Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The actor is very good. He was in Hell on Wheels which is worth a watch along with Colm Meaney from DS9.
Think new one is tonight or tomorrow on Netflix here.

It’s on Fridays on Netflix. Thursdays in America on their channel, I think.

Zardnaar

Legend
Y'know [MENTION=6688277]Sadras[/MENTION], I had the same experience. DS9 really does improve on rewatch (although I still think the show went very, very downhill after Terry Farrell left the show. The whole last season was a grind for me, both the first and second times through.

But, yeah, Disco does seem to hold together much better when you watch it like a regular streaming show - two or three episodes back to back.

Binge watched 6 episodes of DS9 Sunday. Just finished season 2 cliffhanger and have gone further than when I watched in the 90s.

Y'know [MENTION=6688277]Sadras[/MENTION], I had the same experience. DS9 really does improve on rewatch (although I still think the show went very, very downhill after Terry Farrell left the show. The whole last season was a grind for me, both the first and second times through.
Yeah, the first half of season 7 is rough. Not that interesting cliffhanger. Forced new character. Lot of spinning wheels while the wait for the final stretch. But that's probably also as a result of comparing it to the previous two seasons: it's still probably a tighter half season that anything Voyager did... (And doing a "best of TNG" rewatch with my son, I also ended up skipping all of season 7 save 2-3 episodes: after a while the characters are just done.

Oof... that was a rough episode.

We finally find out about our cyborg, and she is a cyborg, and the whole episode tries really hard to make us care about her so the ending matters. But it doesn't. As it does too often, Discovery tries to TELL us there's an emotional connection or something matters rather than actually SHOWING us.
This episode would have worked so very much better had we seen Airiam and Tilly regularly interacting before. If we'd have been given a reason to care. If Airiam had been given scenes with the other cast members prior. Instead, it just tries to retcon an attachment.

And what the eff was up with the security guard? We see her watching Airiam. She knows something is up. And she does nothing. Worst. Head of Security. Ever.

Plus, watching that fight was groan worthy. Why didn't the security officer put on her helmet? You'd think her personal suit would have her own atmosphere. And having your security chief disabled so effortlessly seems like a terrible design flaw.
Meanwhile, my wife and I were both going "why don't they beam them back?!" The ship is literally watching the fight happen and nobody thinks to just beam Airiam into a transporter room full of a dozen red shirts with primed phasers set to stun.

Just like the Section 31 controller, which seems like the Big Bad. The evil AI that goes crazy and kills everyone. We've heard them drop "threat assessment" a few times before, but they haven't really emphasized that it's based on an AI.
Trek has done killer AIs a couple times before. There's Nomad in The Changeling and M-5 in The Ultimate Computer. The best example is still V'ger. But the "killer AI that destroys all life" feels like a pretty hackneyed science fiction trope I've seen a dozen times before.
I hope they pull a twist and that's not the case. The "evil AI that turns on their creator" isn't interesting anymore by itself. I need a twist.

Something else in this episode rubbed me the wrong way. And I think I finally figured out the other issues I have.

First, the biggest problem with season one was how it teased the questioning of Starfleet values in war and if taking hard action was necessary if it meant winning the war. Embodied by Captain Lorca. And then it took the easiest way out of that by just making him a cartoonishly evil wannabe dictator from a universe of jerks. So it never had to actual answer any of the hard questions or deal with any fallout of his morally grey actions.
Torture? Leaving a civilian to be tortured in a POW camp? Betraying an admiral? Human experimentation. Nope. All cool now. Medals and promotions for everyone!!

This season has been edging on a similar idea: what role does Section 31 play in Starfleet following a war. A decent question that also would have applied following DS9. Does the organization need to be restrained now the war is over? Should it be forced to answer for its actions during wartime? This is an interesting theme about the military industrial complex. That's kinda neat.
But, nope, Section 31 is controlled by an evil AI out to destroy all life in the galaxy. Moral quandary averted.

They did the same damn dodge... again.

And, hey, after Control is destroyed, Section 31 will be trying to find its place in this new galaxy while rebuilding and proving its need. And, wow, conveniently, there's a Section 31 show in development. So this whole season is setting up a spinoff.
:erm:

Which also makes me question the plotting of the red angel stuff.
If the story of the season is about Section 31 vs Starfleet and a rogue AI created by bother... why mix in time travel and visions of the future and weird signals? That just adds an unnecessary layer of complexity to the story.
Really, the Starfleet vs Section 31 storyline is strong enough on its own. Bringing in the future and extinction of every living thing just feels forced. Like the writers weren't confident enough that people would care about the stakes.
(Given the Calypso mini episode, I'm undecided if the Red Angel is going to be revealed to be Aldis Hodge's Craft or the AI of the Discovery itself. But those are my bets.)

Also... why wait until now to show us the Spock murder footage? Having seen that early on would have made the search for Spock and hunt for answers that much more dramatic. That should have been something we saw early on. Waiting until now feels weird. We already know it's fake by that point, so there's no drama in watching him execute people.

I really enjoyed this episode, and I think that it worked great.
Sure, it seems a bit cheap to only really tell us more about Airam when she's about to die, but: We already wanted to know about her since Season 1, Episode 3, when she first appeared, and the interest only grew. And in the mean-time, she has become a familiar sight. And I would disagree that they tell, and not show - we see her interactions with others, several scenes specifically from her perspective. We see a lot about her internal feelings just because we know which memories she archives and which she deletes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases