Recommend Star Trek for Non Trekkies.

For someone who doesn't plan on watching all of Star Trek, I would recommend watching movies. Specifically: 2, 4, 6, First Contact, and Star Trek (2009). That's probably the fastest crash course.

Yeah, Nemesis is the one with the Picard Clone. Many Trekkies hated it, however I thought it was probably better than half the Trek out there.

You are the first person I've encountered that liked it. Can you explain why you thought it was good?

IMNSHO, one of the problems with TNG movies is that they sometimes went pretty off the rails from the TV series. For example, 2 and 4 were pretty much pulled straight from TOS episodes, and followed the same basic formulas (you can call them unoriginal, but they were at least well executed). OTOH, Insurrection and Nemesis were also straight pulls from TNG episodes ("Journey's End" and "Tapestry")... but the crew does the exact opposite in the movies from what they did in the series. Kirk seemed to get a bit wiser as he got older. Picard turned more violent.

MarkB

Legend
You are the first person I've encountered that liked it. Can you explain why you thought it was good?

I also enjoyed Star Trek Nemesis. It had its flaws, but I liked the dynamic of the contrast between Picard and his clone, and the battle in the nebula was very well done - a cloaked ship combat done right.

I found the starship battle in Undiscovered Country very disappointing in that regard - it mostly consisted of Kirk moving the ship very gently around while letting it get pounded by photon torpedoes, until Spock suddenly pulled a Treknobabble solution out of his ass.

The Nemesis battle is much better - all participants using every weapon at their disposal, actual tactics being employed on both sides, and while a Treknobabble solution is deployed towards the end, it's one that arises from the plot, turning an enemy's capabilities against them.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yes, Dark Matter. I couldn't really get into it, but glad someone liked it. I believe they have at least 3 seasons of Dark Matter. I think it was made by the same guys who made the Star Gate TV series.

We do tend to like the Canadian sci fi which basically translates as anything with Amanda Tapping or Brad Cooper involved. Alot if the actors involved have bounced around the Stargates,Trek, Santuary, Dark Matter, Killjoys, Continuum.

I liked early Continuum and Orphan Black. My wife pays attention to foreign websites more so she is the one who tends to recommend watches like The Orville.

I'm a bit more familiar with older sci fi and Star Wars. Recommendations got us into Babylon 5 and Farscape. Our favorites are probably B5, Stargate Atlantis/SGI and Farscape.

We're running low on good sci fi hence Trek. Wife is fairly unfamiliar with it only knowing some of the major characters, I know bit more but my sister and her ex were trekkies in the 90s.
And we have the recognise the actor game. Colm Meant for example was in DS9, SG Atlantis and He'll on Wheels. The Mike actor from Breaking Bad was in last night's DS9.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases