Rappan Athuk

LankyOgre

First Post
Does anybody have experience with the Pathfinder version of Rappan Athuk? Any good links to advice or issues? Anybody know if there are any Roll20 resources already created? I’m think of running this adventure for some family and I’d like to get some thoughts before I begin.

Retreater

Legend
I ran a few sessions of the 3.0 Rappan Athuk paperbacks and a few sessions of the 3.5 Rappan Athuk Reloaded (RARE). I have not run it in Pathfinder, but I guess the feel is largely unchanged, which is really the only advice I have. I would say: make sure the players know what they're in for (a deadly, old school megadungeon). I wiped out a party with the green guardian gargoyles just getting to the mausoleum.

If you haven't been to the old Necromancer Games forums, there are a lot of threads on there you can read. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/necromancergames/

LankyOgre

First Post
Even there, it seems like there isn’t a lot of info about the PATHFINDER version. I guess there isn’t a lot of interest in Rappan Athuk anymore.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'm running the recently Kickstarted 5e version.

Unfortunately, the best place for any Frog God Game discussions--whether Rappan Athuk, the Lost Lands setting in general, or other FGG materials--is their Discord channel. Their official forum is not very active, nor is the Rappan Athuk subreddit. Discord is a terrible plat form for trying to search and read through older conversations. But if you post a question there, you'll have a much better chance of getting good answers from knowledgeable fans than on the forums or on Reddit.

Celebrim

Legend
There were a few inspired encounters in Rappan Athak, but mostly the adventures creativity was confined to using 3e's monster creation and modification rules (advancement, templates, class levels). As such, it's an excellent resource for the time it was created in how you can use 3e's rules to create truly unique and dangerous monsters, and it does expose a modern player to some old school design techniques but I'm not sure that it's an adventure that has really aged all that well. I feel it's an adventure for groups that really dig system mastery and I can't say that it's really feeding any other aesthetic of play. If the group is the sort that loves squeezing every possible +1 into an action, plans out characters and moves with excel spreadsheets, and charops to the point that they have some 'hammer' power that lets them treat all problems as a nail, then they'll probably do quite well and have a lot of fun. Less serious minded groups perhaps not so much.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
I've run a fair bit of Rappan Athuk under 3e and PF. Anything specific you're looking for? Otherwise, I'll throw some ideas down shortly...

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I'm currently running it under S&W and ran it under 3.5 in the past, well part of it. Its a killer dungeon, old school style, and some things are there just to challenge the players and may not make perfect sense in a logical world. I just tell them logic has no place in S&W. With a system like PF they may want to have some PC on standby.

Paths Peculiar

First Post
Whether you play the PF version or not, you might enjoy the map of Zelkor's Ferry I drew. It's a little bit nicer than the map in the printed adventure, and since the characters might spend quite a lot of time in the settlement, the map could prove useful.

I would like to provide a link to my website where I post a lot of similar stuff, but since I'm a new member on the forum I believe I'm not allowed to post links just yet. It's at wistedt.net, and I also have an instagram account called @Paths.peculiar

zelkors_ferry_map_rappan_athuk.png

Remove ads