Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

Zardnaar

Legend
I have to admit, I'm pretty lenient about Star Trek first seasons. Other than maybe the original series, every first season of any Star Trek series has ranged from pretty darn bad to godawful with writing and acting kinks still being worked out.

They came out of the gate with Disco pretty heavy handed, taking a firm stand on a lot of stuff and that annoyed a lot of people. But, now that all that stuff's established, they don't have to keep hammering away and they can just use it.

And, let's not forget, that these are the shortest seasons Star Trek has ever seen. They only have a dozen or so episodes to establish stuff instead of the 20-24 they had previously. There's really only so much you can do in the time they have, so, a lot of questions are going to have to wait for a next season.

Beats me how Trek gets weak season 1s do often.
Takes time for metaplot to kick in I suppose. Sci fi shows often peak season 3 or 4 I suppose.

Sadras

Legend
As life would have it, after my post about how I'm not really enjoying the show as much as I'd like to, episode 5, for me, was really good.

MarkB

Legend
Interesting title for today's episode, and I'm not sure how much to read into it. Taken from a classic science fiction short story, the prototypical crushing-a-butterfly story about the repercussions of changing the past, and it opened with images of butterfly-like creatures flitting between flowers, yet for all the talk about the Red Angel's potential time-travel capabilities there was no apparent use of time travel within the plot.

Overall, the story felt a little forced and one-sided. We get barely a glimpse of the Ba'ul's side of this culture's divisions, and the decision to facilitate the Kelpiens' transformation is made with no knowledge of either its long-term psychological effects or the potential side effects of artificially inducing it upon Kelpiens before their natural maturation. It's a ridiculously reckless move to make with two entire species' survival at stake.

Also, the Red Angel is a humanoid in an advanced time-travelling mechanical super-suit? If it turns out to be Michael Burnham I'm going to have to take back every argument I ever made against the popular view of her as a Mary Sue character.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
My first thought was the suit seemed to be feminine in shape. SYFY Wire had a list of it might be. Kirk, Picard,
future Spock, Pike, Thelonians (sp) The aliens from The Cage, Lorca. Last on the list was Burnham. I hope it's not her either.

I think the title could be a foreshadowing. Choices made now will be revisited later after the effects are felt. I still found the over all episode was better than The Orville this week.

MarkB

Legend
My first thought was the suit seemed to be feminine in shape. SYFY Wire had a list of it might be. Kirk, Picard,
future Spock, Pike, Thelonians (sp) The aliens from The Cage, Lorca. Last on the list was Burnham. I hope it's not her either.

Well, it is the Red Angel. My second guess after Burnham would be Tilly.

Third would be Spock.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Oddly Tilly wasn't on SYFY's list. I could see it being her. My money is on Spock. In the movie he still needed a ship to travel in time. So it must be an even more future Spock than the one in the movie. I know, I know, the movie and series are not connected.

Hussar

Legend
Interesting watch. Good show. Establishes nicely that this is not exactly the Federation we're used to - they're a bit faster and looser with Executive Order 1. :D

My money is on Spock being the Red Angel. OTOH, that's a pretty obvious idea. I'd probably be a bit disappointed if it is.

Maybe it's Q. :D

Remove ads