Upcoming products will "touch on cultures that don't usually get exposure."

JPL

Adventurer
WotC's Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart talked on the Spoilers & Swag streamed chat. They mentioned that in 2020, there will be a couple of products that will touch on cultures that don't usually get exposure in D&D.

Just going on record that a psionics book in a Realms-based analogue of Tibet / Nepal / India would get the job done real nicely.

Runner up would be Dungeons & Tikis. Polynesia. Moana meets Mordenkainen.

I

Immortal Sun

Sounds cool. There's a lot of interesting mythology outside the usual stuff that I'd like to see make it into D&D.

Quickleaf

Legend
Like this? :)

GR%2BD20%2BMindshadows.JPG

JPL

Adventurer
Maybe like Mindshadows, yes.

I think that later in the podcast, it's suggested that they are consulting with some real-world cultural experts on the new products, and acknowledge they should've done so for the recent return for Chult. So I think this is real-world stuff, and something where they are concerned about lazy stereotyping or a superficial treatment of the culture.

As I recently pointed out on another thread --- there are whole continents of the Forgotten Realms that are little more than rumor, so plenty of room for this stuff, and the new book about ships implies the need for some new places to travel.

That said . . . I'd love to see Lantan explored (along with the artificer class), but maybe that sort of magi-tech thing is destined for an Eberron book(although maybe the psionics will be reserved for a Dark Sun book).

Kara-Tur or Maztica actually might be good ideas, insofar as it's been decades since they were given any serious attention, and as there's a lot of untapped potential.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
As I recently pointed out on another thread --- there are whole continents of the Forgotten Realms that are little more than rumor, so plenty of room for this stuff, and the new book about ships implies the need for some new places to travel.

Makes sense to me.

Volo's can be thought of as a kinda-sorta companion piece to Storm King's Thunder.
Mordenkainen's is similar, at least with regards to Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

I expect the ship-themed product will be followed by an adventure path where seafaring plays a major role.

As an aficionado of tiki drinks, I would heartily approve!

If this is paired or a part of the ships-related release, I think Maztica seems increasingly likely. And really, considering the colonialism of its original introduction, a re-do wouldn't be a bad idea.

Runner up would be Dungeons & Tikis. Polynesia. Moana meets Mordenkainen.

Remove ads