D&D 5E Does Rope Trick Heal?

Does Rope Trick Heal?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 90.0%

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
^ That's a better statement. You can't get a full hour out of a rope trick spell if you parse getting into and out of the thing in seconds.

But in actual play, such a ruling may result in players rolling their eyes so hard that one or more of them might have an aneurysm.

That just means you haven’t used technicalities to crush their dreams enough in the past. Eventually they will learn to admire your harshness and be unable to play with anyone less harsh ;)

Because it's a natural conclusion to draw, and calling out game mechanics unnecessarily breaks immersion.
Calling out game mechanics... inside game mechanics... breaks immersion?

Then you would say that catnap from Xanathar's Guide to Everything unnecessarily breaks immersion? That rope trick couldn't have done the same thing?

Except nothing says that's the exact duration. Note that no spell has "X of this unit and Y of that" durations.
It doesn't take much to add one. Or they could have made it two hours. Ninety minutes.

Having it be exactly an hour (and thus people spend <1 hour in the rope trick) while a short rest is => an hour leads to a small bit of confusion. If the intent was to have the rope trick serve as a safe place for a short rest, it fails and is an example of bad design.

Because even IF the entire party is adjacent to the wizard when they cast the spell, the rope trick lasts 1 hour ended after the wizard's 100th. To get into the rope trick, assuming the PCs can get in on a single turn still, means they're climbing after the wizard and beginning the short rest the turn after the wizard cast the spell. So when the spell ends, everyone still has 1 turn left before their short rest is complete and has not exited the rope trick, which ends, ejecting them in mid-air and potentially causing falling damage.
That's terrible, terrible design. And I choose to believe the designers didn't plan that or make such an error.

There is no requirement for a skill check, that is something you're adding.
There's also nothing in the text that says the rope is effortless to climb, that is something you're adding.

Could you climb a rope in gym class without effort? Because that's what that is: climbing a freestanding rope up to 60 feet high.
The rope in gym class is a textbook challenge and not an easy task. It should require a check.

That is also something you are adding.
Are there even rules for knotting a rope in 5e? Is that even mentioned in the PHB?

An assumption you make.
But a safe one. The game cannot assume there will be a wall.

A check they shouldn't be making.
Says you.
The average person is Strength 10. How many people can do one chin up? Let alone pull themselves up a rope.
Can the Str 8 wizard do it?
On the clock and while under pressure?

3e says it would be a DC 20 Climb check. It would be fair to drop it down to DC 15 Strength (Athletics) or even DC 10. But that still means a wizard might fail 50% of the time.

Occam's Razor, the spell works exactly like you'd expect when people stop adding stuff that isn't there.
Except this whole discussion is literally about adding something that isn't there: short rests and the assumption the spell is intended solely to be used for that purpose. Despite the fact the spell was in existence for 35 years before short rests were a thing and it functions largely identically to how it did in those editions.

^ That's a better statement. You can't get a full hour out of a rope trick spell if you parse getting into and out of the thing in seconds.

But in actual play, such a ruling may result in players rolling their eyes so hard that one or more of them might have an aneurysm.
That's DMing 101. The players make an assumption and the DM uses that to smack them down.

When the players get cocky about being able to rest in the dungeon is the perfect time to have the rope trick expire 6 seconds before their rest ends, dump them 40 feet onto the ground, and having them surrounded by enemies who saw them vanish and had been readying an ambush for when they returned.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
That's DMing 101. The players make an assumption and the DM uses that to smack them down.

When the players get cocky about being able to rest in the dungeon is the perfect time to have the rope trick expire 6 seconds before their rest ends, dump them 40 feet onto the ground, and having them surrounded by enemies who saw them vanish and had been readying an ambush for when they returned.
Dude, Poe's Law.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

We must have had different professors for that class.

Dude, Poe's Law.

Oh, that was a sincere expression. I would absolutely do that to my players to knock them down a peg. If they get cocky about their ability to bypass the dungeon, that's when I get super anal about the exact text of the rules.
You tempt fate, you get what you deserve.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Oh, that was a sincere expression. I would absolutely do that to my players to knock them down a peg. If they get cocky about their ability to bypass the dungeon, that's when I get super anal about the exact text of the rules.
You tempt fate, you get what you deserve.

Man, how do you have more XP than me on this forum?

We must have had different professors for that class.
I can be super nice and kind to my players. When they're being inventive and creative, I will almost always say "yes". If they're being imaginative I will support and encourage them. And if they're new to the game I will challenge but be fair and generally lenient.

But if they push me, they will find I am a cruel and vengeful god.
Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I can be super nice and kind to my players. When they're being inventive and creative, I will almost always say "yes". If they're being imaginative I will support and encourage them. And if they're new to the game I will challenge but be fair and generally lenient.

But if they push me, they will find I am a cruel and vengeful god.
Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth.

I fail to see how spending a limited resource to create a safe place to short rest is pushing anybody. Why should the DM give a dusty flumph about this at all? It sounds to me like they fairly prepared and executed well and deserve the benefits.

jasper

Rotten DM
Yes I am one the proud 9. It heals. To explain more.
Spell duration last 1 hour. A short rest is at least an hour. I not going mess over my players because of one more minor editing mistake in the PHB.
This is "THOR vs 1E monk made his death save bs". Back in 1983? I played a 20 minute game with one my buddies. New to us players and dm. Since kung fu was SUPER COOL back then, the way they chopped up monk and falling damage was interesting. They took the sentence" Monk save versus Death magic for damage on successful save" to mean Thor could smack them in the face on a nat 20 with a certain hammer. On a success, monk took no damage. The paragraph was talking about if a monk fell within a certain number of feet from a wall, he could roll on the death magic chart. On a successful save the monk took no damage.
After we heard this bs, me and Robert suddenly remembered we missed chow and the mess hall was closing soon.

Remove ads