I want faster character creation. Also, I’m a monster.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Additional "pro" for character death: Assuming you were making reasonably informed choices, your choices mattered as to the outcome. You knew the stakes. You chose to engage. You lost.

The solution to iteration time, that is, the time it takes a player to get back into the game after a character is killed is resolved by (1) creating a backup character during the character creation phase of the campaign and (2) writing that backup character into the emerging story from time to time to explain why he or she is able to jump in when the primary character buys the farm.

The solution to iteration time, that is, the time it takes a player to get back into the game after a character is killed is resolved by (1) creating a backup character during the character creation phase of the campaign and (2) writing that backup character into the emerging story from time to time to explain why he or she is able to jump in when the primary character buys the farm.

This is solid advice.

Also, as a DM I have a few recurring NPCs with character sheets which I have let new players try out for a session to see if they jive with the group. If all goes well, they create a character for the next session.

These recurring NPCs could also be used if a PC should die mid-session, so a player without a backup can continue to play. For example, at one of our tables the PCs are currently exploring islands on their ship, and there are several NPC crewmembers which could fit the bill after a burial at sea...

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
But....decision points are what make it character creation, instead of Random Fighter Guy #7.

Some would say it’s the choice of class, background and personality that makes it character creation.

Regardless the ultimate point of character creation isn’t about character custimization but instead it’s about having a character you can play in game.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Regardless the ultimate point of character creation isn’t about character custimization but instead it’s about having a character you can play in game.

Then there's no need for a creation step at all. Just play the same character again. The sheet's right there.

Or, pull a pregen from the internet. Takes maybe 30 seconds.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
But....decision points are what make it character creation, instead of Random Fighter Guy #7.
There's a non-negligible section of players who believe character differentiation should be done primarily through characterization at the table, rather than through build mechanics.

I think this can work in some OSR-like gameplay styles, but I don't think it fits into most modern styles of D&D play.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Then there's no need for a creation step at all. Just play the same character again. The sheet's right there.

Playing the same character again and again and again etc is a rather hollow sounding suggestion.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Playing the same character again and again and again etc is a rather hollow sounding suggestion.

I wasn't the one who said, "the ultimate point of character creation isn’t about character custimization but instead it’s about having a character you can play in game."

If it is just about having "a character," then why not just do it over and over again?

Make an absolute statement, and reap the rewards of pure logic. Leave yourself some wiggle room, and you can avoid such traps.

I always keep a pile of pregens on me (When I’m gaming, that is. It’s not like I walk around clutching a folder of pregenerated characters at all times).

Character creation in 5e is pretty fast, if you go with the, hrm, “prix fixe” options rather than a la carte. But that’s if you’re going with 1st level characters. Anything higher and it becomes more complicated.

As for Standard Array vs just rolling the dice, I don’t see either as being faster or slower. It takes time to roll and write down your stats. SA, you pretty much know where your highest and lowest are ending up, based on the class you want to play, it’s just the in-between stuff that takes thought. And honestly, as a DM, if someone comes up to me saying they rolled their stats, if they’re not rocking at least two single digit stats and nothing higher than a 14, chances are I’m not going to buy that they rolled them honestly. Call me cynical, but I feel like rolled stats are more often “what the player eventually rolled that they were happy with.”

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I always keep a pile of pregens on me (When I’m gaming, that is. It’s not like I walk around clutching a folder of pregenerated characters at all times).
Slacker. I ALWAYS keep my dice bag and spare characters on my person, up to and including showers and conjugal relations.

Remove ads