[WOIN] Skill descriptions

[WOIN] Skill descriptions

Is there a glossary of skills out there? I mean, what is meant (or covered) by the skills as listed in the book. Example: What does Engineering cover? I've seen it mentioned as: Disabling a trap; Repairing a musket; Fixing a car; Modifying a device; Repairing an engine; Electrical Engineering; and Mechanical Engineering... and probably even Civil Engineering!

I guess it's fairly self-evident for most of the skills, but some are a bit obscure. Example, my group asked me what Reactions was? I know if impacts Initiative, but what is it? How about Resistance? Or Concentration?

Also, some skills - like Engineering - are very broad in their scope but others - like Acrobatics - are narrow.

A "Drizzit" Type-Thing (Lvl 28)

It's keyword-based. The GM decides whether a skill applies to any given situation. I tend to treat engineering, electronics, robotics, and computers as separate subjects, for example.

So they don't have definitions; or rather, they do, but that definition is simply the common usage of the word. If a player takes concentration, it's up to them to decide when to use it and the GM to agree.

Some - like concentration - are listed as defensive skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    It's keyword-based. The GM decides whether a skill applies to any given situation. I tend to treat engineering, electronics, robotics, and computers as separate subjects, for example.
    Okay, I understand (and like) that, but some of the "keywords" are a little... slippery / fluffy. I get engineering, electronics, robotics as these are clear and understandable, but (per my post), Reactions and Resistance are not. I don't want to make this too rigid - as this is one of the system's strengths IMHO - but some of these skills need a little write-up / description / example of play for players (and GMs) to use as a basis for play. I think this is especially true for gamers that are coming from more 'rigid' systems (like D&D, Traveller, Star Wars, etc.) that have these things clearly defined.

A "Drizzit" Type-Thing (Lvl 28)

Those particular two are mainly used for derived stats. Reactions for initiative, resistance for VITAL DEFENSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    Those particular two are mainly used for derived stats. Reactions for initiative, resistance for VITAL DEFENSE.
    Yep - got those included in my Excel worksheet... So I guess this is also the case for: Foresight (M&RD), Meditiation - Bravery - Discipline - Conviction (MentalD), Fortitude - Resistance (VitalD), and Hardy (Health). In other words (and a little broad-brush, I know), these are "skills" that drive Derived Stats rather than game play?

Quick Reply Quick Reply