Anybody tried Black Mirror: Bandersnatch? (Spoilers)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I’m really not quite sure what to make of it.

It’s a new feature length Black Mirror episode on Netflix, with a Choose Your Own Adventure format. It’s pretty dark.

Spoilers ahead....

It’s clever in the way it’s layered. Essentially you’re playing a game in which the protagonist becomes aware of *you*, and that you are controlling him. It’s very meta.

I think I got all of the endings. There are five, apparently.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
I loved it! I specially liked how seemless it felt. I tried the minecraft adventUre also on netflix and after each choice there was a loading. I hated that. Also the choices felt real unlike the minecraft episode.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I wasn't aware of the interactivity of it until a review on the radio today. I normally watch on my tablet. When it comes up on my Netflix app it's only 2 minutes. I thought it was a preview of the upcoming season. After the review and your post I clicked on it. The 2minutes are spent telling me it doesn't work on certain devices but I can enjoy other Black Mirror episodes. I'll have to wait and watch it on a TV.

Is it good enough to rewatch some parts to get different endings? The reviewer had mixed feelings but in the end thought it repetitive and boring. Unlike a choose your own adventure you're not able to skip parts.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is it good enough to rewatch some parts to get different endings? The reviewer had mixed feelings but in the end thought it repetitive and boring. Unlike a choose your own adventure you're not able to skip parts.

I liked it the first couple of loops, but after that the repetition started to drag a bit.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Haven't tried it, but thanks for bringing it to my attention!

I'm going to love it if it's anywhere as much fun as D&D Scourge of Worlds was.

I've gotten one ending so far, and I'm trying to decide whether to look at a guide or go through it myself.

I like that the company is called Tuckersoft, but it's owned by a guy named Thakir, pronounced very similarly.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I liked it the first couple of loops, but after that the repetition started to drag a bit.

Most of the loops were minor, though some of them looped a few too many times. There was one decision point near the end, after you got the toy back, where you could choose to go with the mother or not. I chose no and it looped me quite a ways back and at that point I was like, "Really?!" Other than that one loop, I enjoyed the show. I don't do repetition well, though, so I'm not going to go through the show any further for different endings.

After finding a full flowchart, and then playing through it a second time, the truth is, just play it once, and if you're curious, read an outline. One playthrough gets you all the fun weird stuff.

I dug it well enough, but it's got loose threads and elements that, well, don't matter.

Reminds me of The Stanley Parable, but less well put-together.

Last edited:

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I liked the one ending where the daughter tried to finish the game. Does choosing the other cereal lead down a different path? I wondered if the first two choices were to get you used to the experience and didn't have much impact on the outcomes.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I enjoyed it when you had to explain to him you were watching him on Netflix in the early 21st century, and try to explain what Netflix is and that you controlled all his decisions. After that he becomes resigned to it, and actually asks you what he should do.

Remove ads