D&D 5E Curse of Strahd: Ranger or Warlock

fredpag3

Villager
Hi, a group of friends and I are about to start a Curse of Strahd campaign and I have been struggling to decide on my final class decision. I posted a thread last week asking for help in regards to a multi-class. That thread ended with a decision to go for full hexblade warlock. However, someone suggested give a look at the monster hunter ranger. I have since done that and am now no longer certain whether I want to go that way or not. I am new to 5th Ed and to role playing games in general so am looking for an opinion as to which would be the most rewarding to play.

Generally my two options are:

1. Hexblade, Pact of the Blade, Glaive, mix of combat and social skills and spells.
2. Revised Ranger, FE: Undead, Long Bow, support, survival and stealth skills and spells.

Quick RP back story:

My PC is a half-Drow that grew up in Neverwinter with his mother. One night, a Vampire appears in their home and charms her. The Vampire then disappears into a portal along with the PC's mother.

The PC then becomes an undead hunter in hopes of destroying all vampires and finding his mother.

I have his patron being the Raven Queen working as she gives him power in exchange for hunting the sentient undead which she hates.

He could also do it of his own accord and be the ranger.

I am interested in both but just don't know which would be more fun to play for the first time.

Currently, the party Composition is the following:
Teifling Cleric (light)
Sage Warforged Monk
Human Wizard (divination)
Then whatever I choose

Possible stats (points buy 27):
AbilityWarlockRanger
Strength1010
Dexterity15+115+1
Constitution15+114
Intelligence88
Wisdom1015+1
Charisma15+28+2

Thank you for all your help and appreciate any comments you may have.

TLDR:

I am looking for peoples opinions on what would be more satisfying and fun to play. I glaive Hexblade or a Longbow monster hunter ranger.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
At a practical level, Hexblade. You already have two party members with high Wisdom to cover Perception rolls, and you lack a party face since no one else has high Charisma. (A rarity in a 5e party!) And to be honest, the Revised Ranger's Primeval Awareness is one of the most awkward abilities for a DM, and if you guys are pretty new to 5e and RPGing, it could turn pretty painful. (After all, you're almost certainly going to pick undead as your favored enemy. Asking a DM how many undead are in Ravenloft in a 1 mile radius is like asking how many rats are in New York City in a 1 mile radius.)

That being said, if Ranger is the new shiny that's caught your eye, psychological studies show we're almost always happier when we pick something new and exciting rather than sticking with the status quo.

fredpag3

Villager
Hi TwoSix,

Thanks again for the response.

You do make a good point that the party doesn't really have a face.

Mhm that's fair. I think I'm the only one that is new to RPG's. But I don't really want to make life to difficult on the DM. Plus knowing how many rats are in New York wouldn't be super helpful.

As for the new thing. They both feel equally new and shiny. Just not sure which one is a diamond and which is quartz. That's terribly cheesy but but I want to continue the analogy.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Ranger is attractive because there is a fair amount of wilderness travel in this adventure.
Hexblade is attractive because there is a fair amount of diplomacy with NPCs in this adventure.

So I'd pick whichever one you think will be the most fun to play. Both should do fine.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
As for the new thing. They both feel equally new and shiny. Just not sure which one is a diamond and which is quartz. That's terribly cheesy but but I want to continue the analogy.
Fair. My vote is for Hexblade, for the reasons stated above and because I'm biased because I loved my Hexblade in Curse of Strahd. I'm also not a big fan of either the PHB ranger or revised ranger, so I'm biased there as well.

CTurbo

Explorer
Devotion Paladin! Aura of Protection, immunity to charm, and immunity to fear! Your DM will hate you! It will be fun! lol

Ymdar

Explorer
I recommend paladin of venegance/hexblade. We are still in the beginning of the adventure but this multiclass is really powerful in defense, offense and dealing with roleplaying situations. Also has a high AC.

fredpag3

Villager
I recommend paladin of venegance/hexblade. We are still in the beginning of the adventure but this multiclass is really powerful in defense, offense and dealing with roleplaying situations. Also has a high AC.
I was looking at it. It just comes online a little late for a 10 level max adventure. But if we keep the PC for another adventure I might add some paladin levels.

Remove ads