A GMing telling the players about the gameworld is not like real life

To me that looks like a good challenge, since it suggests various solutions such as "Run away" and "Run away then come back with salt". I'm very much in favour of 'Run Away - Live to Another Day' as a food solution to many challenges. :) Another good solution for stuff like static traps and slow moving monsters is 'Go Around It'. I like these because they are not pixel-bitching tactics, they should be fairly apparent to and useable by almost anyone who'd paying attention.

I don't actually have an issue with 'this is unbeatable', in that case it isn't a monster, it is just some sort of obstacle you aren't prepared to beat. Of course most such obstacles don't kill you! Walls don't kill you, but you can't go through them (at least without special stuff).

So, what should be true then is that the leeches/salt thing should be automatically known to the PCs, just like the impermeability and durability of walls is. Once the players see that the PCs will need salt, then they can arrange for it, or maybe they did some sort of recon or intelligence gathering and learned about the leeches, and brought their salt.

And maybe you can cut leeches off too, if you REALLY don't mind losing HS all over the place, but maybe that's a choice you will consider if going for salt is a costly move. This is all the sorts of ways that a 'gotcha' monster can work well in a scenario. I think this is a lot of what Gygax was doing with things like Green Slime. Maybe the first time he laughed as some character dissolved into goo, but after that it was just a hazard that you might or might not happen to be equipped for RIGHT NOW, but you can always come back later.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No edition restricts the addition of background after play has started.

No edition allows it, either, which means that it is not allowed unless the DM allows it. Failure to preclude something does not equate with inclusion. Games only include what they explicitly say can or can't happen. All else is outside the rules and the DM has to allow it in for it to be included.

I agree that there are certain details about a character background that require collaboration between the player and DM. I just don't think that all needs to be done ahead of time. An idea introduced in play can be one the DM approves. Or he could deny it. I think that it all depends on the specifics.

I agree. But inclusion after play begins in my game needs to make sense with what is already know about the PC, and cannot be used to "cheat" the player's way through the current challenge.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If the only significance of befriending a hermit is that he might give my PC a fetch quest, that is about as far from MEAT as we can get while still having the hermit figure in play. And this isn't even about "advantage" - it's about what establishes the dramatic trajectory and focus of play.

You're being short sighted. The PCs will undoubtedly have other desires and obligations. Will the do what the hermit asks and abandon others that need them? How will they help him if they do decide to help? Will they refuse him? How will they refuse him? How does the hermit reaction to rejection(which can be handled numerous ways)? Will any of hundreds of other possibilities that I didn't mention here come to pass? There's plenty of drama to be had.

pemerton

Legend
It beats stipulating limited omniscience for PCs and NPCs, such that they know all the strengths and weaknesses about all monsters.
If I can have an uncle that knows about monsters that I have knowledge of, I can have an uncle that knows about monsters that I as a player do not have knowledge of and that he has told my PC about. If trying to metagame knowledge in signals to the DM that the players don't want to pretend not to know a weakness, then having an uncle tell you about the new monster signals the DM that the players do not want to lack knowledge of monster weaknesses.
It makes no sense for a group to want to use player knowledge about trolls out of a desire not to have to feign ignorance, but but okay with feigning ignorance about vampires and golems.
Your claim - which I have just quoted - was that if a player uses the uncle device to underpin an imputation to his/her PC of his/her knowledge about trolls, then that player will also want to use the same device to have the GM inform him/her about new, hitherto unknown weaknesses.

But that claim was, and is, unfounded. ecause If a player don't actually know, then when playing an ignorant PC who tries to guess the weakness, s/he is not feiging ignorance.

inclusion after play begins in my game needs to make sense with what is already know about the PC, and cannot be used to "cheat" the player's way through the current challenge.
In 4e, at least, t's not cheating to know that trolls need fire to kill them even if the topic has never come up before in the campaign. And it's not cheating to impute that knowledge to one's PC.

Or to put it another way: there is no rule in 4e that says In a given campaign, the first time trolls are encounteed players who know their weakness are obliged nevertheless to pretend that their PCs are ignorant of the weakness, until something happens to confer that knowledge in the course of play. Nor is there any rule that even hints at this.

hawkeyefan said:
No edition restricts the addition of background after play has started.
No edition allows it, either, which means that it is not allowed unless the DM allows it.
From the 4e PHB, p 18:

Roleplaying
The Dungeons & Dragons game is, first and foremost, a roleplaying game, which means that it's all about taking on the role of a character in the game. Some people take to this payacting naturally and easily; others find it more of a challenge. This section is here to help you out, whether you're comfortable and familiar with roleplaying or you're new to the concept.

Your character is more than a combination of race, class, and feats. He or she is also one of the protagonists in a living, evolving story line. Like th hero of any fantasy novel or film, he or she has ambitions and fears, likes and dislikes, otivations and mannerisms, moments of glory and of failure. The best D&D characters belnd the ongoing story of their adventuring career with memorable characterisitcs or traits. . . . A well-crafted character personality expands your experience o the game dramatically.​

What follows this is a series of headings, which suggest various ways of developing the non-mechanical aspects of one's PC: Alignment, Deities, Personality, Mannerisms, Appearance and Background. Nothing suggests that all these things must be specified in advance of play - and the general tenor of the introductory text, as just quoted by me, is that someone might do this as they go along to enrich their RPG experience.

Then there is this, at p 258, under the heading Quests:

Sometimes a quest is spelled out for you at the start of an adventure . . . You can also, with your DM's approval, create a quest for your character. Such a quest can tie into your character's background. For instance, perhaps your mother is the person whose remains lie in the Fortress of the Iron Ring. . . . Individual quests give you a stake in a campaign's unfolding story and give your DM ingredients to help develop that story.​

Complementing that text from the PHB is this from the DMG (p 103):

Player-Designed Quests
You should allow and even encourage payers to come up with their own quests that are tied to their invididual goals or specific circumstances in the adventure. . . . Rember to say yes as often as possible!​

Nothing in what I've quoted is unrepresentative of 4e; it is typical of it. 4e does not encourage the gating of player contributions to the fiction - in the form of backgrounds and backstory, PC goals, etc - behind GM veto and tight GM control. Quite the opposite.

If a 4e player knows about trolls, and imputes that knowledge to his/her PC, that is not breaking any rule of the game. If the player comes up with some bit of backstory to give colour to that imputation of knowledge, that is not breaking any rule either. 4e simply doesn't work in the way that you are describing.

It's indeed bizarre that this even needs arguing - it's not like people who didn't/don't like 4e were jumping at shadows. There are actual features of the game that make it different from (say) typical approaches to 3E/PF, and its orientation towards player contributions to the shared fiction - which has obvious implications also for the GM's role in that respect - is just one of them.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
pemerton said:
If the only significance of befriending a hermit is that he might give my PC a fetch quest, that is about as far from MEAT as we can get while still having the hermit figure in play. And this isn't even about "advantage" - it's about what establishes the dramatic trajectory and focus of play.
You're being short sighted. The PCs will undoubtedly have other desires and obligations. Will the do what the hermit asks and abandon others that need them? How will they help him if they do decide to help? Will they refuse him? How will they refuse him? How does the hermit reaction to rejection(which can be handled numerous ways)? Will any of hundreds of other possibilities that I didn't mention here come to pass? There's plenty of drama to be had.
I'm not being shortsighted. I'm saying that being offered a quest from my hermit to kill some orcs is not very dramatic or character-driven roleplaying (ie it lacks MEAT).

This comes through in the questions you pose (as opposed to the "hundreds of other" that you leave as an exercise for the reader):

Will the do what the hermit asks and abandon others that need them? How will they help him if they do decide to help? Will they refuse him? How will they refuse him? How does the hermit react to rejection?​

The only stakes that you identify are abandoning others and upsestting the hermit.

Let's take a well-known example and contrast:

Luke Skywalker has to choose between abandoning his family who are dependent upon him to help them with their farm and upsetting the hermit who knew his father and can mentor him into a wider world;

Later on, he has to choose between abandoning the hermit to his fate, as the hermit directs him to and helping the hermit who will otherwise surely die, even though the hermit doesn't want this help;

Later on again, he has to choose between abandoning his friends and upsetting the hermits who have placed their hope in him as the last of their order.​

Those aren't the only choices that Luke has to make, but are the main hermit-related ones. And in each case there are elements of the situation (which I've helpfully underlined) that make the stakes more than simply do I help A or do I help B, given that I can't do both.

It's quite possible to have a RPG give rise to choices for players that are laden with stakes in that sort of way. In my experience, however, it's almost impossible to achieve them in a game in which everything that comes into the fiction, and every player decision about his/her PC, is gate-kept by the GM in the way that you advocate for. And nothing that I've read about others' experiences, nor any more abstract or theoretical reflection on the art and techniques of RPGing, has led me to doubt that my experiences are a good guide here.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Your claim - which I have just quoted - was that if a player uses the uncle device to underpin an imputation to his/her PC of his/her knowledge about trolls, then that player will also want to use the same device to have the GM inform him/her about new, hitherto unknown weaknesses.

But that claim was, and is, unfounded. ecause If a player don't actually know, then when playing an ignorant PC who tries to guess the weakness, s/he is not feiging ignorance.

The claim, since I made it, was that signaling the players' desires = signaling the players' desires. Whether that signal is not wanting to guess weaknesses that the players know about, or not wanting to have to guess at monster weaknesses, the players are showing the DM what they want.

That means that if the DM not allowing the players to just know about trolls is a jerk for not going with what the players are signaling that they want, then so is the DM for not just handing just telling the players the weaknesses of unknown monsters/

In 4e, at least, t's not cheating to know that trolls need fire to kill them even if the topic has never come up before in the campaign. And it's not cheating to impute that knowledge to one's PC.

It's not allowed by RAW. The DM has to allow it to happen.

Or to put it another way: there is no rule in 4e that says In a given campaign, the first time trolls are encounteed players who know their weakness are obliged nevertheless to pretend that their PCs are ignorant of the weakness, until something happens to confer that knowledge in the course of play. Nor is there any rule that even hints at this.

Metagaming like the above is treating the game as a game. DMs are instructed not to discourage that sort of thing.

Roleplaying
The Dungeons & Dragons game is, first and foremost, a roleplaying game, which means that it's all about taking on the role of a character in the game. Some people take to this payacting naturally and easily; others find it more of a challenge. This section is here to help you out, whether you're comfortable and familiar with roleplaying or you're new to the concept.

Nothing there allows players to use metagame knowledge.

Your character is more than a combination of race, class, and feats. He or she is also one of the protagonists in a living, evolving story line. Like th hero of any fantasy novel or film, he or she has ambitions and fears, likes and dislikes, otivations and mannerisms, moments of glory and of failure. The best D&D characters belnd the ongoing story of their adventuring career with memorable characterisitcs or traits. . . . A well-crafted character personality expands your experience o the game dramatically.

Nothing there, either.

What follows this is a series of headings, which suggest various ways of developing the non-mechanical aspects of one's PC: Alignment, Deities, Personality, Mannerisms, Appearance and Background. Nothing suggests that all these things must be specified in advance of play - and the general tenor of the introductory text, as just quoted by me, is that someone might do this as they go along to enrich their RPG experience.

That's because you are looking in the wrong place. Backgrounds are specifically a part of character creation in the PHB. Character creation happens BEFORE the campaign begins, not after.

Sometimes a quest is spelled out for you at the start of an adventure . . . You can also, with your DM's approval, create a quest for your character. Such a quest can tie into your character's background. For instance, perhaps your mother is the person whose remains lie in the Fortress of the Iron Ring. . . . Individual quests give you a stake in a campaign's unfolding story and give your DM ingredients to help develop that story.

This has nothing to do with background, unless you are going to the background RAW had you make prior to the campaign beginning as the inspiration. Nothing there allows you to create background during game play. If you want to add in background creation during game play, you need to talk your DM into allowing it.

Nothing in what I've quoted is unrepresentative of 4e; it is typical of it. 4e does not encourage the gating of player contributions to the fiction - in the form of backgrounds and backstory, PC goals, etc - behind GM veto and tight GM control. Quite the opposite.

Nothing in what you quote allows players to create new background information after the campaign begins, either.

f a 4e player knows about trolls, and imputes that knowledge to his/her PC, that is not breaking any rule of the game.

It's breaking the instruction to the DM to discourage metagame thinking, but I suppose if you don't view that as a rule it's not breaking a rule. However, it's not following any rule of the game, either. Since there is no rule that allows it, it is not allowed unless the DM decides that it is.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm not being shortsighted. I'm saying that being offered a quest from my hermit to kill some orcs is not very dramatic or character-driven roleplaying (ie it lacks MEAT).
And you are wrong, since it adds drama in one or more of the manners that I stated. If you don't like it, it doesn't cease to be meat. @pemerton is not the one true god of MEAT who knows the one true way to serve it.

