Ranged Options for All Classes

So, even though there's zero guarantee whatsoever that the rest of the party will have any specific solution available, you're still confident that they'll collectively be able to work something out?

If the players are too dumb to think of a solution, they fail. That is what makes it a GAME.

Oofta

Legend
If the players are too dumb to think of a solution, they fail. That is what makes it a GAME.

Which would be fine. If there were options. Sometimes there is not.

Everyone keeps yelling "teamwork for the win!" but what if the wizard (if there even is one) doesn't have jump or spiderclimb or fly? Because of those 3, I've only ever seen anyone take fly, and fly is the only one that would work against flying creatures. In addition, fly is concentration so it's only 1 person. Too bad if you have more than one melee type in the group.

Maybe I just want people to be honest. If you have strength based melee types they're going to suck in certain encounters unless the DM changes the scenario. Never throw any intelligent opponent that strength based characters can approach.

I think that's a problem, and limits logical scenarios based on the campaign. Or just tell the OP that, no there are no ranged options for all classes (which really should be no ranged options unless you have a decent dex) and just tell Bob to go read a book while the rest of the party does the combat.

Oofta

Legend
Uh... what?

"When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 3rd."

Assuming someone has fly prepared and a 4th level or higher spell slot available and only have two melee types and you don't already have a concentration spell up and don't want to ready a spell and the bad guys don't just focus fire on the concentrating spell faster sure.

I've had plenty of parties that didn't have spells that would help. Not to mention you seem to be assuming a fairly high level party for what people actually play.

It's just

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Assuming someone has fly prepared and a 4th level or higher spell slot available and only have two melee types and you don't already have a concentration spell up and don't want to ready a spell and the bad guys don't just focus fire on the concentrating spell faster sure.

I've had plenty of parties that didn't have spells that would help. Not to mention you seem to be assuming a fairly high level party for what people actually play.

It's just
7-9 is "fairly high"?

jgsugden

Legend
Tell me again what the issue is with using javelins?
They're racist.

Or nothing. Except they don't tend to deal 30 damage which makes people think the 10 damage they deal is pointless at medium/high levels. Never mind that a fighter throwing two d6+5 Javelins is dealing about as much damage as a wizard with a cantrip.

Call it a pet peeve but I hate having to nerf the bad guy so the PCs have a chance. Especially when there are simple options to make minor tweaks to the rules so everyone can participate.
It should peeve you. So don't do it.

Sure, a wandering dragon who fights intelligently is going to suck for the party. But a party that is hunting a dragon better have made appropriate plans for it. A dragon should be a dangerous foe, and an unprepared party is going to have problems. Or they better have problems!

Tell me again what the issue is with using javelins?

Apparently some people actually use the "you can only draw one weapon a turn" rule in real, live play with thrown weapons. Who knew? Also, nobody is going to carry 20 of them (40 lbs, which appears reasonable). I would guess that people are also ignoring tracking ammunition? We sure do.

I've never played a class that's really dumped Dexterity, however. I've had characters that carry a handful of thrown weapons (usually an assortment of 5). That covers a surprisingly portion of combats. If I need something more than that, I'll use a hand crossbow (because they're small and one-handed, and we let them be reloaded one-handed) or short bow that my melee characters generally have as a backup, though I usually have to take an action to string the bow. Sure, I might only have 12 or 14 Dex so I won't be that great, but it's better than nothing and it still almost never comes up.

Remove ads