D&D 5E Does Rope Trick Heal?

Does Rope Trick Heal?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 90.0%

It’s a utility spell.
It can be used as a way to get healing, but it is not a healing spell. It does not restore hit points. And it serves other purposes, such as allowing stealth and spying. Or defence by withdrawing from combat to avoid death.
There’s any number of other spells that can be used to make a safe space to rest and recover. Wall of stone or stone shape for example. Heck, even invisibility could be used for that.
That doesn’t make them “healing spells”.

To be counted as a healing spell, I would say the spell needs to actually restore hit points.

Honestly, I think the line is pretty simple to draw:

The cleric feature Disipline of Life says:
Also starting at 1st level, your healing spells are more effective. Whenever you use a spell of 1st level or higher to restore hit points to a creature, the creature regains additional hit points equal to 2 + the spell's level.

If you would allow a cleric casting that spell to benefit from that feature, it is a healing spell. If you would not, it’s not a healing spell, just a spell that enables healing.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Movement and movement speed are interchangeable terms.

This is silly. If your PC is caught in a trap which damages you if you move, and you decide to not move, and your DM says you take damage because you have a movement speed, I strongly suspect you will suddenly and miraculously comprehend the difference between the terms movement speed and movement. Having a movement speed is not the same as moving and the terms are not interchangeable. If I increase your movement speed, you have not received movement. IF you decide to move, your movement speed while moving will be increased. They are different things.

Nevertheless, if you call longstrider a movement spell, I think you'll be correct. It doesn't make you move, but if you decide to do something else directly related to the purpose of the spell (move) it will aid in that. Much like rope trick is a healing spell. It doesn't make you heal, but if you decide to do something directly related to the purpose of the spell (rest for an hour to heal) it will aid in that.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
This is silly. If your PC is caught in a trap which damages you if you move, and you decide to not move, and your DM says you take damage because you have a movement speed, I strongly suspect you will suddenly and miraculously comprehend the difference between the terms movement speed and movement. Having a movement speed is not the same as moving and the terms are not interchangeable. If I increase your movement speed, you have not received movement. IF you decide to move, your movement speed while moving will be increased. They are different things.

Nevertheless, if you call longstrider a movement spell, I think you'll be correct. It doesn't make you move, but if you decide to do something else directly related to the purpose of the spell (move) it will aid in that. Much like rope trick is a healing spell. It doesn't make you heal, but if you decide to do something directly related to the purpose of the spell (rest for an hour to heal) it will aid in that.

And in that situation they are not interchangeable terms

It’s a utility spell.
It can be used as a way to get healing, but it is not a healing spell. It does not restore hit points. And it serves other purposes, such as allowing stealth and spying. Or defence by withdrawing from combat to avoid death.
I always interpreted that the main effect of Rope Trick was to make a rope suspend itself without an anchor. Imagine how many video games would be trivialized, by the ability to set a climbable rope anywhere you wanted.

Yes. TreantMonk has been on about this topic for years and I very much suspect Mike Mearls views the spell from this perspective too. The question is what purpose does this spell serve in the rules, rather than how do characters in the game view it.

The purpose of the spell is to provide a 'safe' short rest in an environment like a Dungeon.

Its the Short rest version of Leomunds Tiny Hut (the 'Long rest safely' spell).

Remove ads