Introducing Complications Without Forcing Players to Play the "Mother May I?" Game

Sadras

Legend
@Sadras, my understanding is that 5e D&D does not permit the GM to make social checks resulting from NPC behaviour in the fiction which then yield results that are binding on players in their play of their PCs. But I'm not an expert on 5e D&D, so perhaps there is an option to that effect that I'm not aware of.

You are correct in your understanding. The point of that question was to reflect that as the player is allowed to freely roleplay their character and not to be bound by any social die, similarly the DM is free to roleplay their NPC. Again I stress this is very much part of the roleplaying aspect of the game. You might not like it, and that is fair, but this roleplaying aspect of the game does not somehow make it a MMI-styled game.
Given the above (FG cannot persuade PC) why is it not Player-May-I? or following from Mother, Child-May-I?

As far as your example of play is concerned, you are the one who posted it and (implicitly) invited comment. In your example of play, the player has declared an action - to the effect of I look at the giant imploringly and gesture with my hand for the return of my shard - and you have unilaterally decided the outcome of that action based on your conception of what is reasonable for a giant. You haven't spelled out all your reasoning (and obviously are not obliged to) - for instance, upthread I noted the possible relevance of alignment to the situation, and (I think) you XPed that post, but you haven't actually indicated whether your decision-making as GM was affected by a view that a CE being will never respond to imploring looks.

I XPed you for your creative thinking. It had nothing to do with the alignment, that would be, IMO, a little too simplistic.

My internal reasoning: It had to do with the write-up of Frost Giants (it takes what is need/wants from others, values sheer brute strength, society of plunderers since they are not crafters, prize steel, and recognise 2 kinds of loot - one which is kvit = material goods) and their lack of relationship with them.
In essence the FG liked something, and it was given freely and there was no compulsion on the FG to return the item to a lesser and weaker being. Simple as that. The alignment descriptor is just gravy.

To me, a key feature of your example of play is that your conception of what is reasonable for the giant differs from that of the player - unless there is something else going on that you haven't mentioned (like the player saying something or making a face or whatever that indicated that s/he thought the action declaration was a try-on), the player clearly thought that it might be reasonable for the giant to respond to the request.

I cannot fault you on this as you do not know the particular player, but this player would have called me out on this if he thought I roleplayed this FG incorrectly, especially since his character lost an extremely important item both for backstory purposes and from a mechanical aspect. In fact he still ridicules the roleplaying decisions of a particular NPC I DMed 2 years ago.
I never got any flack from him or the table for this, and in fact he has been teased by the rest of the players for his momentary lapse in judgment by

This feeds directly into the claim from you and @Imaro that there is no difference, to RPG play, between the GM unilaterally deciding an outcome and the GM calling for a check. That claim is, in my view, rebutted by the following point made by Vincent Baker:
Roleplaying is negotiated imagination. In order for any thing to be true in game, all the participants in the game (players and GMs, if you've even got such things) have to understand and assent to it. When you're roleplaying, what you're doing is a) suggesting things that might be true in the game and then b) negotiating with the other participants to determine whether they're actually true or not. . . .

Mechanics . . . exist to ease and constrain real-world social negotiation between the players at the table. That's their sole and crucial function.​

I'm not so convinced it rebuts any claims.

We can elaborate a bit: we have to assume that the action declaration and hence "negotiation" is sincere and made in good faith (something I already alluded to above, when I said I'm assuming that the player has not conceded that the action declaration is a try-on); likewise I am assuming that the use of the mechanics is done sincerely and in good faith.

With sincerity and good faith I can set a DC 30 Diplomacy check, similar in a way that I handwave yes to some things with anything I consider under DC 10 and I don't bother with the possible 20's or 1's respectively.

I'm also not entirely convinced we had reached the negotiation aspect of the roleplaying game. In any event, D&D attempts to retain much of the free-flowing roleplaying within the social and exploration pillars as the combat pillar is much more clearly defined.

Which poster in this thread do you think plays a game "lacking in roleplaying depth"?

Rushing to grab dice to establish the fiction at every point is like stop-starting in a game of Football (soccer). The game is less free flowing (and often more frustrating) as the whistle is blown (dice are rolled) for everything.

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
...I'll say it again: the difference lies in how the declaration is perceived (and received) by others at the table, including the GM. If you don't see this, then fine...but that doesn't mean it's not there to see.
Which I would call having a conversation, i.e., the parole of play. Declarations of any sort do not exist in isolation - no matter how much you may like the neatness of subatomic divisions of actions - but contextually as part of play. Declarations are textual, metatextual, and contextual.

I liken that perspective to the new generation of sensitive youngsters where everybody is special, talented and and...
Normally, I would liken this perspective to bullcrap. However, the critical difference is that bovine manure has material substance and a value for agriculture whereas this perspective has neither substance nor value.

Sadras

Legend
Normally, I would liken this perspective to bullcrap. However, the critical difference is that bovine manure has material substance and a value for agriculture whereas this perspective has neither substance nor value.

