All the Star Trek, Always, Forever- Interested?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The Wrath of KHAAAAAAAN, The Search for Spock and the Voyage Home are the Star Trek Trilogy for me and really the only Star Trek movies I've enjoyed (I still like the original Star Trek:Vger for nostalgia and bad movie fun though)

I may be a heretic but I only like the original crew plus Picard from TNG, I've not really bothered with the later series as they all bored me. The reboot movies (in particular that Cumberbatch one) have been abominations

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Wrath of KHAAAAAAAN, The Search for Spock and the Voyage Home are the Star Trek Trilogy for me

Yeah. It's a wonderful trilogy, with real character arcs which span it. It's the equivalent of Star Wars IV-VI for me, and the best Trek has ever been.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
It's not that bad via Prime. No lag. I think the ads if any are at the beginning, and mainly for other CBS programs, just like Prime. Watching other CBS broadcast shows could be an issue. Like God Friended Me, the most recent episodes may not be available for several days. You can pay per episode and watch right away. Discovery and other online only content is not like that. There is another scifi show called Strange Angel. It's a period piece set in the 1940s or 50s. Also the Short Treks mentioned in the article are available.

I don't want to sidetrek again, but I noticed that while Amazon Prime Video is available on Comcast, they charge to watch Discovery. If you watch it using the Amazon Fire TV Stick, CBS is free. Just trying to be helpful.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
"What does God need with a starship?!?"

And, let us face it, "Star Trek: The MOtion Picture" was not an example of a thing... that actually had a plot.

Wrath of Khan and the Voyage Home, however, were probably the best movies, for me.

I kind of like them all, but the Dominion War had some great stuff in it. And the last season of Enterprise, when they handed things over to Manny Coto... that was what the entire series should have been, and it was good stuff.

I have been considering doing a rewatch of Voyager....

I would say the first season, minus the time police episodes (there weren’t that many), was just as good, but yeah.

Voyager has some of my favorite characters, but it was just...idk what was missing but something was. I’ll never not love the characters, though.

I’m a heathen. I don’t love WoK.

MarkB

Legend
Voyager had some amazing characters. I happen to like Janeway. But even if she isn't your, umm, cup of tea ...

Tuvok. The Doctor (!!!). Seven. Torres. Paris.

Even characters that were disserved (Chakotay, Kim) were good. Kes and Neelix? Okay, no cast is perfect.

The problem with Voyager is ... well -

it was a really squandered premise. You basically had two interesting ideas that should have been the backbone of the show:

A. Integrating the Maquis and Federation crews that don't trust, or like, each other; and
B. A ship far away from the Federation and reinforcements.

The trouble is that neither plot ever really mattered. It quickly became a "problem of the week" which is fine, but why bother shooting them out into another quadrant? And then, occasionally, there would be some sort of lip service about getting home, or resources, are "Oh, should we trust Paris?" only to be forgotten.

Once the show settled into a groove (getting rid of Kes, adding Seven, acknowledging what it was) it got much better. But still never great.

The first season or two of Voyager always felt to me very like the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon series. The plucky kids would follow the plotline of the week, find a potential way home, run into some complications, and wind up having to abandon their chance, usually for moralistic reasons.

I pretty much gave up on the series shortly thereafter. I thought the Doctor and Seven of Nine were excellent characters, but none of the others ever stood out for me in the slightest, except Neelix, who stood out for all the wrong reasons.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Voyager had some amazing characters. I happen to like Janeway. But even if she isn't your, umm, cup of tea ...

Tuvok. The Doctor (!!!). Seven. Torres. Paris.

Even characters that were disserved (Chakotay, Kim) were good. Kes and Neelix? Okay, no cast is perfect.

The problem with Voyager is ... well -

it was a really squandered premise. You basically had two interesting ideas that should have been the backbone of the show:

A. Integrating the Maquis and Federation crews that don't trust, or like, each other; and
B. A ship far away from the Federation and reinforcements.

The trouble is that neither plot ever really mattered. It quickly became a "problem of the week" which is fine, but why bother shooting them out into another quadrant? And then, occasionally, there would be some sort of lip service about getting home, or resources, are "Oh, should we trust Paris?" only to be forgotten.

Once the show settled into a groove (getting rid of Kes, adding Seven, acknowledging what it was) it got much better. But still never great.

lol I liked Kes, tbh. Neelix can be a bit much, but I was fine with it. I agree on the rest, though.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't want to sidetrek again, but I noticed that while Amazon Prime Video is available on Comcast, they charge to watch Discovery. If you watch it using the Amazon Fire TV Stick, CBS is free. Just trying to be helpful.

Yeah, I just discovered that - while I ran into some documentation that said it was free on Prime if you were willing to watch commercials, perhaps that was old. Now, I must pay.

*sad trombone*

GreyLord

Legend
DS9 rates lower than Voyager for me...why?

For me the first two seasons of DS9 were boring...as in REALLY REALLY boring. Season three wasn't as boring, but wasn't all that great either. It wasn't until the Klingon War arc and Worf came along that things started to pick up...and it wasn't until partway through Season 5 that I became enthusiastically involved enough to want to watch it regularly.

If it all could have been like Season 6 and Season 7 I would say DS9 would be, hands down, my favorite Star Trek. The first part of it was sooooo boring though...that kills it.

Voyager had a stellar first episode...and than Season 1 was ALSO pretty boring. However it starts to pick up sooner than DS9. It never hits the high points of DS9, but it stayed entertaining for more seasons of DS9 for me. It was similar to the earlier treks of problem of the week and a reset, but with a little continuity in there. IT took a BIG step up in season 4 after they took on 7of9. It was not due to her, really, but the stories and plots got better.

Unfortunately that lasted up until around season 6 and then season 7 was back to the season 2 quality. On average that makes it only barely better than DS9 averages...though DS9 hit lower lows...but MUCH HIGHER HIGHs (as I said, if all of DSn was like Season 6 and Season 7 of DS9, it would have been the best Star Trek ever).

Enterprise kind of was the worst of them in Season 1 and 2. I had no interest. It wasn't just boring, there really wasn't anything to keep my interest. Season 3 picked up and season 4 was phenomenal with a lot of miniseries Treks...but it was too little too late.

Star Trek Discovery I'm still out on the boat about. Some of it seems pretty good. None of it has hit the lows of Enterprise, but some of it I wonder if they have their heads nailed on straight. At times it seems more flash than thought put into it. At other times it has a lot to think about. It feels as if they are trying too hard to copy the Kelvin Universe movies in appearance, but with Trek tossed in. I wish they would just forget anything with Spock and that entire tie in with the time line. Overall, I like it thus far.

I did NOT know that you could get it on Amazon Prime. I have Amazon Prime, but did not know it could be watched that way. I bought the Blu-rays of it.

If I did get CBS AA when I'm in the states (overseas, I can watch Netflix typically if I wanted to I suppose), I'd get the version that you don't have commercials with. I think I'm going to be in the US when the new season starts to get released, so I may consider getting AA, but I'm not sure yet.

It HAS some other shows that seem interesting (the new Mcguyver, the New Magnum PI...etc) that I'd also probably be interested in watching at some point.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases