Robert Schwalb releases his version of Warlord

Robert Schwalb, who designed one of my favorite games (Shadow of the Demon Lord), with a version of one of my favorite classes? Sold.

Robert Schwalb, who designed one of my favorite games (Shadow of the Demon Lord), with a version of one of my favorite classes? Sold.

smbakeresq

Explorer
It's charisma creep.

I've posted on this before, and it's definitely worth its own topic, but charisma has morphed from a dump stat that was often confused/conflated with "physical attractiveness" back in the day to a world-eating stat that will soon envelop all of Intelligence and Wisdom.

Nom nom nom.

I get criticized for being unfun, old crotchety, etc but using Variant Encumbrance cleans up a lot of the CHR builds. To me the problem is a lot of the CHR builds dump STR but then get medium armor, shield, all their other stuff without any trade off. If you use variant encumbrance then medium armor and shield will encumber most builds, which most players won’t want to trade AC for, so they will wear less armor, which balances them out somewhat.

Beside with Variant Encumbrance game elements like powerful build, dwarf armor trait, Mithral armor, boots of striding, portable holes, bags of holding, etc all mean more. That’s important to our group as long time players we value the iconic items. I view it as a balancing element.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I get criticized for being unfun, old crotchety, etc but using Variant Encumbrance cleans up a lot of the CHR builds. To me the problem is a lot of the CHR builds dump STR but then get medium armor, shield, all their other stuff without any trade off. If you use variant encumbrance then medium armor and shield will encumber most builds, which most players won’t want to trade AC for, so they will wear less armor, which balances them out somewhat.

Beside with Variant Encumbrance game elements like powerful build, dwarf armor trait, Mithral armor, boots of striding, portable holes, bags of holding, etc all mean more. That’s important to our group as long time players we value the iconic items. I view it as a balancing element.

I dunno. I think the very notion of a bag of holding is a boring way to get around encumberance rules.

Satyrn

First Post
Yeah, gonna have to agree. Nothing against Rob as he is a talented designer and clearly has struck on something people are clamoring for. But, IMO, the base class does seem like a glorified Valor Bard with the Inspiring Leader feat and perhaps even has the Aid and/or Bless spells through magical secrets. No TPP truly necessary.

I almost like it (I don't know what the subclasses look like, though), but I hate the flavor text of Battlefield Command. Like, the most regular criticism of the 4e Warlord was that it was the class you chose to boss around your fellow players. I never really got that with 4e's (but looking back at its powers last night I see how one could).

Battlefield Commands just pounds away with the idea of ordering around your party members more than 4e did. It's very off-putting, yet the mechanics are fine (it's just like the bard's inspiration dice, after all).

The feature would be cool if was called Battlefield Advice.

smbakeresq

Explorer
I dunno. I think the very notion of a bag of holding is a boring way to get around encumberance rules.

It has a weight to it, 15 lbs. More important, if you don't have one then you are screwed in the amount of treasure and other stuff you can get out. Besides, without one how you are going to have Santa Clause in your campaign?

I get what you are saying though, people want 8 Str weaklings with 20 CHR to have no weaknesses and tradeoffs for their builds. People don't want balancing factors at all, they just want power for no trade offs. Since I enforce it though PCs look for all the above in their dungeons, or commission them to be made after finding the materials. This way ingots of mithral now become treasure and currency that I can put in the game.

Remove ads

Remove ads