Pemerton decided to XP a poster that had said twice that traditional-styled games are not games. Do you disagree with Pemerton on this issue?

Sadras

Legend
2 - Your point above always vexes me when I see it for many reasons:

I did not realise this comparison had been made before.

- In TTRPGs, I don’t perceive the GM role as guardian/parent/overseer.

Then why do you not correct Pemerton on the use of Mother-May-I for a certain style of roleplaying games. Given your stance of letting the poster run rough-shod with the term over two recent threads, it seems to me that you actually celebrate in its usage and thus your actions run contrary to your above declaration.

- In TTRPGs, I don’t perceive the players’ roles as that of children.

We have this in common. I just said the word liken I did not say is. A word which again used by Pemerton in a sentence to compare the appearance of watching tv or reading a book to a particular styled roleplaying game.

I'm astounded in the difference in your emotion (vexed) when I use the word and when Pemerton does.

- In TTRPGs, peer network stratification via intraparty competition in a team based social game seems like an input to play that is begging for table dysfunction to arise. Even old school Skilled Play (which I engage in regularly) is “team vs obstacle.” That mode is an input that engenders good table results (assuming a referee understands their actual role, their constraints, and doesn’t assume an adversarial, “I’m competing against the players” dysfunctional position.

Adversarial is your word, and was not implied, consciously or subconsciously.
In fact a few weeks ago I posted on Enworld about how I did not kill a PC, even though I might have had plenty of opportunity to do so and invited others to comment on the scenario.

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
Pemerton decided to XP a poster that had said twice that traditional-styled games are not games. Do you disagree with Pemerton on this issue?
(1) I disagree with your baseless characterization of "the new generation" and its relevance to the discussion.

(2) This is triangulation.

(3) I have no oversight over the criteria by which Pemerton provides the XP that he does. Those reasons are his alone. I know from my own experience, however, that I do not always award XP with posts that I find myself in full or partial agreement. I often reward XP to show my appreciation for a variety of reasons: e.g., illuminative or lucid responses, good faith responses, unique thread contributions, propagating good will, showing mutual thanks for that person previously giving me XP, raising less heard voices, etc.

(4) Your post is framed as a leading question, linking via guilt by association of Pemerton's argument to the recipient of his XP.

"Person A gave XP to Person B who is a known marijuana user. Now then. Do you agree with Person A?"

You are obviously free to ask my opinion, and I am free to give or decline it, but you are likelier to ensure my cooperation through rephrasing your inquiry. That said, I did dislike your game-mastering adjudication choices in the Frost Giant test case you offered, and so regardless of whether or not I agree with Pemerton (or how your table felt about it), this dislike may impair any impartiality when it comes to weighing in on the metatextual issue as applied to the textual test case.

Last edited:

[MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6688277]Sadras[/MENTION]

Reread my last paragraph. You’ve completely inverted what I said.

I basically said “the table dynamic of skilled play works UNLESS the GM screws up and plays asversarially. There is no assumption about adversarial play. It’s the opposite.

Regarding MMI. It’s a concept that attempts to communicate by making a comparison of the dynamics of content introduction being mediated through an authority. It has nothing to say about the social engineering relationship inherent to parents/overseers and their charges/children. So I don’t see where I need to “call anyone out.”

Yeah, let me double down on [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION] ‘s “I don’t always xp posts where I’m in full, or even partial agreement with the author.” I’ll gladly xp stuff I disagree with just because I like the effort to communicate or the way a point was put or how tempered it was amidst hostility.

My xp is pretty arbitrary, because I’m not reading posts chronologically in threads like I used to. I’m just scanning here and there as time allows and, if I’m interested, I’ll throw some words at the conversation.

Sadras

Legend
[MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6688277]Sadras[/MENTION]

Reread my last paragraph. You’ve completely inverted what I said.

I basically said “the table dynamic of skilled play works UNLESS the GM screws up and plays asversarially. There is no assumption about adversarial play. It’s the opposite.

My apologies, I just reread it. I'm not sure how that relates to the comment that vexed you.

Sadras

Legend
(1) I disagree with your baseless characterization of "the new generation" and its relevance to the discussion.

The way I see it, is, that every action declaration a PC comes up with isn't necessarily novel that should justify a roll just like any opinion made by a self-entitled youngster is not precious, insightful or helpful. That is the link I made, yes it is crude, but to be clear this is not an attack on your's or Pemerton's character. I'm also not saying players are youngsters.

You disagree, fine. You dislike by DM adjudication, cool. I'm even ok with the impartiality aspect, that is basic human nature. Posters disagree daily on these boards. I just find it peculiar that some will blow up like popcorn kernels at the mention that a TTRPG is just a boardgame, but XP another who declares another TTRPG is not even a game, but hey...we have a ton of excuses under the sun why that might be. C'est la vie.

No worries. I have to catch up on some various lines of thought and questions. I don’t have the time right now and likely won’t tonight. Probably tomorrow.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases