D&D 5E Skeleton Berserker barbarian without exhaustion

Particle_Man

Explorer
This race is not official as a pc yet but you can get npc stats for the skeleton from the dmg so technically this is core.

Perhaps due to memories of the Lost Worlds fighting game book “Skeleton with Scimitar and Shield” I have an urge to try one out. They have some downsides (low int is not so bad but low chr hurts one of the berserker abilities, vulnerable to bludgeoning attacks is a killer, harder to heal, harder to communicate beyond nodding, shaking one’s head and pointing) but a few upsides too - poison is not a problem, one will not starve or drown, one can take watch all night and, oh yeah, since one is immune to all sources of exhaustion one can frenzy every time one rages, removing a major drawback to the berserker barbarian.

I would probably go for the cliche and be the one good skeleton but with the hermit background that could work - perhaps the original occupant of the body (an old man near death) discovered a secret magical spring that combined with a secret process could create free willed non-evil skeletons (they channel their hatred for all life into frenzy instead) and tested the process on himself, leaving notes for his “son” and instructions to find someone to continue the research and perhaps discover what else the spring could do.

I suppose the original race could be half-elf to squeeze in some extra languages (to comprehend if not speak).

Not sure what else to do with it. Any feats or magic items I should look for? I think a point buy build would start with str 15, dex 14, con 15, int 4, wis 13, chr 4 but that is tentative. But this way I could get to 24 in str and con at lvl 20 if I don’t take feats.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
And the rest of the world will accept you & not treat you like any other skeleton because???

Obviously because you have a pair of glasses on. They'll never know you're actually a skeleton until you take them off.

Note to self: Create a "Glasses of Disguise" magic item.

Particle_Man

Explorer
First I find someone I trust and leave the book my predecessor wrote explaining my status for them to read, then stick with that person and the other pcs. Either that or I join the party with the one good half-orc, the one good drow, the one good tiefling and the one good chromatic Dragonborn.

Remove ads