Solo: A Star Wars Story on Netflix

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Really? I thought the guy nailed the role pretty well. Huh. Different strokes. :D

I wouldn't say nailed it, but he did better than expected. I saw in him what I thought a young Han might be like. One that had yet to go from one end of the galaxy to the other, and seen it all. Middle age Han was cynical. Young Han still saw the galaxy as full of adventure.

I think one thing this movie lacked was memorable quotes.

carolpegram

First Post
Of all new Star Wars movies, I'm a fan of Rogue One because it's taking action between Episodes III and IV. I really like the characters, the story, locations but my favorite part is the Battle of Scarif. This battle is very detailed, and I liked that Garett Edwards included X-wing and Y-wing squadrons from Episode IV and "Ghost" from Star Wars Rebels. I'm not sure about Solo movie. I'm not saying it's bad, but it lacks on something I guess.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I just really like (as in love to hate) the Empire. The aesthetics, the sounds, the styles, Palpatine and Vader, stormtroopers, Star Destroyers, the architecture, even the mouse droids, the whole package ... it’s just *got* something that the bad guys in other eras lack. And the balance of “David v Goliath” is exactly right. So I enjoy stuff set in that era.

Zardnaar

Legend
I just really like (as in love to hate) the Empire. The aesthetics, the sounds, the styles, Palpatine and Vader, stormtroopers, Star Destroyers, the architecture, even the mouse droids, the whole package ... it’s just *got* something that the bad guys in other eras lack. And the balance of “David v Goliath” is exactly right. So I enjoy stuff set in that era.

Its because they used British actors for the Empire;).

I think its because the Empire is something to hate for everyone as Lucas kind of evoked the Nazis and the USSR. Stormtroopers, the Imperial Guard, the red, white, black colours on Vader, the guards men and stormies. They are something for everyone (Commies, Fascists, Black, blow up planets, kidnap princess's etc). First Order feels more like a lame rehash or an old EU Imperial faction of the week

I think expectations also matter when you see Star Wars. Went into TPM with huge expectation massive disappointment, meh about AotC going in and coming out, went in with low expectations and enjoyed RotS, went in cautious with TFA left very happy, went in neutral with Rogue One and loved it, TLJ went in excited left a bit disappointed and with Solo went in with very low expectation came away pleasantly surprised.

The problem for episode IX is you don't have a clear villain. Kylo has gone back and forth a bit to much and if he losses to Rey big deal he lost in TFA already and Luke made him look like a chump in TLJ. If he is redeemed its a rehash o RotJ. Hux was also used as comic relief although I love his character as he is so over the top.

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
I'm still holding out hope for a Boba blasts himself out of the Sarlac pit and becomes a pacific quasi-Taoist farmer film, but then is attacked by Darth Maul's undead lower body and called to adventure, taking on Jabba's and Leia's previously unheard of love child as his disciple...

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I'm still holding out hope for a Boba blasts himself out of the Sarlac pit and becomes a pacific quasi-Taoist farmer film, but then is attacked by Darth Maul's undead lower body and called to adventure, taking on Jabba's and Leia's previously unheard of love child as his disciple...

Wasn't that called Tripping the Rift?

MarkB

Legend
Of all new Star Wars movies, I'm a fan of Rogue One because it's taking action between Episodes III and IV. I really like the characters, the story, locations but my favorite part is the Battle of Scarif. This battle is very detailed, and I liked that Garett Edwards included X-wing and Y-wing squadrons from Episode IV and "Ghost" from Star Wars Rebels. I'm not sure about Solo movie. I'm not saying it's bad, but it lacks on something I guess.

Rogue One manages to tell a story that fits perfectly within the Star Wars universe while still being self-contained. I feel like it does everything it needs to in introducing the characters, the threat and the goals that someone who'd never seen Star Wars could sit down and watch it, and it'd make perfect sense to them and not feel like they came in at the end of a story. It also retains a sense of very high stakes.

Solo doesn't feel that way to me. I'd struggle to empathise with the protagonist without knowing that he'd turn out to become Han Solo, his little heist feels poorly-supported and inconsequential, and it's hard to become invested in its success given that he's very obviously doing it for someone who doesn't need, want or particularly deserve his help. Many of the story beats rely heavily on knowing the character's backstory from the original trilogy, to the extent that it feels more like a checklist of "how will they work that detail in?" than a consistent plot.

Remove ads