Recommend Star Trek for Non Trekkies.

Zardnaar

Legend
Can barely remember the old Who. I remember 4 or 5 of the doctors, all of the 80s ones plus Pertwee and Baker. Images bits and pieces giant maggots but no plot as such. May not even screened in order here.

GreyLord

Legend
What Trekkies/Trekkers see as good and what others enjoy tend to be two different things.

I would suggest that a non-trekkie who enjoyed Discovery would also enjoy

Star Trek (2009) - This is the film that came out recently, with JJ Abrahms at the Helm
Star Trek - Into Darkness
Star Trek - Beyond

I'd also say you may enjoy

Star Trek - Nemesis

After that it gets very hit and miss. One would have to get to some very specific episodes in TV series that might appeal to the Non-Trekkie, while a great majority would NOT appeal to them, unless they were a trekkie at heart who did not know it (in which case I would have expected one to love II, III, and VI at least).

Not quite trek but that you might enjoy would be a comedy called Galaxy Quest.

If you find you enjoy Galaxy Quest you may also enjoy another Not-Trek but Trek called The Orville.

Zardnaar

Legend
What Trekkies/Trekkers see as good and what others enjoy tend to be two different things.

I would suggest that a non-trekkie who enjoyed Discovery would also enjoy

Star Trek (2009) - This is the film that came out recently, with JJ Abrahms at the Helm
Star Trek - Into Darkness
Star Trek - Beyond

I'd also say you may enjoy

Star Trek - Nemesis

After that it gets very hit and miss. One would have to get to some very specific episodes in TV series that might appeal to the Non-Trekkie, while a great majority would NOT appeal to them, unless they were a trekkie at heart who did not know it (in which case I would have expected one to love II, III, and VI at least).

Not quite trek but that you might enjoy would be a comedy called Galaxy Quest.

If you find you enjoy Galaxy Quest you may also enjoy another Not-Trek but Trek called The Orville.

Already watching Orville. That and The Expanse are our favorite sci fi.

I was very young when I saw Star Trek II and III. First Contact I enjoyed. Was Nemesis the one with the evil Picard clone? I have seen JJ Abrams first Trek, kinda liked it but not enough to rush out for the next ones.

Trek is mostly disjointed for me spread over 30 years with childhood memories, early TNG/DS9 episodes vaguely remembered.

GreyLord

Legend
Already watching Orville. That and The Expanse are our favorite sci fi.

I was very young when I saw Star Trek II and III. First Contact I enjoyed. Was Nemesis the one with the evil Picard clone? I have seen JJ Abrams first Trek, kinda liked it but not enough to rush out for the next ones.

Trek is mostly disjointed for me spread over 30 years with childhood memories, early TNG/DS9 episodes vaguely remembered.

Yeah, Nemesis is the one with the Picard Clone. Many Trekkies hated it, however I thought it was probably better than half the Trek out there.

Another one that has nothing to do with Trek, but I got into it at the same time I got into the Expanse was Killjoys. Not as good, not the same feel, but still fun.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, Nemesis is the one with the Picard Clone. Many Trekkies hated it, however I thought it was probably better than half the Trek out there.

Another one that has nothing to do with Trek, but I got into it at the same time I got into the Expanse was Killjoys. Not as good, not the same feel, but still fun.

Couldn't get into Killjoys. Watched a few but preferred the show with the amnesiacs that got cancelled. One of the characters was in Continuim. Dark Matter was it's name?

Last edited:

cmad1977

Hero
Couldn't get into Killjoys. Watched a few but preferred the show with the amnesiacs that got cancelled. One of the characters was in Continuim. Dark Matter was it's name?

I liked Killjoys. The relationship between the lead and her co-star is great.
Dark Matter I found dull and derivative.

But this is a trek thread and I like Discovery so...

Where was I?

GreyLord

Legend

Yes, Dark Matter. I couldn't really get into it, but glad someone liked it. I believe they have at least 3 seasons of Dark Matter. I think it was made by the same guys who made the Star Gate TV series.

Remove ads