WOIN Max dice pools

I understand that the mechanism for defining a maximum dice pool is based on the Grade is Attribute + Skill + Equipment (and that there are some factors that can add/subtract dice but these are not included in the Grade cap).

Q1. For skill checks, I assume any excess dice (Attribute + Skill) over the maximum for the Grade are just lost?

Q2. Does this limitation apply to Combat? If so, what happens to any "excess" dice? Example: if the Grade 5 PC ends up with a basic (A+S+E) dice pool of 7d6, what happens to the excess 2d6? Are these just lost or can they be "converted" to a bonus damage dice?

Q3. Does the maximum dice pool for a Grade also bite when calculating derived statistics? These are driven by the core attributes plus dice from the skills (example: Health is END + WIL + Hardy) and might exceed the Grade maximum.

Just want to make sure that I'm not diddling my players out of dice! :p

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
1. Yep.
2. Also lost. An attack is just an attribute check.
3. Health isn’t an attribute check, so no. Defenses, however, are (averaged) attribute checks.

M3woods

Explorer
We use a houserule for Maximum Dice Pool: after building your dice pool for a check, each 2d6 over MDP may be converted to a +1 bonus to the current check. Or, a player can let them accrue (notating the extra dice) and may trade them, 6:1, for a Luck dice recharge. So far, there's been no issues with it. But my games tend to lean toward closer to taste paced space opera; more Buck Rogers, less ST:TNG.

We use a houserule for Maximum Dice Pool: after building your dice pool for a check, each 2d6 over MDP may be converted to a +1 bonus to the current check. Or, a player can let them accrue (notating the extra dice) and may trade them, 6:1, for a Luck dice recharge. So far, there's been no issues with it. But my games tend to lean toward closer to taste paced space opera; more Buck Rogers, less ST:TNG.

I do like the +2d6 == +1 houserule and I think I'll pick that up for my game - thanks!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases