Star Wars What I Would Have Done

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
3 or 4 year gap with Luke. And you seen see the differences between Luke and Rey onscreen. Rey's good at everything and she is way ahead of Luke with 0 training. Have a look at ESB for example and Luke struggling to pull his lightsaber out of the ice or Levitate rocks. Rey snaps a lightsaber and is doing Yoda levels of levitation at the end of TLJ and he is a Jedi Master.

That is the difference. Rey is ahead of Luke right in TFA, his used very few force powers even as late as RoTJ where he uses mind trick. Rey uses that in TFA just because.

Movie 1 vs movie 3.

Daniel Craig was a cameo, IIRC he was a stormtrooper and it was an easter egg. The Game of Thrones comparison was more to point out you can make an interesting powerful female character without a heap of plot holes or booking her like superman and essentially throwing away established tropes from the 1st 6 movies+ The Clone Wars.

There is so much BS in all of this. I just watched TFA again and Rey is not good at everything. She’s action-movie competent, like every other protagonist in an action movie and not a bit more than Luke and a hell of a lot less than Anakin in Phantom Menace.
She gets clobbered by Kylo Ren twice and fights him to a draw AFTER he’s already been badly wounded by Chewie and further wounded by Finn.
Tropes are not thrown away, even in TLJ. They’re subverted and that means they’re definitely addressed.

Zardnaar

Legend
There is so much BS in all of this. I just watched TFA again and Rey is not good at everything. She’s action-movie competent, like every other protagonist in an action movie and not a bit more than Luke and a hell of a lot less than Anakin in Phantom Menace.
She gets clobbered by Kylo Ren twice and fights him to a draw AFTER he’s already been badly wounded by Chewie and further wounded by Finn.
Tropes are not thrown away, even in TLJ. They’re subverted and that means they’re definitely addressed.

Subverted badly. TFA is overall a good movie I rewartched it recently as well.

It did kind of make TLJ that much worse though. JJ Abrams put so many good plot hooks to follow up on and they basically threw them away. There's not a lot to build on now. Kylo has gone back and forth to often and loses, Finn went backwards, Poe's an a hole, and it's like Rian didn't even watch TFA.

Will people care enough now the 3 legacy characters are dead Well Carrie IRL). They can force ghost in Luke and use recycled TFA footage for Carrie.

I'll put it another way. In 20 years time will these $2 and $3 clear out action figures gonna be worth much like Fett in the late 90's. How much is a 20 year old Jar Jar figure worth these days.

My main point is Rey, Phasma and Kylo could all have been really great characters comparable to the originals. Phasma got used as comic relief in TFA, Kylo eh Sith wannabe he can polish Vader's boots and there's not a lot of emotion to tie back to Rey despite Daisy being very good at expressing it. There's no real connection bbetween her and Kylo or the OT.

Last edited:

billd91

It did kind of make TLJ that much worse though. JJ Abrams put so many good plot hooks to follow up on and they basically threw them away. There's not a lot to build on now. Kylo has gone back and forth to often and loses, Finn went backwards, Poe's an a hole, and it's like Rian didn't even watch TFA.

So... it’s like ESB. Luke is missing a hand, Han is frozen, and the Republic is on the run. Honestly, the double-standard.

Zardnaar

Legend
So... it’s like ESB. Luke is missing a hand, Han is frozen, and the Republic is on the run. Honestly, the double-standard.

You had Vader still being an effective villain the I am your father reveal and the rebels had a fleet. And the Emperor was also revealed and the Empire had the SSD. And Fett wasn't comic relief. Compelling villains work.

Rey you're a nobody, entire resistance on the falcon and a weak villain. Sure they can probably pull a fleet out of their butt or have Rey force throw a Star Destroyer but there the closing scene of Empire was great.

Zardnaar

Legend
Personally, why can't we give Episode VIII the same treatment as what befell The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)?

Then JJ (and we the fans) can get the proper sequel to TFA.

It wasn't that bad.

I'll put it another way. I would bet dollars to donuts that in 10 or 20 years time no one is going to care about these characters while we will still be able to buy a worlds best dad Vader T-shirt. They will all be about a relevant as a Hayden Christian Anakin portrayal. And it could have been different. Even if you don't agree with my opinion about TLJ, does anyone here think I am wrong about this?

billd91

Personally, why can't we give Episode VIII the same treatment as what befell The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)?

Then JJ (and we the fans) can get the proper sequel to TFA.

You got a proper sequel. That you didn’t like it doesn’t make it an improper sequel.

GreyLord

Legend

Will people care enough now the 3 legacy characters are dead Well Carrie IRL). They can force ghost in Luke and use recycled TFA footage for Carrie.

I'll put it another way. In 20 years time will these $2 and $3 clear out action figures gonna be worth much like Fett in the late 90's. How much is a 20 year old Jar Jar figure worth these days.

My main point is Rey, Phasma and Kylo could all have been really great characters comparable to the originals. Phasma got used as comic relief in TFA, Kylo eh Sith wannabe he can polish Vader's boots and there's not a lot of emotion to tie back to Rey despite Daisy being very good at expressing it. There's no real connection bbetween her and Kylo or the OT.

I do not know how much the action figures will be worth in a few decades.

I have complimentary figures of most, and I'm keeping the Rey and Rose and Jyn figures as the highest bets considering some of the lesser bought figures of the early Star Wars figure days went up pretty nicely in value. A Princess Leia still in packaging and in mint can get several hundred dollars.

Rey or Rose may not be worth that much seeing how the toy lines are doing (and drives my perception that the overall attitude is basically not hate, nor love, but MEH from the general audiences today) but I wouldn't be surprised for them to get over 60-70 for a figure (though, unironically I'll probably be DEAD by that time) in 30-40 years.

I'd imagine that there will be some nostalgia (always is, even for movies that completely stink, or for figures that no one really thought would be worth squat, but several decades later are worth something today).

That doesn't help the Toy Companies bottom line today...but it's crazy how many toys become collectibles 30 years later.

Zardnaar

Legend
I do not know how much the action figures will be worth in a few decades.

I have complimentary figures of most, and I'm keeping the Rey and Rose and Jyn figures as the highest bets considering some of the lesser bought figures of the early Star Wars figure days went up pretty nicely in value. A Princess Leia still in packaging and in mint can get several hundred dollars.

Rey or Rose may not be worth that much seeing how the toy lines are doing (and drives my perception that the overall attitude is basically not hate, nor love, but MEH from the general audiences today) but I wouldn't be surprised for them to get over 60-70 for a figure (though, unironically I'll probably be DEAD by that time) in 30-40 years.

I'd imagine that there will be some nostalgia (always is, even for movies that completely stink, or for figures that no one really thought would be worth squat, but several decades later are worth something today).

That doesn't help the Toy Companies bottom line today...but it's crazy how many toys become collectibles 30 years later.

Maybe got an old school Fett floating around anywhere?

Phasma, Rey and Kylo had potential. Rey has no character flaws and is a paragon of virtue and she seems to be immune to dark side temptation, even Luke was brash and impulsive and lost his temper. Phasma comic relief and Kylo Darth Crybaby (lite). Can't recall much like htis in the new trilogy.

[video=youtube;07DiRUvD2Hk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07DiRUvD2Hk[/video]
World building.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases