D&D 5E The Fiddly Bits (That Still Get My Newer Players)

Some fiddly stuff that I have to look up just about every time they come up:
All the suggestions below work on paper. I've never used Roll20, but I assume there is a Notes field where some of this could go.

-The formula for how far/high a character can jump based on their strength
-The formula for carrying capacity (annoyingly the Roll20 character sheets will calculate current weight total but do not show the maximum)

I've had to look up jumping rules whenever the situation arises, too.
Carrying capacity is simple enough to write on the character sheet, though: STR x 15

-The formula for number of prepared spells
For our home game, I type this on page 3 of the character sheets - e.g. "# of spells prepared = Wizard level(2) + INT modifier(3) = 5".

-The details of some of the lesser used conditions
These are all on the basic version of the DM screen. When I first bought it, I thought it was a waste of space, but it has been pretty much the most useful part.

-Some spells that break the typical patterns. For example, grease causes the save on the caster's turn if creatures are in it, but most other effects only trigger a save at the beginning of a creatures turn if they are in the area.
I've mentioned this in past threads: Use a site like www.dnd-spells.com for a PDF/printable custom spell list for each character. The players can easily review their spells without sifting through the PHB and/or Xanathar's to find the spell descriptions. It has helped speed up play significantly at our various tables. IMO, players need to be in charge of the mechanics of their spells - the DM can't be memorizing or browsing through the entire spell list for the table on top of the rest of the heavy lifting.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
We really only have this one at our table:
6) When can I use Sneak Attack?
The solution was to just play a Swashbuckler. You get sneak attack every round! :D

All joking aside, we started gaming back in 2003, under the 3rd Edition rules...and most of us were brand-new at the time, never having picked up a d20 in our lives. When we switched to 5th Edition a few years ago, everything felt easier and less fiddly by comparison. Like, dramatically so. It was almost off-putting how much easier it was than 3.X, if you can believe that.

We've added a handful of new players to the group since then, and these new players are Brand New...never played a tabletop rpg before. They seem to struggle a lot less than they used to under the older versions of the game, but the ones from your list that they struggle with the most are #3 and #5 (and we don't even bother with #1...I'm not sure, but isn't it an optional rule anyway?)

WaterRabbit

Explorer
I find the inspiration one interesting. I allow 4 points of inspiration to be used each session. As players roll both their normal die and the advantage/disadvantage die at the same time, they know in advance if inspiration will affect the action. Anyone in the group can claim a point of inspiration by tying it to one of their traits. Each trait can only be used once.

All four points get used up every session.

I borrowed this idea from someone else on the forum and it works very well.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Hmm... I wonder what percentage of the comments will be inspiration.

My first solution to Inspiration not getting used was to go out and buy a handful of just hideous d20s. Something no sane person would buy, so it stood out and caught the eye. Then, I assigned one to each player. No checking the box. If you had the die in hand, you had inspiration. If you used inspiration, you rolled that, specific die (they were all fair). I even let you spend inspiration to give disadvantage to an NPC/DM roll and you got to roll your inspiration die, which gave a lot more insight into things that you'd think. It helped, but still wasn't ideal.

A few months ago, I switched gears. Talking with the players, there was a dawning realization that, even though it's not exactly hard to get back inspiration, having a cap of one feels like a super-limited resource. So, away went the dice and out came the poker chips. Everyone starts every session with three chips, unless they finished the last one with more. Seems to be working out pretty well, so far. I'm seeing a lot more flow of inspiration than I did previously. I think both having something physical to remind the player and not having it be too limited are factors.

We've done something similar, except instead of hideous dice we used Koplow Games 55mm Jumbo d20 dice. If you had one, the DM handed you that big die, and you couldn't miss it and rolled that one when giving it back to the DM. I then played a bard PC with a theme of buffing others, so I handed out giant d6s for bardic inspiration, and even large d4s for Guidance and Bless (cleric multiclass).

G

Guest 6801328

We tend to ignore concentration for damage.

I have to admit that sometimes in my group we often forget to make the Con saves. But on a number of occasions (when we remember) it's added a lot of fun to encounters. I'm now in the camp of not just being ok with concentration for balance reasons, but actually liking it for its wildcard effect.

The #1 problem with concentration, imo, is that most people "save" it for something really important and then eventually forget they have it. It's "oh I've been carrying this potion of X around for 6 levels, waiting for the PERFECT moment to use it" syndrome. The simple fix is to allow concentration to be used for a re-roll (similar to the Luck feat) instead of for advantage. That way it gets used for the first mildly important roll that fails.

200orcs

First Post
If a player consistently asks the same question I have them write it down. Not in a patronizing way but in a let me help you out way.

For spells I have all the spells printed out, so they can reference what they need, but I dislike having to slow down the game because the player doesn't know the radius of a spell or whatever, so again I have them write it down.

I have been playing for so long that I have shorthand for everything note wise. So I can help with making tiny notes that have all the relevant information.

Magical items, especially ones that where not identified used to trip me up, so now I have them write down the page number of my DM notes, so G5-3 means game 5, page 3.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
I don't understand how something like passive perception, spell attack bonus, physical attack bonus, or spell save DC is a problem for anyone. Figure it out one time, then write it down, then all you have to remember is 'look at the sheet where there is a '14'. Recalculating a number that changes rarely every time you use it is just odd. It's like dealing with your strength stat by remembering that you picked a 14 when assigning stats, then got a +2 racial bonus from being a half-orc, then added two from an ASI instead of just writing down that it's an 18 and going from there.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I deliberately wrote my own character sheet in Word (no fancy art to distract) so I could put things like AC, Spell Save DC, Passive Perception in front of me in readable form.

I do have problems with Bonus Actions - especially my AL Monk/Rogue who does ALL his cool stuff via Bonus Actions. Can I trade in my Action for an extra Bonus Action? Wait, then neither can chain off the action...

One way I have thought of as DM to remind the Fighter of his Action Surge is to create an L5 Fighter NPC and use his Action Surge + Extra Attack on the party's Wizard or Sorcerer. The Fighter ought to get jealous and want to do THAT to Team Monster or BBEG. (The Cleric player will be less impressed, because I am making extra work for him to deal with. The Wizard / Sorcerer player will likely be mad at you, for good reason.)

Can I trade in my Action for an extra Bonus Action? Wait, then neither can chain off the action...

Not sure if you meant this as an actual question or just an example of the sort of confusion it can cause, but in case you were asking...

No, at least not by RAW. You cannot "trade down" an action for a bonus action.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Not sure if you meant this as an actual question or just an example of the sort of confusion it can cause, but in case you were asking...

No, at least not by RAW. You cannot "trade down" an action for a bonus action.
Question provided as example of confused thought during play.

P.S. If I take the "/Rogue" part of the character up to Arcane Trickster, this problem will get WORSE.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases