Star Wars What I Would Have Done

Getting back to the original question… Star Wars, what would I have done differently?

Well, for starters, in Episode VII, I would have done a little worldbuilding. Specifically how large the First Order is, how large the Republic is, the fact the Resistance is really that tiny, etc.
Also, I probably would have avoided a big spherical planet destroying weapon that can be blown up by a fighter run along a trench.

The big issue with the franchise so far was Solo being released too soon and amidst heavy competition.
Were I looking at that movie I would have focused less on it being the Han Solo origin and more of a prequel that happened to include Solo as part of its ensemble. "The Kessel Job" or something, and really emphasise the heist aspect.

Really, the biggest problem with Star Wars right now isn’t the movies. It’s that China doesn’t give an eff about them. The second biggest box office in the world and Star Wars doesn’t translate. They lack the nostalgia and just don’t care.

Star Wars needs to focus less on big blockbusters and more smaller mid-budget pictures, where they can make a profit just from the national box office.

pukunui

Legend
Isn’t it obvious? Prior to Episode VII, the Force was asleep. People had to work hard (some harder than others) to tap into it. But now that the Force is awake, people can tap into it without as much training.

Personally I like Rey, but then I have three daughters, so I’m undoubtedly biased.

Zardnaar

Legend
Isn’t it obvious? Prior to Episode VII, the Force was asleep. People had to work hard (some harder than others) to tap into it. But now that the Force is awake, people can tap into it without as much training.

Personally I like Rey, but then I have three daughters, so I’m undoubtedly biased.

Maybe but the scene in TFA seems to imply it's more Rey herself.

Legends did kind of touch on this but it came a bit out of left field in the movie. Before legends died they we're kind of going with a balance of the force.

If it's the force awakens overall wouldn't Kylo get more powerful? The Legends thing makes a bit more sense. Legends did kind of have this problem as well in terms of a protagonist for Luke especially as Luke became a Grandmaster.

If that's what they are going with they could have done a bit better in execution.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
This was ALWAYS going to happen. There was no way around it. To have a sequel you need conflict and drama. You need a problem to be solved. An enemy. The galaxy needs to be in danger.That inherently means the heroes had to fail. The Empire need to come back. There's no way around it beyond pulling a brand new unseen enemy out of your ass and forcing it into the world. And that almost never works and everyone would complain "this doesn't feel like Star Wars".
What Force Awakens did was to negate the heroes' efforts in the original trilogy.

What would have been better would be to put in Leia's mouth a short history lesson: the New Republic was strong, vibrant, chased the Empire to the fringes of the galaxy. As the next generation grew up, they knew not oppression or tyranny, turned inwards. They thought peace and prosperity were the natural order instead of things to be cultivated. -Briefly explain the political manipulations that winkled "the old lady" to the political wilderness.- The First Order is an Imperial successor splinter state. The New Republic of today is blind and happy, not paying attention to dangers on the Rim. A few people still remember and are trying to help, with the resources they can scavenge or persuade.

A short similar speech for Luke and Han. The core of their efforts is still there, but the direction is in somebody else's hands.

Btw, I would have Lando show up in IX, leading a group of not-very-organized Republic citizens who have volunteer-soldiered for the duration of the emergency (triggered by blowing up the Republic's capital world).

pukunui

Legend
Maybe but the scene in TFA seems to imply it's more Rey herself.
Maybe Rey is the real Chosen One, not Anakin. Maybe she's even an embodiment of the Force. The Force made flesh, as it were.

That said, Finn had an awakening. R2-D2 had an awakening. Maybe that stable boy in TLJ had an awakening too.

If that's what they are going with they could have done a bit better in execution.
I won't argue with that. There's a lot that could have been done better in execution ... in *all* the Star Wars movies, not just the latest ones.

Zardnaar

Legend
Maybe Rey is the real Chosen One, not Anakin. Maybe she's even an embodiment of the Force. The Force made flesh, as it were.

That said, Finn had an awakening. R2-D2 had an awakening. Maybe that stable boy in TLJ had an awakening too.

I won't argue with that. There's a lot that could have been done better in execution ... in *all* the Star Wars movies, not just the latest ones.

I have had the thought she is the chosen one. It's a big retcon though borderline hamfisted and won't go down well. Do that you have mostly made the first 6 movies pointless.

You know the stuff people care about.

pukunui

Legend
Do that you have mostly made the first 6 movies pointless.
The galactic status quo as of the start of the new trilogy already more or less did that.

Plus, the whole Chosen One prophecy is in itself a retcon, since it only really comes up in the prequel era.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
The galactic status quo as of the start of the new trilogy already more or less did that.

Plus, the whole Chosen One prophecy is in itself a retcon, since it only really comes up in the prequel era.
Also, the chosen one was to balance the force, not be the strongest.

Zardnaar

Legend
Out of the various force philosophies in canon, legends etc I think I like the balance best. The Sith or whatever will always be recreated through Jedi that fall.

Legends was hinting at that at the end of Fate of the Jedi which overall was a bit meh but the young Sith girl I liked and how they portrayed her temptation to the light with Ben.

Not much is original in the new ones;) The dark side temptation to the light is interesting.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
/snip of a whole bunch of proper nouns that I have absolutely no idea what they refer to.

:lol: Sorry bud, but, you're going to have to drop the analogies. I loathe Game of Thrones, so, have zero idea what you're talking about. Never read any of the EU Star Wars stuff other than the Thrown books some twenty or thirty years ago. Maybe a handful of comic books?

See, I don't judge Star Wars based on a bunch of extraneous stuff that has zero connection to what's on the screen. I judge it by what I'm watching. And, so far, the movies have been pretty darn entertaining. Which, honestly, is all I want.

Remove ads