Campaign Notes Software Suggestions

rounser

First Post
Can anyone suggest some good ones? Generic, non-system specific and preferably free I mean. I used to use something called MyInfo back in the day, but I'm not sure if it would work with Windows 10, nor if it's free. If it's worth paying for something brilliant I may be tempted. And hopefully it is compatible with fonts.

Thanks in advance.

jlong64

Villager
One note by Microsoft. A lot of people use it to manage their campaigns. There are several YouTube videos on it. And it is free.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
What is it exactly that you need it to do?

A place to write up game logs? [I use Word for this, then put the logs on our website]
A character and-or treasury database? [Excel]
Price and equipment lists? [Excel for DM-side, website for player-side]
Design and-or draw maps? [---, I still use pen and paper for this]
Random tables and charts? [Excel again]
Xp calculator? [---, I suppose one could use Excel for this but it might not be worth the set-up time required]

There's freeware versions of Word-like and Excel-like programs out there, though they may or may not produce files that are compatible with the real thing.

I use Evernote, but it’s not usefully free. It is, however, a great tool. All my notes organized and stored in the cloud so I can access them all from any of my devices.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
OneNote is a great tool, free but not. You can find older versions for sale on the net. Recommend 2010 or 2013 version.

Then there are there tools like Realm Works, still not free but useful.

I was looking for something a few years ago. I eventually decided to go with Realm Works because I wanted a wiki-like capability, and now I really like it. It takes some time investment to get going, but all of the auto-content linking and structure (more bells and whistles than any one user will ever use) actually does help with campaign management quite a bit. There are videos to watch to see if you're interested.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
By far the best I’ve found is The Brain (https://www.thebrain.com), a mind mapping software. Unfortunately the paid version is pricy, but I’ve found it’s worth it.

There are other mind mapping products out there, but they lack a key feature of the Brain and what, in my opinion, actually makes it a true mind mapping product.

You can create infinite links between all “thoughts.”

Here’s an example of how powerful it can be. Say you make a thought of a character - Bilbo Baggins. He is linked to the thought for Burglar, where you have the rules for the class. He’s also linked to the Fellowship of the Ring, the members of the Fellowship, Hobbiton, the Baggins family, the Ring, through the ring you get to Gollum, etc.

All of these links show up visually when you click on Bilbo, which becomes the center focus. If you click on Fellowship of the Ring, it becomes the focus, and you see all of the links from that.

You can search, of course, create color coded categories, and there are several types of links that describe their relationship (and you can create labeled types as well)

It totally blows a Wiki, OneNote, EverNote, or any RPG tool out of the water. Seriously, nothing comes close, and I’ve been looking.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Can you share the info...or is it local?

There are sharing functions, but I haven’t used them. There’s local and web-based, the local is the most robust.

It’s really designed as a business tool, so there’s a lot there, but it unfortunately means the pricing isn’t great.

Remove ads