yes, I did recall that, and in at least one interview the scene was referred to as a homage to Topo. Is that really what you want to do when you're trying to elevate the butt of jokes in the DC universe to his later badass status? Why didn't they put Krypto, Beppo, and Comet in the Superman movies?

Remove ads