Spring's D&D Release Will Be Ship-Themed

So they talked about it a little bit on today's Fireside Chat. They mentioned that the full reveal are coming at a later date, but it will be a ship based product. It's almost done, but cover and title are not yet finalized. Not much else was mentioned except some joke titles! Not too surprising, given the UA, the upcoming seafaring comic book, the ship mini set, etc.
So they talked about it a little bit on today's Fireside Chat. They mentioned that the full reveal are coming at a later date, but it will be a ship based product. It's almost done, but cover and title are not yet finalized.

Not much else was mentioned except some joke titles!

Not too surprising, given the UA, the upcoming seafaring comic book, the ship mini set, etc.

Derren

Hero
This is perhaps an overlooked point. "Ships" doesn't have to mean "Pirates". Their is a whole sub-genre of navel adventure stories set during the age of sail which can serve as inspiration for a more serious* nautical campaign.

*Pirates, although the reality was grim, have long been associated with light-hearted adventure, since long before Jack Sparrow came along. See Treasure Island (1883) and Peter Pan (1904).

And what would that be?
Do you really think that Hornblower like stories would fit into D&D?

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
And what would that be?
Do you really think that Hornblower like stories would fit into D&D?

My friends suggested Hornblower to me, and while I can honestly say the show isn't my cup of tea, aspects of the show - like dealing with crew morale and mutinous crew, ship to ship combat, making landfall and dealing with scenarios on land, ie resupplying and dealing with the effects of the "plague" - would make for compelling aspects of a campaign.

Derren

Hero
My friends suggested Hornblower to me, and while I can honestly say the show isn't my cup of tea, aspects of the show - like dealing with crew morale and mutinous crew, ship to ship combat, making landfall and dealing with scenarios on land, ie resupplying and dealing with the effects of the "plague" - would make for compelling aspects of a campaign.

Both resupplying and dealing with diseases are things usually glossed over in D&D and handled with low level spells. Also, the strict discipline displayed in Hornblower is very atypical to D&D.
Also, read the books. Much more detailed than the show.

Both resupplying and dealing with diseases are things usually glossed over in D&D and handled with low level spells. Also, the strict discipline displayed in Hornblower is very atypical to D&D.
Also, read the books. Much more detailed than the show.

Definitely read the books. The TV version was awful. Star Trek OS was closer*. Also read the Aubrey novels (Patrick O'Brian).

And the usual strategy for players who might not be keen on military discipline is to make the captain an NPC, who is either a martinet, a traitor, or much loved but short-lived. (Also see Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek (Abrams movie)).

* Given that Star Trek was Hornblower in space, you won't go far wrong if you treat your navel adventure as Star Trek on the Sea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staffan

Legend
I'm all for a better focused rules supplement.

I realized a few days ago I rated two D&D supplements lower because they seemed like a grab bag of ideas.

Give me a book with a tight focus.
I can't really agree with this, particularly in light of the publishing strategy we've seen so far from Wizards.

Let's say, for the sake of the argument, that a rules-focused book will have 30 different things in it. I'd much rather have those 30 things be good things that can be whatever, than only have 5 good things about a particular topic and the other 25 being filler because they didn't have 30 good ideas to develop about that particular topic, and then have to buy five more books to get the other 25 good ideas they have.

I mean, compare Xanathar's Guide to Everything to the Complete books for 3.5e. The signal-to-noise ratio of the former is far higher than the latter.

I don't play 5th edition, but that is mainly because 3rd edition has such awesome books such as Stormwrack, Sandstorm and Frostburn. It's these sorts of books that provide a wealth of ideas for using a unique climate in your campaign. So, color me delightfully surprised that they are doing this. Lets hope even more is on the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

OB1

Jedi Master
It's weird that Critical Role is basically doing a ship campaign right now and a ship book is coming out.

Why is it weird? Mercer regularly works with a variety of WoTC initiatives and likely has inside knowledge on the product line.

gyor

Legend
Hmm...

I'd rather have Sea of Fallen Stars, but I can understand your wish to remove Jarlaxle from a Luskan plotline. In fact, Jarlaxle's presence is precisely why I want Sea of Fallen Stars.

I want the Sea of Fallen Stars because it's the most interesting area of the Faerun. Mulhorand, Unther. Tymanther, Turmish, Nathlan, Cormyr, Sembia, Chessenta, Raven's Bluff, Thay, Aglarond, Rasheman, the Blade Kingdoms (an obscure reference), Myth Nentar, the Saughuin Kingdom of Axis, various islands, and more.

Remove ads

Remove ads