Critical Hit Decks/Charts - I don't like 'em

Retreater

Legend
This is a little bit of a rant about why I don't like Critical Hit/Fumble Decks, charts, etc. It's mostly based off my experiences in d20 games, but I think the sentiment would carry over to any tabletop game.

I think the "special critical hit rule" is one of the worst house rule or optional rule. It's inclusion is a near deal-breaker if I'm joining a game.

Specifically, I nearly de-railed a Pathfinder campaign when I introduced them as a GM. It's been about a decade since then, but seeing the Starfinder Critical desk's release just brings up bad memories.

1) It slows down the game. You have to stop the play and open up a special chart or get out a deck, roll on a table, adjudicate additional effects, and then keep up with lasting injuries.
2) It unfairly punishes characters. Sure, characters get to enjoy a little extra boost in power, but why does it matter if your party's barbarian hacks off the arm of a goblin that's going to die in a turn anyway? But the goblin slicing off the barbarian's arm, and he's hampered for the rest of the campaign? Also, in a given adventure day, the characters are probably going to be the targets of more attack rolls than your monsters (given that your monsters will be dead after a few actions).

I know some will argue, it's only an occasional thing to use a Critical Hit or Fumble. On a d20, you're going to get a Natural 20 or Natural 1 10% of the time. It will happen a lot more than you expect. This means that your characters will be subject to slicing off their own hands on a critical fumble or being decapitated by a lucky kobold.

What do others think? Do you use these optional rules?

Not much that I can add, but I agree. Extreme critical hit/fumble charts turn the game into a farce when used in a d20 system, and dramatically swing the game against the players whenever they appear.

I was also in a Pathfinder game that was nearly de-railed when the GM introduced the charts - the official deck isn't as bad, because the effects are much less significant - but we adapted by making characters who didn't use attack rolls. We still ended up losing three characters to random decapitations, though.

dagger

Adventurer
We use the Critical Hit deck (from Nord Games) and it does not slow down the game. The deck is ready to go, just pull a card and go. It adds some variety for us and increases the danger/chaos to levels we like.

Getting a limb cut off our losing an eye is part of the fun. One of the players right now is running a dragonborn with only one eye, and he is going to just keep it as part of his character the rest of the way.

We don't use the critical fumble deck though.

Topramesk

Explorer
They were and are a lot of fun in Rollmaster though. So much fun.

You know what, as much as I love them in Rolemaster and similar games, I must admit that I prefer my d&d games without them.
Probably a matter of design and expectations, RM is built around the critical tables, and you know that when you are getting into a fight you risk losing a hand or worse. With d&d is diferent. Sure your character could be burned to death by a fireball or a dragon's breath, or killed by a finger of death, but having one of her limbs cut off? That's not really what I expect.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
We use the Critical Hit deck (from Nord Games) and it does not slow down the game. The deck is ready to go, just pull a card and go. It adds some variety for us and increases the danger/chaos to levels we like.

Getting a limb cut off our losing an eye is part of the fun. One of the players right now is running a dragonborn with only one eye, and he is going to just keep it as part of his character the rest of the way.

We don't use the critical fumble deck though.

Same here. I don't use critical fumbles because it punishes characters as they rise in level. Your high-level fighter with multiple attacks is not more likely to fumble than when first level.

The Nord Games crit hit deck has four levels of deadliness so you can remove cripplingly effects if you don't want to play a one-eyed, one-legged barbarian but still want a bit of flavor and variety with your crit hits.

Remove ads