This comes through in the questions you pose (as opposed to the "hundreds of other" that you leave as an exercise for the reader):

It's neither my job, nor necessary to spell out all the ways it can happen. I provided more than enough examples.

Let's take a well-known example and contrast:
Luke Skywalker has to choose between abandoning his family who are dependent upon him to help them with their farm and upsetting the hermit who knew his father and can mentor him into a wider world;

Later on, he has to choose between abandoning the hermit to his fate, as the hermit directs him to and helping the hermit who will otherwise surely die, even though the hermit doesn't want this help;

Later on again, he has to choose between abandoning his friends and upsetting the hermits who have placed their hope in him as the last of their order.​

Those aren't the only choices that Luke has to make, but are the main hermit-related ones. And in each case there are elements of the situation (which I've helpfully underlined) that make the stakes more than simply do I help A or do I help B, given that I can't do both.

You don't get to use all of those. I provided only one example and did not indicate that it was exhaustive of how the hermit might interact with the PC and the rest of the group. I gave one example, so you can use one example like this one, "Luke Skywalker has to choose between abandoning his family who are dependent upon him to help them with their farm and upsetting the hermit who knew his father and can mentor him into a wider world." which is virtually identical to the one I provided.

It's quite possible to have a RPG give rise to choices for players that are laden with stakes in that sort of way. In my experience, however, it's almost impossible to achieve them in a game in which everything that comes into the fiction, and every player decision about his/her PC, is gate-kept by the GM in the way that you advocate for.

My experience is very different. Perhaps I just have a more open mind about my playstyle.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Some further thoughts on this example: what do the mechanics of the system say? For instance, if my PC is a noble, what are the rules for attracting and/or commanding an entourage?

[MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION]'s presentation of the example rests on some assumptions about the answers to those questions. But those aren't the only assumptions that are possible.

For instance, in Cortex+ Heroic, an entourage would normally be either a resource or an asset (similar mechanical devices, but established via different mechanical processes). Neither can just be brougjht into being by way of player stipulation.

In some versions of D&D there are Loyalty mechanics. If the PC has been absent from home for a long period, in those rules that would probably affect the loyalty of the entourage, and hence the likelihood of them willingly turning up upon the PCs' arrival.

Etc.

The bigger point is that most RPGs have ways of establishing fiction other than simply fiat narration (whether by GM or player). Posts that proceed on the assumption that the only alternative to player fiat is GM fiat; or that if GM fiat is abandoned, then player fiat will take it's place; seem to wilfully disregard this fact. (Which is a point I've been making, on-and-off, basically since the start of this thread.)
The bigger headache, no matter what the rules are, is if you're declaring you're a noble now that means you've in fact been a noble all along; which in turn means the question of your entourage (what it consists of, its general level of loyalty, its capabilities, and [most important to play!] whether any of it would have come with you into the field) should have been dealt with before you first entered play.

AbdulAlhazred said:
Dying just has no real appeal. I mean, if I died because some fact was so obscure nobody in the party could figure out that the dragon had a peanut allergy, then really, killing all the characters was a positive thing? It was suspenseful? I just can't see it. I have DMed 1000's of games and really almost never seen something like that come back as "wow! Good game!".
One of my long-time players, whose RPG career has been about 99.9% as a player and about .1% as a DM, came up with a quote many years ago during a table discussion on game lethality: "Dungeons without mortality are dungeons without life".

The fear of death has to be there.

As for the dragon, was it beatable without the use of peanuts? If no, did the PCs/players even consider running away or bargaining with it or (gasp!) surrendering to it?

Maxperson said:
Metagaming like the above is treating the game as a game. DMs are instructed not to discourage that sort of thing.
Max, I think you got this one backwards: DMs are in fact instructed not to encourage that sort of thing.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The bigger headache, no matter what the rules are, is if you're declaring you're a noble now that means you've in fact been a noble all along; which in turn means the question of your entourage (what it consists of, its general level of loyalty, its capabilities, and [most important to play!] whether any of it would have come with you into the field) should have been dealt with before you first entered play.

It's an even bigger issue if you're like me and have nobility actually mean nobility, and not just as some empty title and a PC who wears nice clothes, and is stuck up. If a player is nobility in my game, they have access to tremendous resources and influence compared to other social classes. That sort of advantage is not something that I will just let a player pick at the drop of a hat.

Remove ads