ZEITGEIST Adventure 5, Part 4 Clarifications (4E) [SPOILERS].

Shimrath

Explorer
Hello!

Gearing up to run The Battle of Bosum Strand, but i've noticed some contradictory information. I would like to get clarification before i run the encounter to be sure it is as challenging as intended.

1. Under the stat-block for the Colossus, it says: "If the colossus takes 4 or more strikes in one round, its speed is reduced by 2." In the text ("Allies and Back-Up") it says: "For each strike that hits, reduce the colossus’s speed by 1."

The stat-block option would seem to make it much harder to slow the Colossus down, while the text version seems like it would make it much easier.

2. Under the stat-block for the Colossus, it says: "The stage the colossus is in has heavy chop (DC 20). Adjacent stages have light chop (DC 15). Ships at Close range encounter severe chop (DC 25)." In the text ("Mission Goals") it says: "its presence creates severe chop in its own stage (DC 25), and heavy chop in adjacent stages (DC 20)."

The higher DCs in the text version will likely make for the appearance of more witchoil horrors/monstrosities, while the easier DCs in the stat-block would mean less of those creatures appear.

3. A question of timing. . .The text ("The Ritual Plan") says: "In order to enact his ritual, the King requires thirty minutes of unimpeded casting time. Later, the text ("Impossible Mission") says: "King Aodhan reminds everyone that he needs five minutes to complete the ritual."

Victory is gained by completion of the ritual, but does the ritual take 30 minutes or 5 minutes? Naval rounds are estimated at between 1 and 5 minutes, so either one of the above could be 5-6 naval rounds. I cannot imagine the intention was to avoid the Colossus for 30 naval rounds!

Which options should i use for a balanced challenge? My instinct tells me to use the deadliest options and the shortest ritual duration. Has anyone run the battle? If so, which options did you use and how did it go? Too easy, too hard?

Thanks,
Shimrath.

Shimrath

Explorer
I am using the hardcover pdf. I will compare it to the stand alone version tonight and see if that gives any additional insight.

Shimrath

Explorer
It appears the ritual was intended to last 30 minutes in the original 4E version of Adventure 5. It also clearly states that a naval round lasts 5 minutes, so the encounter would require surviving 6 naval rounds for ritual completion. So, that answers #3!

The appearance of witchoil creatures was handled completely differently in the original version. 1d3 appear automatically when the Colossus strikes the Coaltongue, and 2 appear on any ship that closes to close range. That sounds like they'll appear fairly often, so i'll go with the higher DCs. That answers #2!

The Colossus has a speed of 10 in the original version, and its speed is not reduced by strikes. It has a speed of 22 in the HC version, halved in the 100 foot deep water. At speed 11, i'm thinking that it would be best to make it difficult to reduce the speed of the Colossus, and so will go with the stat-block. That answers #1!

If anyone ran this encounter and has opinions, i'd still love to hear them!

-Shimrath.

I think my realization was that probably at this point a fight against slime monsters is kinda underwhelming for a climax, so maybe just handwave it. But if you don't handwave it, speed it up, and have one minute naval rounds.

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
I recently ran this encounter (In PF but I don't think it made much difference)
My players have managed to largely avoid all previous naval encounters by cunning tricks so they were not familiar with the rules. I decided that running the encounter in a much more freeform approach rather than a structured naval combat would work best. I Gave the players all the information about the fleet etc and let them make decisions then resolved the outcome of their orders and actions as a freeform. For instance on of the players gathered up a large supply of fireworks and when the Collossus attacked the Coaltongue set them off as a big blast to distract it, I let them roll for the effects of their plans for each round and then improvised the results , if they rolled poorly then an allied ship got sunk spectacularly or they got Witch oil elementals onboard or whatever else seemed dramatically appropriate.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases