(Mostly) Uncontroversial Quirks of 5E

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Apart from the rapier I don't have much of a problem with the weapons table. (You know what you did, rapier. Don't give me that look.)

The races are fine; I would have liked to see a third option for Human. Because as some have pointed out: not all games use feats, and not everyone likes the non-variant version.

I wish all classes had at least 3 subclasses in the PHB, minimum. It felt like some classes were being oversold, and others neglected.

And while we're picking nits, could we redo the artwork for the elf woman on page 138? It looks like she has suffered a terrible spine injury. Judging from the look on her face, it is causing her great discomfort.

Vael

Legend
Ok let’s test this one out. The hafling art for the race description (the bobble head looking one).

Does anyone like thst art piece?

There are precisely 4 pieces of art in the whole PHB I dislike: the two singing Halflings (the one mentioned, and the one on page 120), and the two women in bare midriff armor which I thought we'd moved past. Which, now that I think about it, those two look like recycled art.

My favourite art, FYI, is the Gnome pulling a Mission: Impossible style heist and the Prismatic Spray.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Re: #2

I would like to see there be some mechanical reason to pick a piercing, slashing, or bludgeoning weapon. (For instance, Skeletons are weak vs Bludgeoning.) Right now, it is almost always "just damage", no matter which weapon you use on your foe.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
There are precisely 4 pieces of art in the whole PHB I dislike: the two singing Halflings (the one mentioned, and the one on page 120), and the two women in bare midriff armor which I thought we'd moved past. Which, now that I think about it, those two look like recycled art.

My favourite art, FYI, is the Gnome pulling a Mission: Impossible style heist and the Prismatic Spray.

67 and 137?

Does 67 count because she's not wearing armour at all?

Don't forget the halfling on 132.

Vael

Legend
67 and 137?

Does 67 count because she's not wearing armour at all?

Don't forget the halfling on 132.

Yes. They're not really bad pieces, at least the characters look active and not just cheese-cakey.

That halfling is ... barely acceptable. The other two are nightmare fuel.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Yes. They're not really bad pieces, at least the characters look active and not just cheese-cakey.

That halfling is ... barely acceptable. The other two are nightmare fuel.

Yeah, fair.

The senior art director is a woman which I think has helped 5e a lot.

Both midriff pics are far better than the bare-chested dude on pg 33 of the DMG. At least the characters in the midriff pics look like they're about to wreck some monster-shoppe. The DMG pic looks like something from the cover of a bad romance novel.

Agreed - both of those are excellent.

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

Both midriff pics are far better than the bare-chested dude on pg 33 of the DMG. At least the characters in the midriff pics look like they're about to wreck some monster-shoppe. The DMG pic looks like something from the cover of a bad romance novel.

You know, I have had the DMG for almost three months now and never even looked at page 33! That is funny, he does look like something from a bad romance novel. Of course, I think most of the first part of the DMG is a waste of paper and should have been a separate book, but that's probably just me...

lluewhyn

Explorer
I had a 30 page section fall out of my DMG due to the known binding issue of early print runs.

I'll add it to the list. If we're talking about product defects, I'm also adding the illegibility of the names on some of the miniatures as well. 3rd Party production, but I don't recall having so much trouble reading names on any of the miniatures put out in the 3.5/4.0 eras.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases