Microscope and Beyond

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
So I heard about Microscope and how some have used it to build worlds for their more traditional RPG games, so I picked it up to check it out. Seems really interesting. I was wondering if anyone here had done that, how it worked, and if anyone would be interested in giving it a try.

The idea would be we would play Microscope and then play a campaign in the world/history we create. System would likely be based on what fit the history we built together. Maybe give WOIN a try again, or SWADE, since it has just come out. Or 5e if it's a fantasy world. Traveller could do a sci-fi history. I'm open to trying different things, and I don't have to be the GM either (Microscope doesn't have a GM, though obviously the campaign would have to).

Thoughts? How stupid am I? Interest?

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
What is Microscope in this context?

...nevermind, looked it up. Seems interesting, though I'm still unclear on how it works precisely. Might have to drop 10 bucks on the PDF if we go forward with this. :)

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
What is Microscope in this context?

...nevermind, looked it up. Seems interesting, though I'm still unclear on how it works precisely. Might have to drop 10 bucks on the PDF if we go forward with this. :)

It's a storytelling game (no dice, no GM) in which you make a history. The basic elements are nested PERIOD-EVENT-SCENE. It is meant to be non-collaborative, meaning when it's your turn, you can't get help or ideas from any other players. This way everyone builds on and expands on everyone else's unique contributions.

PERIODS are long stretches of time, like THE AGE OF DISCOVERY. This is a birds eye view.
EVENTS are the things that happened during that period, say DISCOVERY OF THE NEW WORLD. This is sort of an on the ground, outsider's view.
SCENES are where we role play out specific situations in an event, from within a character, and try to answer a question. HOW DID THE NATIVES RECEIVE THE STRANGE NEW ARRIVALS? for example. This is more insider views.

Once we'd played for a while, we would have a nice history to use as a start for a campaign.

5atbu

Explorer
I did exactly this for my last Savage Worlds SF campaign.

Worked extremely well.

However I can't join you for this one.

Good luck.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
We just have [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6855545]Archon Basileus[/MENTION]

Ideally I would like two more, so we would have a full party when we started playing the actual RPG game. Microscope works best with 3-5 players (I would be a player in that).

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm interested. Would we have to buy something? I'm not familiar with Microscope or how it works. I've created many worlds, though, and I enjoy collaborations where you just go with whatever everyone else says - "yes... and" appeals to me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases