The Alliance of American Football

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Star power is a significant part of it. The USFL succeeded (briefly) by outbidding the NFL for top talent, both on the field and coaching staffs. But even so, they didn’t have enough star power to bring in the revenue to support the salaries. They managed to successfully sue the NFL on antitrust grounds...and were awarded $1. *poof*

The XFL tried to compete by having relatively relaxed rules on showboating, etc. but it wasn’t enough.

WLAF/NFL Europe actually did a good job of evangelizing the game to Europeans, and there were some genuine talents in the league. But once the NFL had a built-up audience and capitalized on it with actual NFL games- some in Central America, too- NFL Europe was doomed.

Then Arena ball, Lingerie Football League/Legends League and others have all carved out niches, but they never got breakthrough success. Even the CFL’s expansion into the USA failed.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Holy Mother of Kal-El. I would not have expected that first story you posted but glad for the second one. Of what I got to see it was good football. Some of them deserve another chance. All of them deserve better treatment. If it comes back I'll watch it. Not for the ones in charge but for the players and other employees.

Remove ads