Yunru

Banned
Banned
Drain Stamina:
Spell School: Necrotic
Casting time: 1 action
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Range: 60 feet?
Chose a creature you can see. At the beginning of each of that creature's turns, it must make a Constitution check or lose (gain?) one level of Exhaustion. The spell ends if the creature leaves the range of the spell or succeeds on their check.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Drain Stamina:
Chose a creature you can see. At the beginning of each of that creature's turns, it must make a Constitution check or lose (gain?) one level of Exhaustion. The spell ends if the creature leaves the range of the spell or succeeds on the saving throw.

3rd?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'd say 4th if you add a line where the character can ''heal'' a level of exhaustion if the enemy is drained. :)

Maybe 5th if you also add a small speed reduction, something like 15 or 20 feet.

Worrgrendel

Explorer
You state it must make a Constitution "check" but then say the spell ends if it succeeds on the saving throw? Which is it? Because a Con check is very different (more difficult) from a Con save and that affects the level of the spell greatly especially if it is on the Warlock spell list and Hex can give them disadvantage on the check but not the save.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
You state it must make a Constitution "check" but then say the spell ends if it succeeds on the saving throw? Which is it? Because a Con check is very different (more difficult) from a Con save and that affects the level of the spell greatly especially if it is on the Warlock spell list and Hex can give them disadvantage on the check but not the save.
Ah, that's an error. Originally it was a saving throw, but then failing once doesn't do anything, so I made it a check and forgot to change the later.

Also Hex and this both use Concentration?

I would start with level 4 at least.
Once the target hit level 3 of exhaustion he is in a pretty bad situation.
The spell can be compare to contagion. Multiple saves, effects last long, but have effect any save fail.

Quartz

Hero
Drain Stamina:
Chose a creature you can see. At the beginning of each of that creature's turns, it must make a Constitution check or lose (gain?) one level of Exhaustion. The spell ends if the creature leaves the range of the spell or succeeds on their check.

That's a very nasty spell. Can you change targets? Do the targets regain their levels of Exhaustion if they leave the range of the spell or stop being targeted by the spell? If not, this would be a deadly hit-and-run combo. Cast spell, target a couple of PCs, escape with Dimension Door, Misty Step, or whatever, then repeat.

Because of the increasing effect, the duration, and the difficulty in removing levels of Exhaustion, I'd put it at 1 level above Contagion.

Worrgrendel

Explorer
Also Hex and this both use Concentration?

They do, missed that. Still, in a party with a Warlock these spells would have great synergy.

Also, for clarification, if the spell ends for the target creature (either by making the check or moving out of range), do the levels of exhaustion accumulated remain? How do they go away? As normal?

As far as level, I would agree with level 4. Even with a Con check and not a save, all they have to do is succeed at one check and the spell ends. Contagion is level 5 but the target has to succeed on 3 saves (non-consecutive) to end the effect.

Another nice tidbit on the Con check as opposed to a save is creatures cannot use Legendary Actions to succeed on it if they fail the save. My experience is most creatures that have Legendary Actions still have a good con score, but still it could be exploited quite well by the right party combo.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Exhaustion remains if the spell ends, which is why I tried to make it relatively easy for a player to break. The target can't be changex once the spell is cast... although I guess it can be twinned, hmm...

aco175

Legend
Can you cast it at a higher level to add more people or to drain more than one level per round. This may affect the power of the spell. How about Mass Drain Stamina.

Remove ads