Guildmaster's Guide = Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes 2.0?!

dave2008

Legend
I have only just started it, but the races seem...innovative, kind of like Volo's (first official nonhumanoid PC race in 5e if I am not mistaken is in the GRR). I do like the NPC classes that I have read so far (I am going to use the Firefist for the Firre celestial eladrin).

I should get into the meat of the fluff shortly.

I just bought a copy and hope to get into it more over the weekend.

Eis

Explorer
a guy in our group is a big time Magic player and he's really excited to run a Ravnica campaign for us....its pretty fun seeing how pumped he is about it and its rubbing off on us as well

dave2008

Legend
a guy in our group is a big time Magic player and he's really excited to run a Ravnica campaign for us....its pretty fun seeing how pumped he is about it and its rubbing off on us as well

That's cool. I have no desire to run a Ravnica campaign, but I like all of the material I can use in my own campaign.

pukunui

Legend
As I said, YMMV, but it has proven successful in the market, and is the model moving forwards.
I know, and I, for one, am disappointed. WotC might regard it as a “less is more” approach, but I’m only seeing a “less is less” model. The Ravnica setting material seems more like gloss than anything else. I don’t like the idea of having to buy an expensive art book in order to get more setting info.

That said, the hyper-focused theme of this book is a welcome change after the random grab bags that were Xanathar’s and Mordenkainen’s.

Last edited:

Eis

Explorer
That's cool. I have no desire to run a Ravnica campaign, but I like all of the material I can use in my own campaign.

that's where I am too....I won't ever run a Ravnica campaign but it is always cool to have more stuff to crib from in my book

hehe in my book....i get it...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I know, and I, for one, am disappointed. WotC might regard it as a “less is more” approach, but I’m only seeing a “less is less” model. The Ravnica setting material seems more like gloss than anything else. I don’t like the idea of having to buy an expensive art book in order to get more setting info.

That said, the hyper-focused theme of this book is a welcome change after the random grab bags that were Xanathar’s and Mordenkainen’s.

I've enjoyed the random grab bags and the more focused book (but still high level). I appreciate the blank spaces as much as the detail, really.

pukunui

Legend
I've enjoyed the random grab bags and the more focused book (but still high level). I appreciate the blank spaces as much as the detail, really.
I’m happy for you and wish I could feel the same way. I love the 5e system but am feeling increasingly dissatisfied with WotC’s support of it.

dave2008

Legend

Maybe since I am not familiar with Ravnica I don't share this feeling. I have only gotten through about 1/4 of the book so far and I feel I've gotten more than enough of the setting to a run campaign in it. And that is just from reading the monster and NPC entries! I see no need for another book.

dave2008

Legend
I’m happy for you and wish I could feel the same way. I love the 5e system but am feeling increasingly dissatisfied with WotC’s support of it.

What more support would you like to see. Personally I kinda wish they would stop making material and just let it rest a bit. I feel like they are verging on to much "support" at this point.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases