Zeep's Ultimate Fighter/Wizard

Zeep

First Post
Here we have the ultimate combination, the utility of the Wizard and the strength of the Fighter! Includes talking about class features and rating archetypes and all the features involved, spell ratings from someone who casts a lot of spells and looked at all of them and talking about differences from my guideline and how to make something that YOU want.

Alright here it is.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rEYpuEzwGha4wNw7GSp93jq-IQ-SN_EiE1kn-A6VfYU

For as long as I've looked I've never seen a good Fighter/Wizard build with spell suggestion and opinions that I agree with. Eldritch Knight guides are fine but aren't what I looked for.

If you want me to go in depth about something or want more details explained like skills or more archetypes or even classes. I take criticism where criticism is granted and apply it to the document.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm surprised no Abjuration wizard. Arcane Ward helps with you relative frailness, and is recharged both during combat but also can be fully recharged with rituals while others are taking a short rest. And Improved Abjuration for better counterspells is a wonderful addition later.

Zeep

First Post
The reason why I didn't include Abjuration Wizard is because the Archetype is very strong when you're going full or higher level Wizard, with this guide I try to make a Fighter with Wizard capabilities so we get a character with higher Fighter levels than Wizard levels.

Although what you suggest is a Wizard with Fighter capabilities. I will include in the guide and explain why it isn't that optimal in this build, but it is an excellent choice if you want more levels in Wizard then in Fighter. Thank you for the response.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
[MENTION=6981441]Zeep[/MENTION]

The biggest question I see unanswered in your guide is how your fighter wizard uses somatic components while holding a sword and shield or dual wielding.

Zeep

First Post
@Zeep

The biggest question I see unanswered in your guide is how your fighter wizard uses somatic components while holding a sword and shield or dual wielding.

I completely missed how sword and shield / Dual Wielding would be done here as a fighter wizard, I'll update it in the spellcasting section but I will mention it here as well.

First the most obvious answer, take Warcaster and a component pouch. You can access the component pouch with your free hand but will be difficult as you need a free hand to do so, What I would advice is that you don't have weapons drawn (for dual wielding just hold your primary weapon you use.) and when combat starts you cast one of the spells that require Material. Then if you are certain you won't use your material spells anymore you draw your (other) weapon with the free use object and continue forward. You can also do this with the somatic components but because you have access to shield or absorb elements I advise against that.

I Hope this answers your question.

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
A great solution for casting with a weapon in your hand is the Ruby of the War Mage from Volo's Guide. It's a common magic item which you can affix to your melee weapon, and which allow you to use the weapon as a spellcasting focus. Talk to your DM about performing a minor quest to procure one.

Zeep

First Post
A great solution for casting with a weapon in your hand is the Ruby of the War Mage from Volo's Guide. It's a common magic item which you can affix to your melee weapon, and which allow you to use the weapon as a spellcasting focus. Talk to your DM about performing a minor quest to procure one.

Great solution if you have spells with S and M. Problem is that if you have sword and shield you still can't cast S spells that don't need material. So you need to get warcaster or use my method that is described in my guide to do that.

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
Great solution if you have spells with S and M. Problem is that if you have sword and shield you still can't cast S spells that don't need material. So you need to get warcaster or use my method that is described in my guide to do that.

As you yourself state, the Warcaster feat alone does not let you cast spells that require a material component while you are dual-wielding or carrying a weapon and a shield. You still need a free hand to handle your spellcasting focus or component pouch. Setting aside the object interaction shenanigans you mention, the combination of Warcaster and a Ruby of the War Mage is really the only way to freely cast spells that require S and/or M components for this build.

EDIT: Upon re-reading your post, I think we may both be saying the same thing(?)

Last edited:

Zeep

First Post
Upon re-reading your post, I think we may both be saying the same thing(?)

The Ruby and warcaster combination is needed to do this without Object interaction yes, I didn't mention this as every DM is different and I like to put as many variables away for this guide. Using the official ruleset of D&D for object interaction was the only way to do this within the rules of the PHB.

I'm going to mention it here out of my guide, if you want to cast V, S and M spells with warcaster *or without for twohanded/other solutions. Go with Nexalis his idea of asking your DM for the Ruby of the Warmage some time in the Campaign, otherwise you still have the component pouch and the object interactions.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The Ruby and warcaster combination is needed to do this without Object interaction yes, I didn't mention this as every DM is different and I like to put as many variables away for this guide. Using the official ruleset of D&D for object interaction was the only way to do this within the rules of the PHB.

I'm going to mention it here out of my guide, if you want to cast V, S and M spells with warcaster *or without for twohanded/other solutions. Go with Nexalis his idea of asking your DM for the Ruby of the Warmage some time in the Campaign, otherwise you still have the component pouch and the object interactions.

And most DM's find those rules just as irritating as players do and thus simply ignore them ;)

Remove ads