What can you use for DM's guild product

rebbeman

Villager
I am looking at creating material for using 5e rules for an modern urban fantasy setting. I have some questions about what i can and can't use and how i can and can't use them:

1 What can I refer to directly from the main books e.g. names of classes and class features, names of monsters, spells and magical items, page references to main books etc

2 What can i use from Unearthed Arcana and articles from the Wizards website. Can i cut and paste from these and use as is and if so do I have to provide reference for its origin? If not can I refer to the UA article but not copy? e.g. using material from articles about modern weapons and armor and UA on modern magic.

3 If i like a class, class feature, race etc. from another DM guild writer can i use their stuff? Do I need prior permission or can i just attribute it.

4 Does the product need to be completely generic with respect to setting or can i provide details of a sample setting?

Thanks Y'all.

Quickleaf

Legend
I am looking at creating material for using 5e rules for an modern urban fantasy setting. I have some questions about what i can and can't use and how i can and can't use them:

1 What can I refer to directly from the main books e.g. names of classes and class features, names of monsters, spells and magical items, page references to main books etc

2 What can i use from Unearthed Arcana and articles from the Wizards website. Can i cut and paste from these and use as is and if so do I have to provide reference for its origin? If not can I refer to the UA article but not copy? e.g. using material from articles about modern weapons and armor and UA on modern magic.

3 If i like a class, class feature, race etc. from another DM guild writer can i use their stuff? Do I need prior permission or can i just attribute it.

4 Does the product need to be completely generic with respect to setting or can i provide details of a sample setting?

Thanks Y'all.

You might want to read up on the differences between DrivethruRPG (use the 5e SRD) and DMs Guild (use specific Intellectual Property & reference spells, magic items, and monster stats not covered in 5e SRD), both operated by OneBookshelf. Here's a reddit discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/7nlorc/drivethrurpg_vs_dmsguild_question_about_what_i/

1. On DMs Guild you can directly refer to all of that. For example, you could create an alternative use for Channel Divinity, refer to barbarians, refer to the DMG and a page number, and even replicate the stats for a goblin or mind flayer (to suit your adventure, within reason).

2. As I understand it, you cannot use Unearthed Arcana. However, I recommend reaching out to Carolyn Neumann, the Community Content Manager for DMs Guild, and asking. There's also a FAQ but the DMs Guild site is down, so I don't know if it has an answer to that question.

3. Generally, as I have collaborated with other DMs Guild creators, the appropriate way to handle that is to contact the person with a bit of info on your project and ask permission to use XYZ. Many creators are happy to lend a bit of something they made, just ask sincerely. If it is something they felt they did a substantial effort to create, it's entirely reasonable to cut them a little share of your profits – DMs Guild is now set up so you can do that.

4. If you want to create your own setting, the better place to do that is probably DrivethruRPG because none of the content you create there becomes WotC's intellectual property. If you read the fine-print of DMs Guild, your work essentially becomes WotC's IP. Also, with DrivethruRPG you'll take away a greater share of profits (I think it's like a 20% take vs. the 50% royalty take for DMs Guild). There are people releasing settings on DMs Guild, but I don't know how well informed they are about what they're agreeing to. DMs Guild is really meant if you need to use WotC IP for your product OR you want exposure specifically in the 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons sphere.

The only thing I will add to Quickleaf's reply is that to #3, yes you can use anything published by anyone else. Assuming you are not doing something like a collection or best of. You don't actually have to share profits or credit them, but you would be a jerk if you didn't.

Remove ads