What could a scientist in my Star Wars RPG be researching or working on?

Zardnaar

Legend
Nanotechnology has appeared many times. Nano droids were in Clone Wars. Megastructures like Centerpoint Station, AI is sentient, the Dugs had a rail gun in Clone Wars and wormholes appeared in old Legends EU and in canon in the Han Solo mini-series. Trust me I’ve done my research.

Center point station isn't that big. I'm thinking ringworlds big or Dyson sphere big.

The nano droids are also different than say the replicators from SG Atlantis.

Droids also are not fully sentient as they are still bound by programming. Sentient might not be the best word 100% free willed is more what I mean. The occasional droids might be free willed but most of them seem to be assassin Droid types.

Maybe some type of bio Droid or droids that can't be programmed.

Maximum7

Explorer
Center point station isn't that big. I'm thinking ringworlds big or Dyson sphere big.

The nano droids are also different than say the replicators from SG Atlantis.

Droids also are not fully sentient as they are still bound by programming. Sentient might not be the best word 100% free willed is more what I mean. The occasional droids might be free willed but most of them seem to be assassin Droid types.

Maybe some type of bio Droid or droids that can't be programmed.

Dyson sphere appeared in one of the last SWTOR patches. Ringo Vinda is a ring world.

I must realize. I. Am. Doomed.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I must realize. I. Am. Doomed.
Oh, relax - you are trying all by yourself to out-think trillions of Galactic citizens (and several dozen IRL authors). The things "nobody has thought of before" would be innovations at the cutting edge of their high technology. Or an event like Steve Jobs being struck by the thunderbolt and conceiving iTunes / iPads.

Go back and look at your "I don't want" list, see what would be capable of a step-wise refinement, have your Scientist be an erratic genius who is close to a breakthrough on something.

Maximum7

Explorer
Yeah my I don’t want list is really what I don’t think will work in Star Wars. Or it’s already been done. Believe it or not teleportation exists in Star Wars Legends.

Zardnaar

Legend
Will your players recognise it though? Hell I'm a big fan of the old legends but still missed alot of comics and prequel stuff.
The teleportation thing is in the old Lando adventures?

It's hard coming up with anything original as it's somewhere in Star Wars even in a minor or unique way. Ringworlds, Dyson sphere, teleportation, cloaking devices, ICBMs, zombie plagues, nukes, biotechnology, sentient AI, human AI, etc they are all there somewhere.

Free willed bio organic droids was one thing I did come up with for an RPG game. Basically droids you can't program or ion bolts might not be to effective on.

Maximum7

Explorer
I was down to 3 ideas. A Guided recirprocating deflector shield from someone on abovetopsecret forums, Synthetic coaxium from FFG forums and The Dynamics of an Asteroid Field on Sjgames. I decided against the shield because it was too wordy and could be a game changer. The coaxium I felt ruined the rarity of hyperfuel and the asteroid belt analyzation was good but their are likely billions of asteroid fields in the galaxy. Who the hell cares about plotting one.

Zardnaar

Legend
How about a new ship? PCs get a hint of a new imperial super weapon. They find out where it is but rather than something Uber its something like a heavy cruiser with point defence or shield equipped TIE interceptor that's cheap to produce.

A Victory III star destroyer or a TIE that's not a TIE Defender but better than what the empire is using but logical and cheap.

Remove ads