My return to TTRPG w/ 5e, reflections after 5 years

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Glad you like the art, though. They need to expand their selection. Dip into the MtG artists more.

You are probably onto something here. Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica (GGtR) has some of the most gorgeous art of any of the 5e books. I have no intention of running a Ravnica game, I just enjoy reading the books and looking at the art, maybe taking bit and pieces to put into my other campaign.

I never got into MtG, when I started to become big just as I was getting ready to go to college, I had a chip on my shoulder about it. That's too young to be a grognard, but I just didn't like what I saw as D&D without the role playing. And the new fans were not hard core fantasy nerds. Kinda how deadheads felt about new fans when Touch of Gray came out or how comic book fans felt when superhero movies started becoming big.

It's absolutely ridiculous in hind sight, but nerd tribalism is a thing. I saw it in some threads when GGtR was released. One nice thing about stepping away from the hobby for so long as most of that fell away. I'm now the outsider coming into a hobby that evolved without me and I can rediscover it with new eyes. And it is nice to be able to do as an adult who is too old be to cool. I can enjoy things unironically and not care what others think.

I'm still not into CCGs, for reasons that are off topic, but I have been looking over a lot of the MtG art and have discovered some cool concepts. For example, saw some art recently in another thread here on EN World that showed magic users of some sort which were enclosed and "riding" within these large magic spirit animals. It seems like a great alternative imaging of druid wild shape.

While it may be anathema to purists on both sides, I personally welcome more D&D and MtG crossovers.

MNblockhead

My final thoughts are that I really like where I am with the game right now. I really feel I am at a high point at the moment with the game, the group, and with 5E in general. Currently I have no plans to try other TTRPGs but the idea has crossed my mind. At the moment I am having too much fun in 5E to have that attention put on another game.

I hear you. On the other hand, there has always been that part of me that wants to try new things. To tweak. To play with radically different concepts and mechanics. That itch has been scratched mostly in my profession, which involves a lot of technology. But I can't help but not have that affect my gaming as well.

My answer to that is to pick up a system and run the occasional one shot, but what I really enjoy is going to a local gaming convention, where I'll generally avoid 5e an just try new game systems. This weekend I'll be at Con of the North and will be playing The Expanse, the Pathfinder 2.0 playtest, Starfinder, InSPECTres, Dialect, Dungeon Craw Classics and I'll be running a few learn to play sessions of Illimat (a card game, not a TTRPG)

I've also found Meetup.com to be great for finding one shots. When I travel for business, I've I have my evening free, I'll look for some one shots in the area. While it can be very difficult to get in on a 5e game at the last minute, I find that it is much easier to find people looking to run sessions of more obscure systems.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I agree with you on the goblins in PF. I absolutely hate the way they look.

As for 5e: The artist(s) is skilled (I think the vast majority of the art in the core 3 is from Conceptopolis) without a doubt, but their style is absolute garbage to my eyes. There are some monsters I really like the look of (5e ogre looks a hell of a lot better than 3e ogre), but the vast majority (to me) looks terrible. Tiny baby feet on the halflings (it would be like Shaq wearing a size 8 instead of his size 22), the sahuagin, the giants, and many others. All terrible. HOWEVER, I gladly admit they are better than 2 of the artists used in 3rd edition (initials W.E. and D.C., the last of which made all the art in Masters of the Wild). My favorite artist from the 3e era was Steve Prescott, while Wayne Reynolds is hit or miss (he does the core book covers for Pathfinder). Also, the portraits in Out of the Abyss I am not a fan of either.

Glad you like the art, though. They need to expand their selection. Dip into the MtG artists more.
I really liked the work of Jeremy Jarvis in the 3rd Edition books. I was happy to see him listed first among the art directors for "Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica" (not at all surprising, given the amount of work he has done for several M:tG blocks over the years.)

Volund

Explorer
I'm one of the apparently large number of "lapsed gamers" that 5e brought back into the fold. ...

How about you? Did 5e bring you or anyone in your gaming groups back to gaming? Where are you/they nearly 5 years in?

As a kid who was heavily immersed in sci-fi and fanstasy novels in the 70's, D&D was life-changing. Someone in the adult world had taken the things I loved seriously enough to create a game where you could play in those worlds with your friends. Seemingly overnight in the Chicago suburbs the hobby and book stores had lead figures and Judge's Guild mega-dungeons and small paperbacks with names like "Greyhawk" and "Eldritch Wizardry" with its risque cover. I was introduced to D&D in 1978 and bought the Holmes set with B1 In Search of the Unknown in 1979, playing regularly until I went off to college in 1984. I had a decent collection of core books, modules, and Grenadier figures (I had all twelve of the Dragon Lords figures although I only got around to painting the black and the brass dragons). Once I got to college the guy in the next dorm room invited me to his D&D game but when I saw the crew he was putting together I quickly realized that I would have to choose between D&D social stigma and ever having a chance to date women (sounds mean today but I'm sad to say I was a shallow and judgmental person then). I didn't play again for over 30 years, but never stopped carrying a torch for D&D. A few years after college I was aware that 2e had come out and I recall thumbing through the PHB in a bookstore. I remember thinking that the Barbarian class was stupid. Anyone could be a barbarian - that's just a background. Incidentally, one of my English professors was Dr. Roald Tweet, something of an icon on our small campus. Many years later I read that someone named Jonathan Tweet had written the 3e rules. That seemed like an unusual name so I checked and sure enough he is the son of my English professor, which if you had taken class from him, it would make sense that his son would write a D&D ruleset. For 25 years after my last D&D game I kept a box of my D&D stuff. Between the books and the lead it was heavy. With every move the corners would get a little bashed and the packing tape yellowed. Every so often I would read through one of the core rulebooks and reminisce about playing D&D as a teen. Finally in 2009 we were moving out of state and I thought, "This is stupid. You're never going to play D&D again. Just let that dream die." So I dropped the whole box in the trash on the day I packed up the last of my stuff and moved to Ohio.

Late 2015, a couple of threads spun together to draw me back to D&D. I read an article on Slate about a new biography of Gary Gygax, Empire of the Imagination. The article mentioned that there was a new version of D&D that was gaining in popularity and that you could download the basic rules for free from the WotC website. A few weeks later, an old high school friend came to town to stay with me to see his team play in the MLS championship. He had played a paladin in my campaign, we used to paint minis together, and he still played D&D with his kids. He told me that they were excited when he told them he was going to stay with the person who had taught him how to play D&D. I downloaded the basic rules, started poring over online discussions and character guides, joined D&D FB groups, built characters even though I had no game to play in yet. I did that for about 10 months and finally bought dice and a PHB and in September 2016 went to a D&D meetup at a bar and launched my AL tempest cleric. It took a few sessions to break the habit of rolling a d20 for a random 1-10 result. When I started the dice sets didn't come with a d10. I've been playing an average of twice a week ever since.

Not five, but two plus years in I have two regular gaming groups and I am currently the DM in one of them running the Goodman Games Into the Unknown. We are almost done with that and will move into Rappan Athuk next. I have met more people and made more friends in two years playing D&D than I had in the previous seven years in my current city. I love the 5e rules so much more than 1e. Overall it still feels like D&D and I never pine for the old rules. Well, I wish we still had a random harlot table in the DMG. Maybe it will show up in the upcoming seafaring release. I've built up a new collection of 5e materials and painted some minis. I worry that the 5e wave will crash in a few years and I'll have a shelf of D&D books and no group to play with again.

One of the consequences of such a long lapse is that I don't share a lot of canon with those who have played in the intervening years. I never read a D&D novel, had never heard of Drizzt Durden, never read any Dragonlance, have no connection to Dark Sun, Eberron, Spelljammer. I stopped playing before Ravenloft and Strahd and had no knowledge of them until Curse of Strahd in 5e. I don't long for the return of the Warlord, Artificer, or Mystic classes. Heck, I still think of Illusionists, Assassins, Monks, Bards, Paladins, Rangers and Druids as the "new" classes. There never was a Spellplague. The history of the Forgotten Realms is lost on me. I'm still Greyhawk at heart, and it's the setting I'm using now in my campaign. Another consequence of my D&D lapse is that my mind is not cluttered with how things used to work in previous editions and I think it helps me take the rules at face value and not get too confused or upset about how the game plays in 5e.

Before D&D I used to be a cyclist regularly riding 250 miles a week until a back injury shut me down for a year. Replacing that obsession with D&D has added about 20 pounds in 2 years.

I also have played Hero Kids with my daughter with mixed results but she likes tabletop gaming in general and really gets into fair tales and magic and fighting monsters. I don't know if she will play D&D, but I have used my D&D adventures as bedtime stories and now she is asking to be one of the characters in the story. We used the PHB to pick out a class - Druid - and some spells, and now we're creating stories together. It's a promising start.

Long post, maybe nobody cares. The OP sparked some memories...

MNblockhead

@Volund Sounds like we had a similar journey, except I was into gaming through the 80s until just before 2e came out. Although I never had anything for Forgotten Realms, I have a lot of nolstalgia for Greyhawk, Dragon Lance, and the 1e Ravenloft module. When my interest was rekindled, before I started playing again, I devoured books about the hobby. For non-fiction I liked: Playing at the World, The Evolution of Fantasy Roleplaying Games, Fantasy Freaks & Gaming Geeks, Of Dice and Men, Empires of the Imagination.

I also went back an re-read the first four Dragonlance novels and then read many of the formative works that influence Gary Gygax and his generation of games. In particular the Conan novels and Fafhrd and Gray Mouser. I also got back into reading more recent fantasy. Name of the Wind, but Patrick Rothfuss in particular blew me a way.

As for gaming with kids. I also started my kids on Hero Labs. We also played some made-for-young-kinds 5e modules. But the system I always recommend for young kids or kids who like to focus on the story making over a lot of rules is the excellent "No Thank You, Evil!" Not a fan of the name, but that is the only complaint I have. It is an excellent system that is easy to pick up and fun to play and the production values are great.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am currently running Rappan Athuk. I'm also running using GP for XP.

Last edited:

Remove ads